Do I eat my BMR or below it?

Options
2»

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    OK so when I'm tracking my daily intake on here how do i change my 'limit' from 1200 to what it should be. I dont want it to read as a deficit every day/

P.S Hello, I'm Laura from London and I've recently signed up.

Settings
    Goals
    Change Goals (at the bottom)
  • ottersln
    Options
    I goggled TBEE and BMR and came up with 1475 calories per day to lose 2 pounds a week. Around 1949 to lose 1 pound a week. Using the BMR on MFP I came up with 1362 per day. A big enough difference but not as big as I thought it might be after reading comments here. My issue is I have a hard time eating that much HEALTHY food! Veggies do not have a lot of calories and I'm trying to watch my carbohydrates. I want the excess weight off ASAP so I am shooting for the 2 pounds a week. How will I ever eat 2549 healthy calories to maintain???? That is a lot of food if we are eating fresh, natural, no processed foods...
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I'm looking up the information now.
  • Lauracork2005
    Lauracork2005 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    OK so when I'm tracking my daily intake on here how do i change my 'limit' from 1200 to what it should be. I dont want it to read as a deficit every day/

P.S Hello, I'm Laura from London and I've recently signed up.

Settings
    Goals
    Change Goals (at the bottom)

Thank you!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I goggled TBEE and BMR and came up with 1475 calories per day to lose 2 pounds a week. Around 1949 to lose 1 pound a week. Using the BMR on MFP I came up with 1362 per day. A big enough difference but not as big as I thought it might be after reading comments here. My issue is I have a hard time eating that much HEALTHY food! Veggies do not have a lot of calories and I'm trying to watch my carbohydrates. I want the excess weight off ASAP so I am shooting for the 2 pounds a week. How will I ever eat 2549 healthy calories to maintain???? That is a lot of food if we are eating fresh, natural, no processed foods...

Look up the raw number, what is your BMR and what is your TDEE, not figuring out what the numbers should be to lose 1 or 2 pounds a week.

Your BMR is the amount of calories they would feed you in a coma just to keep you breathing, heart pumping, organs working.

If 2549 is your TDEE, that is your maintenance right now. As you lose weight, that number will be less at your goal weight.
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    The problem is that any calculator can only estimate these numbers based on things like hight and weight. If you want an accurate number you need a proper body stat analysis with calipers etc. Ask your doctor or google for a local place that will do this. I had mine done and it turned out my real BMR was lower than MFP thought by 200+ calories.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Yes, as is the estimate of calories burned through exercise. It is just that, an estimate. There is some trial and error in this, unless you go the extra mile to do what you can to get more accurate numbers.

It just bothers me to see so many people off track because of lack of understanding of these principles and misuse of terms adding to the confusion.
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    A decent HRM strap can help on the exercise front too. Again, I found out mine estimates were way out after buying a polar HRM with chest strap (only cost £35 and well worth it for the useful info)