Some more questions for swimmers

Options
some of you gave me some really helpful novice swimmer suggestions a few months ago

I am now having group lessons at my local pool (great), happily swming for 30 with few rests, learning dolphin, have discovered my breaststroke technique is pretty good and improving and managed to get myself to do the odd lap of crawl. It is time for some new goals...

My pool is 33m long and I am usually taking 27-30 Breast strokes a lap, quite a slow repetition and with a longish glide. Is this about right? Should I concentrate on doing the repititions faster or making each kick stronger?

I don't quite understand the training schedules on swimming websites (they are written in code!) and I suspect they are assuming a longer swim than I have time for and greater fitness. What goals do people set themselves (I am time limited and there is not a lap clock in the pool..).

Thanks for your suggestions.

Replies

• sninny
    sninny Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am by no means a swimming expert, but I swam competitively for about 6 years growing up. I'm also not a pro at breaststroke, I'm more of a freestyler. But I definitely think you should focus on making each stroke more efficient, rather than just making them faster. Your strokes should be long and strong, especially with a strong kick. You can focus on speed after you've built up muscle and mastered proper technique. Fast, short strokes aren't going to give you the most efficient workout.

Again, I'm no expert, so take this all with a grain of salt. :flowerforyou: Good luck to you! I don't have access to an indoor pool right now so I'm a little jealous of your pool access. Happy swimming!
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    thanks - I had a chat with my swimming tutor after posting my question, and he advised me I am doing roughly the right number of strokes for the length of pool... as you say, it is all about making each stroke make me go faster (and for me overcoming my dislike of frontcrawl/freestyle!)
  • ejoy319
    ejoy319 Posts: 104
    Options
    If you want a good workout in a limited amount of time try doing some sprints with a recovery lap of breaststroke in between. I do mostly distance now as I mostly do open water swimming, but when I am in the pool I will do a set of 10-50s of freestyle (up and back) as fast as I can with a breaststroke as my break instead of stopping. It will really get your heart pumping.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    thanks - yes i have probably got to get stuck into freestyle - though presumably backstroke is reasonably heart-rate raising too?

i don't quite get the code swimmers use - a set of 10-50s is ? (it is probably something reallly obvious!)
  • sninny
    sninny Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    thanks - yes i have probably got to get stuck into freestyle - though presumably backstroke is reasonably heart-rate raising too?

i don't quite get the code swimmers use - a set of 10-50s is ? (it is probably something reallly obvious!)

She means 10 sets of 50 yards. So if your pool is 25 yards in length then it's doing 2 laps 10 times.

I'm the opposite from you in that I love freestyle and don't like breaststroke. I don't really like backstroke either...I can't quite swim in a straight line and keep bumping into the lane lines. :blushing: If you really want to get your heart rate going you should do butterfly. Now THAT'S a workout!!
  • ejoy319
    Options
    Sorry confusing swimming lingo :)
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Chloe_Chaos_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Mixing it up is good too. I always write my swim schedule on a sticky note then stick it on the side of the pool. Usually it goes something like this:
    150 free (the pool I swim at is 25 length so I do 6 laps of freestyle)
    150 free kick (I get a kick board and I'll do 6 laps of just kicking)
    200 free pull (I just a pull buoy which goes in between your legs and forces you just to do freestyle with your arms, 8 laps)
    100 butterfly kick (again with the kick board, the butterfly kick is somewhat difficult but its a good quad workout so I do it lol, 4 laps)

and I might add a few other things such as a few laps of scissor kicks then another 150-200 free cool down (just a freestyle cool down).

I've never been a huge fan of breaststroke but your stroke should be long and push you far. It always seemed like a slower stroke to me. I love freestyle. I used to swim butterfly but these days my arm leg coordination isn't great and the fact that I do not have a swim coach makes it hard to get critiqued lol. Love swimming!

Good luck!

(PS: not sure if this answered ANY of your questions, but I hope so!)
  • gymshoe42
    gymshoe42 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    as already said, make each stroke count.
    for swim routines ... check this site out
    http://www.swimplan.com

puts together a swim workout for you.

backstroke for me is no break....yes I get to breath as much as I can, but for some reason i get more tired doing back than free.

ejoy...what's your pace for the 10x50's? ... more like what's a good pace?
  • ejoy319
    Options
    as already said, make each stroke count.
    for swim routines ... check this site out
    http://www.swimplan.com

puts together a swim workout for you.

backstroke for me is no break....yes I get to breath as much as I can, but for some reason i get more tired doing back than free.

ejoy...what's your pace for the 10x50's? ... more like what's a good pace?

I do them on the minute..... but I have been ocean swimming for awhile now... just don't have as much access to the pool. Try to pace your sprint 50 and then add about a 10 sec break.