Can you help a picky eater?

Options

Replies

• dwtouch4
    Options
    Instead of telling you to quit being picky let me give you some real advice.

I am picky as well. However I know that most of this is all in my head. I realize that I'm never going to be the type to sit down and eat a bowl of lettuce. However there are some things I do to ensure I get more veggies in my diet.

First I really love juicing. Juice some healthy veggies and mix them with fruit. You get a nice tasting fruit juice with the extra nutrients of the vegetables.

As for cooking I find that chopping veggies really small and mixing them into different food helps. Stir fries are good for this where I'll put peppers, tomatoes or spinach into a chopper and throw them in with meat or noodles.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If you don't like to eat veggies...supplement them...Greens+ or V8 are good ones to try :)
  • jmvmisc24
    jmvmisc24 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is like that he only eats peas. Do you like fruit instead? Thats what he does and salad mix. I didn't like a lot of things but after eating them awhile i got used to them.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm a picky eater too and I try to fit one serving of veggies in a day. It's a start. More important I feel is reducing the amount of processed foods we eat. There is also a book called Deceptively Delicious and all the recipes are really good.
  • lkwalker71
    lkwalker71 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am a pretty picky eater especially with veggies and fruit but am getting better. I also have tried them different ways. Example - tomatoes, I dont' like a large slice on a sandwich but do like cherry and roma tomatoes, diced in salad or on tacos. I don't like broccoli or cauliflower cooked but do like it raw. I used to be the type that if I did not like the way it looked I would not eat it. Also your taste buds change. Things I did not like when I was younger, I like now and vice versa.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I pretty much force myself to try new foods. I try cooking them in different ways to see how they vary, and I've added quite a few new foods to my diet I didn't previously like. Usually I can find some way to enjoy the food, and slowly introducing them into my diet makes me more open to eating them in new ways.

For instance, I used to hate avocado. Didn't like guac, or anything related to avocados. Then one day I had one on a burger and found I really liked the contrast it provided to the burger patty and bacon. From there I experienced adding it in soups, mexican dishes, and sandwiches. I even recently conquered my dislike of guacamole. I'm doing the same thing with berries, since I can't get past the crunchy texture of the seeds. I started with frozen blueberries in smoothie, and now I enjoy blueberries on my yogurt as well. Still working on the other berries, but it's a slow process.

Sometimes your taste buds and mouth just need some time to get used to different foods.
  • kelfromhell
    kelfromhell Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You may get used to the taste of some veggies by "hiding"them too. This is a trick many use on children......for example, I have a recipe where you grate and blend vegetables with garlic and then use them as a pasta sauce...... or look at the message boards for cauliflower crust pizza........dips and soups are great for hiding vegetables too......and cake. Zucchini cakes, I have a great chocolate cake recipe that hides this. Iv'e seen prunes in pie and all sorts of great "hidings". Message me if you want any of these recipes! Good luck.....
  • Rodentranger
    Options
    Those of you who are saying OP needs to just get over it are being pretty rude.
    I also don't eat most veggies, or most fruits. It's not because I don't want to try them. It's a sensory issue, and I only recently realized that's my problem after dealing with my kids' sensory issues. If a food smells the least bit unpleasant, I literally gag while trying to make myself try it. If the texture is "wrong", same thing. Cooked produce a sure fail. I cannot help it.

OP, I know it can be hard, but you might try to be adventurous and try new stuff in different ways. I promised myself that in 2012, I would make a lot of changes in my life to be happier. One of them is that I try at least one new food each month. Last month, I met friends for Japanese and Indian food. I ordered fairly mundane things off the menu, but they were new to me. This month, I tried cauliflower in place of rice, as suggested here. I might try it again replacing only half of the rice in enchiladas, because I wasn't a fan of the overwhelming cauliflower taste.

Anyway, sometimes it can be a little easier if you break it down to a more manageable goal than "Eat more produce." For me, it's just "Eat one new thing each month." There's less pressure, and I have roughly 30 days to find the new food. :) Good luck!
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think you definitely need to go on a recipe search. I agree with some previous posters about "hiding" your veggies in with your meats or sauces. It can be a great way to begin to acclimatize your taste buds to new flavors. I really never liked cauliflower for the longest time. But I just recently found a roasting recipe that is great. Seasoning can make all the difference in the world! In a perfect world you would just "get over it" like some of the brilliant previous posts suggest. And as helpful as those posts were, maybe some of the other suggestions on here can help you begin to "get over it." I have hated cottage cheese my entire life, but I recently found that drowning it in fruit and a little bit of stevia is delicious! Don't give up. Just keep trying different things. This is a PROCESS.
  • Roshams
    Options
    I'm a pretty picky eater myself.....my sister gave me a good trick though....with a food processor, you can add all those veggies you hate to sauces and baked goods, wothout ever tasting them.

