Pole dancing as exercise?

Options
There's a new pole dancing society opening at my university, I'm tempted to join. Anyone do it/know of it's benefits?

Replies

• erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine took up pole dancing for exercise and ended up competing in national competitions. She has a lot of muscle tone now and totally lost a bunch of weight. She now works out with a personal trainer to help her cross-train and get stronger so she can do more difficult moves.

I say go for it!
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I hear you get dollars everytime you are on the pole!!

LOL, I kid... it looks like fun, if there was something like that around here I would totally try it! I say DO IT!
  • meggy_182
    meggy_182 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My upper body strength SUCKS right now. I have a feeling it will be a pretty eventful first few sessions xD
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's a really great workout, have considered it myself once I build up my upper body strength so I don't fall on my face lol
  • ncw89
    ncw89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I know 2 people who do it as an exercise class and both rave about how much they love it x)
    It's supposed to be fantastic for your arm and chest muscles but also your thighs too I think? I'm told the atmosphere is very friendly, everyone is there to have fun and its apparently a great laugh - nothing sleazy about it :)
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Pole dancing is great exercise. I 've done it twice. I really like. I think you should give it a try.
  • gsxrchick
    Options
    YES!!!

I have been poling for about seven months now and I absolutely love it. It was pole dancing that actually made me commit to weight loss because pulling all that extra weight up on the pole was entirely too difficult! I just started inverting this week and if it weren't for the ten pounds that I have lost so far, I dont know if I would be able to do it. The pole is either in static or spin mode-- the pole rotates and you have to focus on holding a pose while fighting the centrifugal force from taking you off the pole. I have gotten so much stronger because of it, and it is a workout! Try it out, stick to it, you wont be disappointed :)
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I took a pole dancing class once...it was HARD! I have to give the dancers in the world props for doing that stuff. The arms and legs muscles needed to pull that stuff together...wow...I left that class with two big bruises on my legs! It definitely a good workout.
  • JessK78
    JessK78 Posts: 26
    Options
    i did it for a few weeks but really struggled as i have so little upper body strength and felt like i was falling behind others in the class...i'd like to get stronger then go back, it was loads of fun and a great workout. the bruises though, oh my god!!
  • diam0nddagger
    Options
    It's amazing! Just try it, you'll become addicted :)
  • zoewoodland
    zoewoodland Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Its amazing, you should definately try it. Its such a good work out, ive been doing it for a year now and still feel the effects. The first few times you go, you will be really sore for a few days after but you build up strength pretty quickly and it really is such an addiction that i had to get a pole at home aswel. Just be aware of the bruises, some of mine have been pretty horrific and it is painful but once you start getting good at it, its worth it. Its so impressive to be able to do it aswel. Good Luck x
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I wanna do it!! I've seen it advertised before but not anywhere near where I live :(

GO FOR IT :drinker:
  • meggy_182
    meggy_182 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Went to a class today!! Learnt basic hand positioning and there were so many different shaped/ability girls there felt really comfortable.
    Been search for a pole for at home since coming back!
  • jenlee74
    Options
    Went to a class today!! Learnt basic hand positioning and there were so many different shaped/ability girls there felt really comfortable.
    Been search for a pole for at home since coming back!

I have been doing it for 13 weeks now, at first I could barely hold myself up - but i stuck at it and guess what 13 weeks later I am turning myself upside down and just holding my body weight with just my legs upside down, and just my arms in different hand positons. Not only is it strenght and a bit of cardio the conffidence is also a good thing....

so proud! keep at it :)
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    its awesome. i did one class and it was a blast. sign up, it's worth it.
  • katya73
    katya73 Posts: 464
    Options
    I did this a few months back just for fun... It is amazing !! And I found addictive !! It is extremely challenging and demanding on the body .. But my upper body strengthened and toned soo rapidly .. Great for your core strength and flexibility !!! I highly recommend you try it out !!! But yess at the start expect a few falls n bruises ;) ..
  • huck23
    huck23 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    good tips:laugh:
  • pennyb38
    Options
    I have been doing it for about 4 weeks now and LOVE it!!!! I had no idea what I was doing when I first started and now I can flip upside down and all kinds of crazy things. It awesome to see how fast you bild upper body strength doing this. Try it for sure!!
  • living_life
    Options
    i love it !! totaly addicted! started about 7 months ago with absolutly no upper body strengh but if you keep at it it really does make a differance and its a great laugh too :)
  • abbeysadleir
    abbeysadleir Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    one of my friends is a pole dancing instructor and she has a fantastic body! after having two kids as well! pole dancing is amazing, i've always wanted to try it