Tammy's Journey to Health & Wellness - Another Newbie

Options
datenshi
datenshi Posts: 840 Member
Hi All,

I joined today and am very enthusiastic about working towards my goals. This is not my first time trying to lose weight and engage myself in a healthier lifestyle but I am feeling motivated to really work at it again and have already met a few great & supportive members on the board.

I started my blog so if you do wish to know more about me please feel free to have a look as I have made my first post.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/derocco

Well, I hope to come across lots of you other newbies on the boards and good luck with reaching your goals!

Take care,
Tammy

SW: 251
CW: 251
GW: 140-145

Replies

• WillyG
    WillyG Posts: 80
    Options
    Good Luck Tammy. I'm new as well. I started on Sunday and just love this site.
  • datenshi
    Options
    Good Luck Tammy. I'm new as well. I started on Sunday and just love this site.

Thank you so much for the welcome!

For everyone else I am wondering if any of you have the same problem as me and what you do about it. The problem... I dislike most vegetables and the ones I can stomach, I can only handle maybe one or two servings a week.

For someone trying to eat healthy, what would you reccommend I do?

I welcome all suggestions and look forward to hearing from any and all.

Take care,
    Tammy
  • ClaudiaRN
    ClaudiaRN Posts: 20
    Options
    Welcome to the site, I started back in Jan. and have been loving it. I have tried several diets in my life time and none worked like this. I think what makes it different is that this time I am not thinking of it as a diet but more of a life style change. I'm 51 years old and I can tell you that the older you get the harder it is to loose the weight and the harder it is to change your eating style and habits. I haven't been this weight in almost 20 years and it feels great to have lost this much. your young and you can do this. Just keep it up and don't try to loose too fast, 1-2 pounds per week works well and you won't feel deprived.. Oh and don't forget to drink the water!!:smile:
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi Tammy! Welcome aboard! I think you'll love this site. It's great to have a place where there are so many people with diverse opinions and ideas, yet still have a common goal. Best of luck to you. Hope to see you posting here frequently!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever. You will love this site, if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so supportive, helpful, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • datenshi
    Options
    Thank you all for the kind welcome to the site! I already feel energized and motivated by the wonderfully supportive people (including you all) I have talked to. Thanks for the great insight and advice as well. The more the better!!!

Have a great weekend!
    Tammy
  • 150lbs2go
    150lbs2go Posts: 104
    Options
    Welcome! :happy:
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    Welcome!

What vegetables will you eat?
  • datenshi
    Options
    Welcome!

What vegetables will you eat?

I managed to eat a fair amount of raw carrots yesterday. They are probably what I will stick to most when it comes to vegetables. I have been given some great suggestions on ways to prepare veggies and how to hide some on my food so I may experiment. It isn't going to be easy though...lol.

Thank for the welcome!!!

Take care,
    Tammy
  • hkuiuc99
    hkuiuc99 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hey Tammy,
    I am not that fond of VEGGIES either...but I started drinking V8 to help me get extra vegetable servings in my diet. You just have to watch out because there are calories in that so you have to watch that!
  • yentasdoitbetter
    yentasdoitbetter Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i RARELY eat anything healthy as well. i have weird OCD when it comes to food, like...i won't eat anything that tastes green (string beans, brussel sprouts, broccoli), only light sweet vegetables like lettuce, cucumber, green pepper. well, a week ago one of my girlfriends was eating some steamed snowpea vegetable mix. so i sucked it up and asked if i could try one, held my breathe and just DID IT! and ya know what? it didnt kill me! i actually liked it!

why dont you try tasting ONE healthy food every few weeks, if you don't like it then at least you tried!
  • datenshi
    Options
    Hi, me again...lol.

Hkuiuc99 – I did try V8 before but I didn’t like the taste. I do drink some of the drinks like that, but that are fruit based and they put some vegetable juice in. Not quite the same thing I guess but at least it is a little bit...lol.

Yentasdoitbetter – That is a good suggestion about trying one every few weeks because I haven’t tried all vegetables. It’s knowing that I don’t like most that I don’t try any others that I haven’t tried. Maybe I can make that one of my mini goals.

So, question to anyone who reads this thread or my blog (which has the same question)... what do you do (other than MFP) to keep yourself inspired to continue your journey?

Thanks again to all for your kind support and suggestions. I do take them all seriously.

Take care and good luck with your goals!
    Tammy
  • yentasdoitbetter
    Options
    if you havent tried them yet...snowpeas..they're really sweet and dont taste very vegetable'y lol

green giant has this one frozen steamer i like, has a good sauce with it...green giant garden vegetable medley. the whole box is 100 calories (serving size is half of it which is only 50 calories). since that's what i tried first, i'd suggest that one! smells delicious too! its potatoes, snowpeas and barely any red peppers in some oily garlicy sauce. that with a piece of chicken or small lean steak on the george foreman takes 4 minutes to make the whole thing
  • datenshi
    Options
    That sounds pretty good actually, especially if snow peas are sweet tasting. I will definitely look for that and I love the taste of garlic. Is there a specific store you know of that carries it?

Take care and thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I appreciate all the feedback from everyone.

Tammy
  • Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Welcome, we are glad you found us!

I too hate veggies, and I do not force myself to eat them. I eat healthy in all other respects, whole grains, high fiber, fruit, healthy fats, and lean protein. So I take "Greens" supplements. I know, not as good as the real thing, but life is too short to make myself eat something I hate.
  • datenshi
    Options
    I've had a few people recommend that to me so I picked some up and have been on it for two days. So we will see how that goes. If I can get my veggies in capsule form then that is awesome for me!! I will still try a lot of the others suggestions I've gotten on preparing them and different ways to get them in and that though.

Take care,
    Tammy

Happy 4th of July to the Americans on this list!!!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I hide my beans in taco meat and tuna. :flowerforyou:
    I've had a few people recommend that to me so I picked some up and have been on it for two days. So we will see how that goes. If I can get my veggies in capsule form then that is awesome for me!! I will still try a lot of the others suggestions I've gotten on preparing them and different ways to get them in and that though.

Take care,
    Tammy

Happy 4th of July to the Americans on this list!!!
  • yentasdoitbetter
    Options
    any grocery store should have them....found them at walmart for $1.43 a package
  • datenshi
    Options
    any grocery store should have them....found them at walmart for $1.43 a package

I will definitely check WalMart here and see if they carry them then. I love your ticker by the way, very beautiful.

Take care and best wishes!
    Tammy