Also, just try making yourself eat it because you know it's good for you.

For example, chick peas....hate em, but so good for you. Ate them fried up with some tomatoes and light ground pork, and I couldn't even taste em :)

Just try to mask the flavour or texture of hat stuff you hate :D
  • KimR87
    KimR87 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Those of you who are saying OP needs to just get over it are being pretty rude.
    I also don't eat most veggies, or most fruits. It's not because I don't want to try them. It's a sensory issue, and I only recently realized that's my problem after dealing with my kids' sensory issues. If a food smells the least bit unpleasant, I literally gag while trying to make myself try it. If the texture is "wrong", same thing. Cooked produce a sure fail. I cannot help it.

I have the exact same problem so I am really bad about getting my veggies in. I manage by sometimes getting the V8 Fruit and Vegetable juices or in place of pasta ill use the ronzoni garden delight pasta which gives you a serving of veggies. I've also been trying something new each month. This month I tried spaghetti squash for the first time. As far as my normal eating habits since im so picky I spend alot of time looking up recipes and ive found some great healthy alternatives to my favorite foods and ive really liked them. I have a few recipe websites that I check every single day that have provided some great healthier alternatives if you would like to know them feel free to send me a message.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Look for recipes that will incorporate what you do like with what you don't like. I used to steam cauliflower, mash it like potatoes and make a brown gravy to put over it. It was just like mashed potatoes and tasted great.

Luckily Cauliflower is probably the only veggie I don;t care for but will eat it now.

Get creative, look for recipes. I bet if you google it there are sites dedicated to learning to eat veggies and ways to mask the flavor so you still benefit.

If I can learn to run (especially at my age), you can learn to eat veggies.
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Fellow picky eater right here. :happy: I am not as picky as I used to be, however. My foods I didn't like fell into 3 categories: those (like tomato anything) that would make me gag- literally. 2. stuff that sounded wierd/gross that I just never tried or gave a chance. 3. stuff that I never liked eating because the way it was prepared didn't do it much good.

After over 13 years of working on me to get me to like anything with tomato in it, my hubby finally got me to the point where I can eat some really good/flavorful chilis, some bbq sauces, and I even found 2 maranara sauces I could eat at nice Italian restaurants. So, it may take some time, but work on it and see what happens. I have a feeling though, that I will never be able to enjoy a tomato straight, a BLT, or regular pizza.

What veggies do you like, and which can you eat if it's in with a lot of other stuff? Post what you do like here and I'm sure we can come up with meal ideas based on those. I like fruits more than veggies, and so I find myself drawn more to the sweeter veggies - winter squash, carrots, sweet peppers, sugar snap peas, etc. Start with veggies that have similar charasteristics to those you like and those that pair nicely with those you like (I enjoy stir-fries with onion, bell pepper, and zuchini).

If you like salads, go for more than just the iceburg lettuce. Get mixes of red and green lettuces. I was surprised to find that I liked baby spinach in salads too. Veggies that grill or sautee well (I use cooking spray) such as asparagus or zucchini are WONDERFUL with granulated garlic and a touch of salt. Get some whole wheat or veggie-based pasta (elbow, rotini, etc), use light italian dressing, and add finely chopped cukes, onion, and bell pepper. Shredded carrot also goes nicely in there.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Give raw veggies a shot.

I'm not a big fan of cooking vegetables. I always thought I hated spinach, but I hate COOKED spinach. I love raw spinach leaves in a salad and have it almost everyday.

I love raw veggies (typically carrots, mushrooms, cucumbers, broccoli, and red peppers) with a tablespoon of high quality dip. I look at the bowl of mixed veggies and think "This is the best chance I have for avoiding cancer" and it's true. But now, I really love the taste of almost all vegetables.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    There are so many great suggestions in this thread! My wife was a notoriously picky eater when we first met, and though she is still much pickier than I would like, she has learned to enjoy a much wider range of foods than she used to.

