Citalopram antidepressant

Options
Hi

I have been weaned off of my citalapram by my doctor and the last one I had was 10mg about 10 dys ago. Since day five I have felt terrible. Every afternoon about 2pm my temperature goes up, I feel dizzy and I can feel my blood pressure go up and down. I have put on 5 pounds in the last 10days as I am eating loads as my body is craving it (mostly rubbish junk food). Has anyone elso come off of this drug? I was on it for 10months. Thanks :smile:

Replies

• 0scillatewildly
    Options
    no, but I will be soon. I'm on 10mg at the moment and will be speaking to my doctor about coming off it. I've also been on it for about 10 months. maybe you need to come off it more slowly. maybe 5mg every few days? but speak to your doctor about it before you do anything. good luck!
  • beckifitzg
    beckifitzg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I came off of mine quite slowly, mainly because i was scared!

For 3 months i took a 10mg every other day as it was the lowest they did so i guess i was getting about 5mg a day.

To be honest, the doctor said they were hardly even doing anything at that dose, it was more spending the time preparing myself mentally to not take them anymore.

I can't say i ever noticed any symptoms of coming off of them though. I was just a bit weary of mood swings for a while.
  • GemaG
    GemaG Posts: 142
    Options
    Thanks guys. I have been taking 10mg for a while so I hope that it is ok and doctor said to stop taking them. Maybe its in my head but I dont think so, I thought I was over being paranoid and slightly crazy!!!!
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Antidepressant Discontinuation Syndrome
    Antidepressant discontinuation syndrome is a serious medical side effect that develops when antidepressants are stopped suddenly. Symptoms of antidepressant discontinuation syndrome include flu-like symptoms such as fever, nausea and body aches. This syndrome can also include runny nose and sore throat

This is from livestrong.com. Going off any anti-depressants can really be hard on your body if you have been a long-term user. Not sure at what rate you are being weaned off, but it should be over a period of weeks and not days.

I was on that medicine for about 30 days, it gave me horrendous headaches that kept me in bed virtually that whole month. When I went back to the dr for a follow-up he tells me then that the headaches were not an unusal side effect but changed me to a different one since I was non-functional.

Hope the side effects of discontinuing ease up soon for you!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I weaned off it in June after being on it about 2.5 years (Well, Lexapro first, then Citalopram), and the only side effect I had was brain zaps... random dizzy spells that lasted about a nano-second each time... but it went away in about two weeks.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My husband came off that this summer and had full withdraw symptoms. So horrible he ended up in the hospital, even the doctor thought he was having a heart attack. It took him weeks to feel normal. ER doctor said he had seen effects from coming off of it quite often.