If I screwed up yesterday, should I compensate today?

Options
Hi all! Just wondering, if I overate the last two days (enough to maintain my weight instead of lose) should I try to make up for that by eating even less than my -500 calories today? In other words, should I eat even less under my calories than MFP tells me to today, because I went over the last 2 days?

Just trying to figure out how to make this work. You can also see my Diary and see that between the last two days, I went over by 1,000 calories which means I maintained (since I have a deficit of 5oo calories a day) Please advise.

Thanks for your help! :-)

Replies

• JamzPurse
    JamzPurse Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Don't try to compensate for the last 2 days. Eat the correct deficit today and from now on. Everyday is a new day and a fresh start.
  • CoralConnor
    CoralConnor Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! Very true, and I forgave myself for the last 2 days of late night peanut butter overload. :P Back on the horse
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you stayed in the maintenance area. Today is a new day, so just get back on track and in a week or two it won't seem like you had those days off at all.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I agree with that. If I tried to make up for every day I overate, well. I'd spend the next few months not eating. :D
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    I wouldn't! Forgive yourself, and just focus on eating more holistically today. :) For me, trying to catch up was just too frustrating... I felt deprived, and would end up blowing it even more in reaction. Worst case scenario, you have a week without losses. That's okay! You're eating more sensibly and systematically.. which takes time to adjust to and embed as a habit.
  • crymzen
    crymzen Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I took Valentines Day as a cheat day (a gift of chocolates from my husband). The next day I was in an all day seminar and just didn't have enough will power when I walked by that pastry display. Don't know how one cheat day turned into two but I just chalked up to experience and am trying not to beat myself up over it. Next day is always a clean slate.
  • LewisFishman
    Options
    If you've got yourself caught up in an occasional craving, enjoy it. But get right back on! I'd say, don't try to compensate beyond what's comfortable. I'm willing to bet the following is true of most of us who are trying to get (back) into shape:

1) We try like maniacs to eat right, exercise, etc.
    2) We lapse, and get mad as h-ll.
    3) We give up hope, and so nothing really changes....

This time, it's DIFFERENT. If you go off for a day or two, just love yourself, forgive yourself, and get right back on where you started. No judgment, no self-loathing, no trying to make up for lost time. Patience and kindness are the key. You have to be firm, but polite, with your body. It WILL work this time.

And we're here to help encourage you and give you strength and peace.
  • amyrobynne
    amyrobynne Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'd probably try to split the difference but not go much under 1,200 net calories. If you're starving, then it's not worth it, but if you're debating whether to have an extra snack, I'd try to compensate a bit for the day before.
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. Just start fresh in your new day.

I enjoy a line from "Love Begins in Winter" by Simon Van Booy.

"You have thousands of lives...each one only lasts a day" not a direct quotation.

:)
  • CoralConnor
    Options
    Thanks, you all are awesome! :-) This was my first message board post as well, and it's great to see all the support AND sound logic you all have when it comes to these things.
  • CoralConnor
    Options
    Valentine's day did it for me, too. Just too many references to chocolate and candy by friends and on TV, etc. I ate a few too many homemade brownies, and then overate the next day too in response! Funny how one overeating day turns into two... I guess you lose that positive momentum from knowing you did well the day before.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    The goal is to string more good days than bad ones together and that will bring success. I found for me when I tried to compensate I really couldn't and that made me feel crappy and then I would go into a spin and that caused more bad days. Crazy merry go round. Now if I have a bad day, I just get back to good eating the next and call it life. Good luck and Git-R-Done!
  • hawk1981
    Options
    The past two days for me have been off as well! Instead of focusing on how to "undo" damage I'm focusing on "preventing" the same mistakes. I have a game plan to stay within my calorie goal and get some exercise in tommorow.
  • OneSchrutebuck
    Options
    If you've got yourself caught up in an occasional craving, enjoy it. But get right back on! I'd say, don't try to compensate beyond what's comfortable. I'm willing to bet the following is true of most of us who are trying to get (back) into shape:

1) We try like maniacs to eat right, exercise, etc.
    2) We lapse, and get mad as h-ll.
    3) We give up hope, and so nothing really changes....

This time, it's DIFFERENT. If you go off for a day or two, just love yourself, forgive yourself, and get right back on where you started. No judgment, no self-loathing, no trying to make up for lost time. Patience and kindness are the key. You have to be firm, but polite, with your body. It WILL work this time.

And we're here to help encourage you and give you strength and peace.

Love this post! Excellent words and encouragement for all of us!
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    The day I started using MFP I ate awful. And seeing it in numbers made me make this change. I have never been so focused on being healthy.