The best advice I have is for you to take the time to identify the specific flavors you do not enjoy, and then learn to cook in ways that mask or eliminate those flavors.

My wife thought she hated onions. The sharp taste was borderline painful to her. She found that she enjoyed onions when I caramelized them. She now LOVES onions, so long as they get cooked long enough to break down the chemical that gives them a sharp flavor.

My wife is also one of those people for whom broccoli tastes bitter. Most people who hat broccoli can taste a bitter flavor in it that the rest of us cannot taste, or at least do not taste to the same extent. Once I realized this, I began roasting or stir-frying broccoli for her. Dry heat (like roasting or frying) breaks down the bitter chemical, whereas wet heat (like steaming) does not.

I could not serve salads with dinner, because my wife found them boring, and many of the veggies carried flavors she disliked. I now keep a few hard boiled eggs, as well as some crumbled bacon in the fridge at all times. Chopped egg and bacon on a salad really turns it into a completely different meal, and there is no harm done so long as you account for it in your meal planning.

Good luck in your quest to become a less picky eater! With time, I am betting that you will rediscover all sorts of foods that you at one time disliked.
  • AngelsDream4Peace
    AngelsDream4Peace Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You can learn to like things so you may want to try some vegetables that you haven't had in awhile - you may be pleasantly surprised. I taught myself to like cottage cheese by trying it a couple of times a year and adding various things (fruit, savory). If that won't work, you can hide vegetables in things (sauce, meatloaf, etc). There are a couple of cookbooks that are made for parents trying to get their kids to eat veggies - they could work for you too - the sneaky chef is one. Good luck!
    Being a life long picky eater, I agree with this as well as trying them prepared in different variations! My world of food has opened up so much, you just have to find a way that you will eat the things you "think" you do not like! Good luck
  • sbfreak17
    Options
    Thank you to those who have offered actual advice as opposed to the "suck it up" approach. It's not that I don't eat any vegetables, I just don't like most. When I say I don't like them, I don't just look at them and say "ewww" like a child does. I have tried them repeatedly...hence me asking for SUGGESTIONS on what to do.
  • sbfreak17
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm relatively new to the site & I'm really trying to get some ideas for healthy lunches/dinners/snacks but the problem is...I'm a picky eater. I dont eat most veggies which makes it really hard. Does anyone else have this problem? I've tried & tried to add different things into my meals but I'm having a hard time finding foods I'll eat. I'm willing to try pretty much anything so any suggestions will be of help. Thanks a bunch!

Quit being picky.

Problem(s) solved.

Wow. That's brilliant. Wish I would of thought of that first.
  • sbfreak17
    Options
    You can learn to like things so you may want to try some vegetables that you haven't had in awhile - you may be pleasantly surprised. I taught myself to like cottage cheese by trying it a couple of times a year and adding various things (fruit, savory). If that won't work, you can hide vegetables in things (sauce, meatloaf, etc). There are a couple of cookbooks that are made for parents trying to get their kids to eat veggies - they could work for you too - the sneaky chef is one. Good luck!

Thank you.
  • sbfreak17
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm relatively new to the site & I'm really trying to get some ideas for healthy lunches/dinners/snacks but the problem is...I'm a picky eater. I dont eat most veggies which makes it really hard. Does anyone else have this problem? I've tried & tried to add different things into my meals but I'm having a hard time finding foods I'll eat. I'm willing to try pretty much anything so any suggestions will be of help. Thanks a bunch!

Quit being picky.

Problem(s) solved.
    I've gotta agree with Eric. If you decide you want to get in shape you need to make some concessions to your eating habits. I hated yogurt before this, refused to eat certain leafy greens, stuff like that. I eat yogurt most mornings for breakfast, I eat spinach salads, and enough broccoli a week to choke a buffalo.

What's more important to you... eating things you like, or being healthy? Unfortunately they don't always go hand in hand with each other.

If you want to do things like you would with a child who was a picky eater, you find ways to "hide" the food. Such as making lasagna /w spinach in it, or smoothies with greens blended in... sorry I don't have better suggestions. I realized I just needed to adult up and eat the things that were good for me.

Actually eating things I like and being healthy are BOTH important to me and that's not really THAT far-fetched of an idea. I understand the concept of "adulting-up" per say but I'm not going to GAG food down every day. That's purely insane and no, not every "healthy" person does that...just saying.