How do I get past this slump?

Options
I know what I need to do so I can be healthy and feel better but I am in pain so much of the time that my motivation is not there. Any suggestions on what will help? I have close to 100 lbs to lose and I am not anywhere close to that goal.

Replies

• purplebeans123
    Options
    Hi there, that depends on what is causing you to be in pain.
    If you can give more information that may help with an answer for you.
  • WheyStrong
    WheyStrong Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    How bad do you want it? Do what ever it takes to achieve your goal. Watch the biggest loser, read fitness articles, hire a personal trainer, etc.....

"It is the mind that separates those who fail and those who achieve their goals"

-Arnold Schwarzenegger
  • Determined523
    Options
    Maybe taking a b12 vitamin will help with enery. Also, even if you cant do lots of exercise right now, watching what you eat will help a lot and make you feel good about yourself.

Even short walks and stretching is a great start!

Wish you the best of luck!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    About the only thing you can do is keep going..... keep logging, keep eating the best you can (not too little, not too much), fit in some exercise when that's possible. I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter WHAT you do (within reason of course!), you just have to keep on doing it. As many days as you can. But, if you have a crummy day, don't beat yourself up over it, put that energy into planning a better day tomorrow.
    Good luck!
  • raszu
    raszu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What I will recommend is to break down the BIG goal into small achievable measurable goals on short term. that is easy to do, fun to do as its within your range and sense of reaching goals keep you motivated.
  • Survivor1997
    Survivor1997 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention what kind of pain you are experiencing, but I have arthritis and bursitis, along with occasional back problems. It does interfere with my motivation also.

I started exercising slowly, and my daily goal is to burn just 5 calories more each day. I admit that is not real lofty, but I find it attainable. I've worked my way up to 100 calories a day.

I would suggest getting a decent pedometer. Wear it around for a few days. See how many steps you average. Then; every other day, add 100 steps. I think you will find that it gets easier to go just a little farther.

After a few weeks, maybe you can add another low impact exercise and build on that one too. Be patient with yourself. Set little goals that you are determined to meet. Sometimes success is the best motivator.

ABC has a new program, "The Revolution". I have picked up a lot of very useful info from it. Give it a shot.
  • dkamp40
    Options
    The pain that I am talking about comes from heel spurs for one, arthritis in hips, knees, shoulders and hands. With no insurance it is hard to get medication or even see a doctor. I was told by a doctor once before that pain causes depression and that is what I am facing right now. I am not making up reasons not do do this I just do not function well and do not sleep hardly cause of the pain. I am trying to find my motivation and want to meet my goal. I know that the weight loss will improve the way I feel.