Does sharing your diary help?

Options
Hi I've been doing MFP since Jan, I joined in Oct or something like that but didn't start till Jan :)
I'm kinda embarrassed about my diary and I think thats why I haven't invited friends. I'm totally addicted to chocolate - I work out just so I can eat it! I know that if I worked out and cut it out I'd be losing the weight quicker. I'm about 141lbs and want to get to 125lb. I really want to try harder so I think now I need a little support!

Replies

• LauRoxx
    LauRoxx Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You know what I just started incorporating into my diet? A free day. You may not need a whole day, but how about if you stick to your diet for an entire week then you can have a predesignated amount of chocolate ONE day a week. It's a start, and after a while you'll feel guilty about even indulging in the chocolate, you'll gain the willpower to say no to it, and it may even start becoming too sweet for you (in which case you can switch to dark chocolate).

Just a thought, good luck!
  • Mkserpa
    Mkserpa Posts: 136
    Options
    Hi I've been doing MFP since Jan, I joined in Oct or something like that but didn't start till Jan :)
    I'm kinda embarrassed about my diary and I think thats why I haven't invited friends. I'm totally addicted to chocolate - I work out just so I can eat it! I know that if I worked out and cut it out I'd be losing the weight quicker. I'm about 141lbs and want to get to 125lb. I really want to try harder so I think now I need a little support!

I hate when people can see my diary because I know I won't like what they have to say lol. However, it's YOUR food diary, YOUR meals, YOUR weight, etc. I just take comments about what I eat with a grain of salt. Some I take as helpful and use the advice, others I just store them in the back of my mind in case I feel the need at a later point to boost my nutrition in a different direction.
  • pixieakabigd
    Options
    I think it's good to share it. Of course everyone has their opinions and advice about what you should be eating, but you know yourself what works for you. Also, there's always the 'quick add calories' for things you don't want to share! ;)
  • wendyd18
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed about anything, you know you have to change and you have taken the first step by admitting you eat too much chocolate and asking for help and support.
    I was totally addicted to walkers crisps before i started on here i would eat at least 5 packets a day plus i would eat chocolate and other sweet food.
    i have cut it all out it is not easy but try doing it a little bit at a time rather than all in one go if you dont think you could manage that.
    YOU can do it so
  • LuAnnBreadPann
    Options
    Hi, I was also abit worried about sharing my diary, particularly because of the "off" days I know I can have.

However I opened it this week and people have been really helpful- given helpful tips where they think would help.

If people start giving you hurtful negative feedback- don't be their friend they should only be encouraging and motivating.

If you love chocolate don't expect to be able to cut it out right away, work at it really slowly over the weeks. I loved crisps and slowly tried to cut them back and its worked.

Don't be ashamed of your diary- thats why we are all here to work on our eating and exercise habits to feel fitter and healthier :)

Feel free to add me :)

Good luck

Lucy x
  • Julesbriff
    Julesbriff Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi - I leave my diary open for friends so that if I struggle I can ask for help to change certain areas. I always add my food in advance so that I can see if I have any calories left over for a little treat!! I suprised my self yesterday as I did my exercise and added my food in for the day and had enough left over to have a hot chocolate when out with my kids.

You do not need to be embarassed in liking chocolate - there are lots of us with you on that one!! But I have found I am able to add in small treats each day to stop me from bingeing them if I try to leave them out all together. Every thing in moderation is ok :wink:

Feel free to add me if you want - We are all here to encourage each other after all xx
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Freely eating chocolate is a bit contributor to my weight gain. I don't cut it out completely. I budget it in my allottment. If you want to add me, you will see my diary and see my chocolate. I ration it. I am pickier about the chocolates I am eating. I also eat Nutella toast. It has enough carbs to fill me up more and yet it gives me my chocolate craving. Yesterday I was on an intense craving for just about anything so I knew I had to stay away or I would eat an entire bag. Most days, however, I can have it with some planning.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I think that you should use your diary in the best way to benefit yourself... if that means having it open for support/feedback, or if you'd prefer to keep it closed just for yourself.

I think it depends on how you get your motivation, and what makes you tick, you know? Do you function well with input from others? Or are you highly self-motivated?

If you're wanting more friends and support on here, they can help with that with or without an open diary... although some prefer you have it open. But... ultimately do what is going to benefit you the most :)