Best high protein low cholesterol foods?

Options
I am doing a low carb plan but am looking for help finding proteins that are low in cholesterol as that is a health issue of mine.i have done a lot of research online and this plan was approved from my doc. I see lots of stuff about low carb lowering cholesterol levels in your blood and triglyceride which I need to do also,but so many protein sources red meat,bacon,eggs, are so high in cholesterol. Anyone have any advise.

Replies

• garygudz
    Options
    Bump
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    When first starting a low carb diet, some people have a small increase in chloreserol, But usually it falls and overall cholesterol and triglycerides are reduced. You might want to limit saturated fat and carbs (pretty obvious on low carb) which apparently raise cholesterol worse than eating cholesterol. Might consider skinless chicken breasts and sirloin steaks - two of my staples.
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Eat fishies! Salmon has 45 mg cholesterol/serving, tuna has 25 mg, sole has 86.4 mg, octopus, while it's not a fish, has 82 mg, eel has around 60 mg, swordfish has 43 mg, mahi mahi has 94, and crab has 65 :) Plus, fishies have omega-3 and omega-6 UFAs, which are essential fatty acids.
  • garygudz
    Options
    Thanks for the input Brian and kitten.i like tuna and mahi I I'll try that I love to catch salmon but do not care to eat it unless its smoked salmon!
  • Anisima
    Options
    My cousin with similar problems told me that he found on http://cholesterol-lower.info/ the help for his problems.I heard the tips from here are very goo to combat cholesterol problems.
    I hope this helps.
  • garygudz
    Options
    Thank I will check that out
  • secogeni
    secogeni Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that animal-based proteins tend to be pretty high in cholesterol. If you eat high protein foods that are plant derived, like soy, nuts, vegetables, and fruits, you'll find that your protein intake goes through the roof yet you'll still be able to maintain low cholesterol. You can take a look at my food diary for today if you'd like an example.
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't worry too much about dietary cholesterol.

The body generates (for a 150 pounder) about 1000 gm/day. Dietary recommendations are 200/300 mg per day. To the extent you consume dietary cholesterol, the liver will compensate by reducing its production.
  • mikefarinha
    mikefarinha Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am doing a low carb plan but am looking for help finding proteins that are low in cholesterol as that is a health issue of mine.i have done a lot of research online and this plan was approved from my doc. I see lots of stuff about low carb lowering cholesterol levels in your blood and triglyceride which I need to do also,but so many protein sources red meat,bacon,eggs, are so high in cholesterol. Anyone have any advise.

I'd highly recommend checking out the site http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/ the owner of the site is Chris Masterjohn who is a newly minted Doctor of Nutritional Science. If you read through his site and blog you'll learn why eating cholesterol is actually extremely important for health. Cholesterol is one of the primary building blocks of hormones in our bodies.

Also eating saturated fat is, in fact, protective of CVD.

If you'd rather listen via pod cast check out this 3 part series.

Cholesterol & Heart Disease Part 1
    http://chriskresser.com/the-healthy-skeptic-podcast-episode-11

Part 2
    http://chriskresser.com/episode-16-chris-masterjohn-on-cholesterol-heart-disease-part-2

Part 3
    http://chriskresser.com/chris-masterjohn-on-cholesterol-and-heart-disease-part-3
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    Extreme Labs Nitro 92 Xtreme whey protein has ZERO cholesterol. Shrimp is my next favorite. ZERO cholesterol. BAM that is the sound of the ball flying out of the ball park. Crowd applause!!!
  • DL121004
    Options
    Shrimp is my next favorite. ZERO cholesterol.

?

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/4174/2

100 gm of shrimp has 195 mg of cholesterol.
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    I don't care. You can take my shrimp when you pry it from my cold dead hands. It is still zero cholesterol as far as I am concerned.
  • DL121004
    Options
    I don't care. You can take my shrimp when you pry it from my cold dead hands. It is still zero cholesterol as far as I am concerned.

:happy:

Hey, I have no problem with it...I love me my shrimp! And I've also posted elsewhere about not being too concerned about dietary cholesterol.
  • starflower7
    Options
    Just had to tell you about the regular type of flushing vitamin called Niacin...if you take it you will avoid plaque in your arteries and get rid of some of the plaque in your arteries already and it will prevent it from forming.....it has a nasty flushing effect though but it goes away after 1-2 months...still if you are really concerned Niacin is your answer...it is a vitamin...it is great take 1500 mg but at first only start with 250 mg and slowly build up to more.....if you take more than half a tablet you will flush so bad you will give up....I take it and iit is awesome and it is great for the skin, depression, stress, cholesteral and other issues. For more info. on it google Dr. Abram Hoffer and Niacin and see what comes up...he was the one who discovered its potent anti choesteral properties. The vitamin in higher doese is used for schizophrenia and other health problems as well...it is all very interesting.

Star
  • DL121004
    Options
    Just had to tell you about the regular type of flushing vitamin called Niacin...if you take it you will avoid plaque in your arteries and get rid of some of the plaque in your arteries already and it will prevent it from forming.....it has a nasty flushing effect though but it goes away after 1-2 months...still if you are really concerned Niacin is your answer...it is a vitamin...it is great take 1500 mg but at first only start with 250 mg and slowly build up to more.....if you take more than half a tablet you will flush so bad you will give up....I take it and iit is awesome and it is great for the skin, depression, stress, cholesteral and other issues. For more info. on it google Dr. Abram Hoffer and Niacin and see what comes up...he was the one who discovered its potent anti choesteral properties. The vitamin in higher doese is used for schizophrenia and other health problems as well...it is all very interesting.

Star

Just as information, it appears niacin (nicontinc acid) inhibits fat metabolism in your fat stores.

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/41651

"Several mechanisms have been proposed to account for the antiatherosclerotic effects of nicotinic acid (16–18). The prevailing view holds the antidyslipidemic effects of nicotinic acid primarily accountable for its beneficial clinical effects. At pharmacological doses, nicotinic acid reduces LDL cholesterol, triglyceride, and lipoprotein(a) plasma levels while increasing levels of HDL cholesterol (1). One mechanism responsible for the lipid-modifying effects of nicotinic acid is the activation of the G-protein–coupled receptor GPR109A expressed on adipocytes (19–21). Activation of GPR109A on fat cells has an antilipolytic effect leading to a decreased release of free fatty acids from adipocytes."
  • garygudz
    Options
    great post everyone thank you for your input.
    i have a family history of high cholesterol and high bp and as i reached my high water mark weight wise mine spiraled out of control. (triglycerides 575) I am now taking bp meds and meds to lower triglycerides and cholesterol but the doctor said i maybe able to get off them if i bring my weight under control. So this along with my wife and kids is my reason for joining mfp...i wanna be around to enjoy them and at the rate i was going it was becoming a possibility i wouldn't be.
    gary
  • thecat
    thecat Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am just now watching Dr. Oz and he said avocados are great sources of healthy protein!!!! I had no idea!!!! Although I do eat either walnuts or avocado everyday at each meal and was eating these for heart health so now I now abut the good sources of protein they are!!! Yummy!!!!
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Boneless, Skinless chicken boob.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I am just now watching Dr. Oz and he said avocados are great sources of healthy protein!!!! I had no idea!!!! Although I do eat either walnuts or avocado everyday at each meal and was eating these for heart health so now I now abut the good sources of protein they are!!! Yummy!!!!
    Calorie for calorie these are fat sources, not protein. But, that's par for the course with the Ozzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, lots of misinformation or just plain dumb, take your pick.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    egg white - hard to beat this.