I'm getting sick - but I want to work out!

Options
Hey MFP,
I feel a cold coming on, but I really want to stay committed to my work outs! What should I do so i can still burn cals but not over exert myself?

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you're getting sick, rest is the best thing you can do for your body. It needs all of the energy it has to keep you healthy!
  • fitobsessed
    Options
    NOTHING. This is your body telling you to stop and give it some rest. Your exercises aren't going anywhere. They will be there when you feel 100%. I was sick for two weeks with a virus - I missed the gym so much. But I knew better. Get well. And don't listen to the quacks that tell you to sweat it out lol. You'll be sweating yourself into a relapse lol.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I actually think it's fine to work out with a cold. I do.
  • LSHANDREW
    Options
    you could try a different kind of work out. maybe some strength training.
  • soccerblocker66
    soccerblocker66 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I am coming down with a cold, the best thing I can do is work out! I usually feel much better after the work out, and it seems to help knock out whatever I'm coming down with!
  • zenJes
    zenJes Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    the worst thing you can do is work out when your sick.. im currently in the resting boat.. sucks..
    if you only have a cold however id suggest cutting out cardio and weights but maybe doing something light and slow like yoga and pilates.
  • dmouse0225
    Options
    Last time I had a cold, I had the same question. I still worked out but didn't push myself as hard. I did lower intensity workouts (a light walk, pilates, etc). That way I didn't get out of the habit, but didn't wear myself out. I honestly think it helped me get healthy faster.
  • iSpeakLife
    iSpeakLife Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
  • Katie187
    Options
    I too have a cold at the moment and i say 'sweat it out'….it made me feel helps better but listen to your body
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I woke up yesterday with a headcold. I did a 30 minute, leisurely paced walk to the supermarket and wish I didn't do it. Today I did 30 minutes of Just Dance 3 on the Wii, just didn't push myself so much. I felt better.

I just listened to my body today and didn't try to do too much. We'll see how it goes.

Hope you feel better soon! Get plenty of rest, and drink plenty of fluids!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    if its just a head cold you should be fine, its mostly about you over coming feeling bad to actually work out. if it moves to the chest i'd stop working out and rest. as chest colds can become brochitis or upper respiratory infection. so fever no work out, no fever its perfectly fine to work out.

i work out with head colds. just remember to wipe down your equipement

lol the worst thing you can do is work out..ha
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    If you have a "head" cold and nothing in your chest, you're fine, just don't overdo it.

But please...don't go to a gym and infect everyone else :)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Hey MFP,
    I feel a cold coming on, but I really want to stay committed to my work outs! What should I do so i can still burn cals but not over exert myself?

You're trying to become healthier, no?

Working out while sick will not only NOT get you healthier, you may also expose others (in your gym?) to your illness.

Do everyone a favor and get better.

Eat healthy foods and drink lots of water and get better.
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    if its just a head cold you should be fine, its mostly about you over coming feeling bad to actually work out. if it moves to the chest i'd stop working out and rest. as chest colds can become brochitis or upper respiratory infection. so fever no work out, no fever its perfectly fine to work out.

i work out with head colds. just remember to wipe down your equipement

lol the worst thing you can do is work out..ha
    If you are sick above the neck, light work out. If you are sick below the neck, rest and fluids!
  • iSpeakLife
    iSpeakLife Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    cool! yeah, it's just a head cold, I think i'll go walk around the track before class just to get my blood flowing but no elliptical :(

Don't worry, i'm not out to get everyone at the gym! LOL