Non-Meat High Protein Foods

Options
I'm trying to get more protein, less fat and less carbs. Looking at MFP diary I can see how my meat choices add protein but what non-meat alternatives are there to protein intake? I want to try to balance higher protein intake throughout the day and I'm looking for high protein snack ideas.

Replies

• ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Edamame beans are great, the ones I buy have 12 grams of protein (I think) and 8 carbs but 7 grams of dietary fiber making it only 1 net carb. I think you can even roast them in the oven with some spices and make a good finger food/snack.
  • TonyL68
    TonyL68 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I like hard-boiled egg whites and whole, natural almonds (no salt). I also like edemame, which was already suggested. Fish is also great, though I'm not sure if you want to exclude that as a "meat."
  • unicornassassin
    unicornassassin Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Nuts, beans, soy :smile:
  • Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, greek yogurt, any kind of cheese really you just have to watch the fat content!
  • bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm not worried about fat as I'm trying to bulk up with clean foods. Keeping my daily fat intake at a minimum of 30%. Can't really stomach cottage cheese since boot camp but i found reciepes to make whey shakes with it that I might try.
  • YMark
    YMark Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm not worried about fat as I'm trying to bulk up with clean foods. Keeping my daily fat intake at a minimum of 30%. Can't really stomach cottage cheese since boot camp but i found reciepes to make whey shakes with it that I might try.

I used to HATE cottage cheese, but now I really like it. Try mixing some low fat small curd with sugar free grape jelly. I make what I call Mark's gelato, but you have to be brave to try it. It is much better than it sounds.

3 tablespoons of cottage cheese (small curd, low fat)
    2 tablespoons of crunchy peanut butter
    1 scoop of chocolate whey protein

Mix rapidly with tablespoon in a decent size bowl. Good stuff and very healthy. :)
  • LewisFishman
    Options
    I enjoy Seapoint Farms Edamame. I like it bold and spicy--so I get the Wasabi flavored.
  • IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options
    My favorite go-to protein: pistachios. And also Greek yogurt... plain. I either add honey, fruit, Stevia, or any combo of the above.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Seapoint Farms Edamame.

I do too! I spray them with olive oil and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on them.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Mix the cottage cheese w/ Greek yogurt, fruit and granola. Or add some 365 fruit spread to the cottage chees. Lastly you can add the cottage cheese to a smoothie. I can't do cottage cheese either but this is how I get my protein in at times.
  • bigbeardiver
    Options
    Just had one but added strawberry and greens powder. Not bad

I used to HATE cottage cheese, but now I really like it. Try mixing some low fat small curd with sugar free grape jelly. I make what I call Mark's gelato, but you have to be brave to try it. It is much better than it sounds.

3 tablespoons of cottage cheese (small curd, low fat)
    2 tablespoons of crunchy peanut butter
    1 scoop of chocolate whey protein

Mix rapidly with tablespoon in a decent size bowl. Good stuff and very healthy. :)
  • YMark
    Options
    Not familiar with strawberry and green powder. What is it?
  • bigbeardiver
    Options
    Not familiar with strawberry and green powder. What is it?

Check out Barlean's Greens Powder. It is like a tablespoon of powder that gives you 11 servings of your daily vegetables. It can be on the expensive side but can't hurt. There are some that are just fruit and some that mix fruit and vegetables.
  • colleenob1
    colleenob1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I add Nutritional Yeast to a lot of things.
    Purely Bulk - Nutritional Yeast Flake, 2 Tbsp Calories:20 Carbs:3 Fat : 0 Protein: 3
  • Care563
    Care563 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    quinoa...then to add more protein add black beans mix with tomatoes, clinatro, avocado etc. You can get a lot of protein from a plant based diet. Even kale and other leafy greens have protein. I make a sandwich filling with chickpeas....mash them up add veganaise, chopped celery, relish, onion, capers, dijon etc...I also add kelp powder and it tastes like 'tuna" :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Seapoint Farms Edamame. I like it bold and spicy--so I get the Wasabi flavored.

avoid soy
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    beans . . . I like canneloni beans for their mild flavor, and soy beans for their phytoestrogens.

nuts Walnuts are my favorites.
  • xXKatrinaXx
    Options
    protein shakes
    protein bars
    egg whites
    greek yogurt
    cottage cheese
  • YMark
    Options
    My favorite go-to protein: pistachios. And also Greek yogurt... plain. I either add honey, fruit, Stevia, or any combo of the above.

Try putting some MiOEnergy on your Greek yogurt. Awesome.