Back injury + no working out = weight gain!?!?

Options
Jacked my back up this morning and I'm hoping it will be a minimal setback when it comes to working out. I've gotten used to doing the Insanity workouts each night and get a little anxious when I don't have to do one. Pretty sure the back issue is an inflamed disc and after talking to a good friend who is a Chiropractor, he gave me some tips to help with the healing process.

Anyhow, I'm completely bummed about the situation because I feel like I've been progressing through the workouts & beginning to get a grasp on my diet with the help of many others. Which therein lies my question...how the heck do I adjust my diet now that I'm laying off working out to Insanity for several days? I can't just continue to eat this many calories can I (2500)? Any tips on what I can do food wise to get me through this?

Thanks!

Replies

• MISSMILL3405
    MISSMILL3405 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Well, maybe if you would listen to your significant other and go to the doctor we could get it healed a lot faster. Hmmmmmm????
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Jacked my back up this morning and I'm hoping it will be a minimal setback when it comes to working out. I've gotten used to doing the Insanity workouts each night and get a little anxious when I don't have to do one. Pretty sure the back issue is an inflamed disc and after talking to a good friend who is a Chiropractor, he gave me some tips to help with the healing process.

Anyhow, I'm completely bummed about the situation because I feel like I've been progressing through the workouts & beginning to get a grasp on my diet with the help of many others. Which therein lies my question...how the heck do I adjust my diet now that I'm laying off working out to Insanity for several days? I can't just continue to eat this many calories can I (2500)? Any tips on what I can do food wise to get me through this?

Thanks!
    Possibly drop back by 10-20% monitor. Right now you're eating at an activity level that you're not doing.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I think you know the answer to your question. :ohwell: If you continue eating the same amount of calories, without working out, you'll probably gain weight. Cut back until you heal, then hit it hard again.
  • koolmum
    Options
    You could try setting the activity level to sedentary to adjust your calories.
    Take the time to heal properly ~ back injuries can be a life long problem if not taken care of.
  • scubahsteve69
    scubahsteve69 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    20% doesn't even sound like enough...But I really don't know how much to cut back...I was consuming an average of about 15-1600 while doing Insanity. Just yesterday I upped it to around 2500 because I felt plateaued at my current weight. Now this morning since this happened, I'm thinking drop it back down to maybe 11-1200? At least until I can straighten my back out again!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    well that depends. is your exercise included in your daily activity level? or do you add in and eat exercise calories?
    if you set MFP up as intended, just eat at the level it gives you.
    if you have different settings, just figure out what you ate to fuel your workouts, and dont eat that much while youre recovering.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I would go see a doctor. Back injuries can go from bad to worst very quickly. I have heard A LOT of testaments of people messing up their back from Insanity. I was interested in trying it but all of these stories scare me.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Just keep it simple for a week or so and give your body time to heal. Remember proper body mechanics for lifting. But most importantlly, go to your Dr to rule out significant injury. If it's muscle related, you will be able to work through that, but if it is spinal related, you need to make sure that you are taking the right precautions to not make it worse. Go to your DR. asap, and if it is muscular, you don't have to be laid up on the couch gaining wt. That's the whole deal in a nutshell. Good luck to ya, and I hope you feel better soon. Also remember RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation! I know you can't very well elevate your back, but you can use an ace wrap and wrap it around your body for compression. After a couple of days, you can alternate heat and ice. Heat for 15 to 30 minutes, rest your body and ice it for 15 to 30 minutes.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    20% doesn't even sound like enough...But I really don't know how much to cut back...I was consuming an average of about 15-1600 while doing Insanity. Just yesterday I upped it to around 2500 because I felt plateaued at my current weight. Now this morning since this happened, I'm thinking drop it back down to maybe 11-1200? At least until I can straighten my back out again!

I wouldn't go below 1200 cals. Figure out your BMR and take about 500 cals off. But don't go below 1200. Your body will start eating all your hard work (muscles).
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

I wouldn't go below 1200 cals. Figure out your BMR and take about 500 cals off. But don't go below 1200. Your body will start eating all your hard work (muscles).
    really isnt great to eat below your BMR - thats what your body would need if you were in a bed in a coma. the second you get out of bed you start burning more calories. figuring your TDEE and taking 500 off would be the best best if you dont want to just let MFP set up your numbers
  • MISSMILL3405
    Options
    SEE!!!!!! WE CAN'T ALL BE WRONG! (oops, meant to quote now I can't delete this. See below!) :sad:
  • MISSMILL3405
    Options
    I would go see a doctor. Back injuries can go from bad to worst very quickly. I have heard A LOT of testaments of people messing up their back from Insanity. I was interested in trying it but all of these stories scare me.

Hey, dog Whisperer, you getting the hint now! LOL! See.......we can't all be wrong now can we????
  • aenderson
    Options

Hey, dog Whisperer, you getting the hint now! LOL! See.......we can't all be wrong now can we????

Wow! Sounds like good advice to me!!!!!!!!! ;)