Should I eat more on days I exercise?

Options
I've just upped my calorie intake from 1250 to 1350 because I've noticed I'm plateauing...

I know that this is because I've started playing netball again, so I know I need to up my calorie intake, but I'm not sure whether it's best to stick to 1250 on the days I don't exercise, and then up it a coupel hundred on the days I do exercise, or whether I should average it over the week, and just eat a higher amount every day.

Pointers?

Replies

• MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You should eat at least some of your exercise calories - I think it is a huge debate as to what works. For me, I eat about 50%-60% of the exercise calories, sometimes more. If you are plateauing, you should play with it and experiment. But I'd eat them on the day you earned them. Just my humble opinion. There will probably be plenty more opinions :wink:
  • angraham2
    Options
    You should always net at least 1200 calories. I always try to eat half or more of my exercise calories. It takes fuel to burn fuel!
  • lovinmysoldier
    lovinmysoldier Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    What works for one doesn't work for all. So here's what I do for what it's worth.
    The plan is NOT to eat my exercise calories, but if I happen to use them I don't stress about it. Yesterday, I didn't use any, today I'll at least use some. I don't think there is any hard and fast rule. Listen to your body, it knows what it needs.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to exercise calories usually. I just try to stay around 1400 or so on days I don't work out. And I'll eat anywhere from 1400 to 1800 on workout days... and this usually depends on how hungry I am after working out. It also kind of carries over into the next day for me also... like, some days I'll be super hungry the next day as well.

So... yeah, usually eating more on days you work out is normal and a good thing. Your body needs that extra for repairing muscles and such.
  • falyncranston
    falyncranston Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! Think I'll stick to just eating a little more on the days I exercise and see how that goes for now.