Calories burned from exercise

Options
Thu 02/16/12 09:14 PM
Am I supposed to be replacing the calories I burn during exercise...I prefer to exercise after dinner around 8pm but this causes me to continually be way under my daily caloric goal. Am I supposed to be replacing those calories burned . I' m just worried about my body going into starvation mode since it usually drops me 400-600 calories below my target of 1520 a day. I do not feel hungry after my workout but I wanna make sure I do this in the most productive way.
Thanks for helping
Edited by garygudz on Thu 02/16/12 09:15 PM

Replies

• tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You'll get lots of different advice on this. But I tend to eat back most of my exercise calories. I also workout at night, but I increase my calorie intake earlier in the day to compensate for my workout. Plus I have a small pre-workout snack. Bottom line, you should experiment and try different methods to see what woks with you. Good luck!
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    That could be a dilemma.

You definatly want to eat back your cals, as fitness should be a tool used to assist with proper diet to reach a defecit appropriate for your goals. However, under no circumstance should it be used (fitness) soley to achieve those goals. You will find this will not work in application.

I would probably suggest post workout shakes. I personally use these, which include protein(whey), various fruits, spinach, then I add either an avocado, OR/AND some flaxseed meal.

The purpose is that avocado is high cals (250-350 per fruit) high healthy fats. The flaxseed is also fair calories at 100 cals a couple teaspoons. Plus it's high in omega 3, even more than a fillet of salmon!

When I make these shakes I can get anywhere from 300-600 cals a shake and meet all my nutrition needs with the fruits and veggies. My favorite fruit/veggie mix are blueberry, blackberry, spinach. In one easy to chug cup. But you can pick whatever you want to put in it.

Also, you can blend anything and not taste it. Avocadoes, I've used whole tomatoes before, and with all the ingredients you cannot even taste them.
  • garygudz
    Options
    Thanks for your advise