upset

Options
I didnt lose a thing from last friday to this friday and am so upset about it. the only thing that i can think of is because before i started here on this program i was eating way under my calories so now i am trying to get to the 1200 calories or more which mine are to be 1520 and i have been working out to. last week i lost 7 lbs before starting this on wednesday but the thing is that i was only eating like 600 to 800 calories so hopefully next week will be a better week. any ideas if i am right on this? i mean i didnt gain anything but it is hard stepping on the scale and seeing that all my work didnt pay off.

Replies

• necypooh
    Options
    don't beat yourself up. you have to eat to lose or your starvation hormones will kick in. concentrate on the little successes. I wish you the best!:flowerforyou:
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I didnt lose a thing from last friday to this friday and am so upset about it. the only thing that i can think of is because before i started here on this program i was eating way under my calories so now i am trying to get to the 1200 calories or more which mine are to be 1520 and i have been working out to. last week i lost 7 lbs before starting this on wednesday but the thing is that i was only eating like 600 to 800 calories so hopefully next week will be a better week. any ideas if i am right on this? i mean i didnt gain anything but it is hard stepping on the scale and seeing that all my work didnt pay off.

You definitely need to stop relying on the scale as your sole source of weight loss results. Too many people rely on the scale and fail.... absolutely FAIL to acknowledge that your weight will fluctuate. You could very well have a loss but.... it wont show up on the scale.

Get some measuring tape out... plan a bi-weekly measure on the same day, same time.... preferably first thing in the morning after you have used the bathroom. Record your measurements.

Measurements will be a much more accurate method of determining weight loss.
    Scales are highly over-rated. I just started to use mine once per MONTH - and use clothing and measuring as a more precise way to show weight loss.

Right now as I type this, I am wearing an outfit that was uber-snug-tight on me about 7 months ago... now I can see room in my sleeves, the shirt sits on me so much better, the pants have plenty of room....

You have to change your way of thinking, your mind and what your perceptions are... otherwise you will ultimately be the reason why you are not losing weight - you will cause your body to produce too much cortisol and that can cause weight gain.,......
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options

You definitely need to stop relying on the scale as your sole source of weight loss results. Too many people rely on the scale and fail.... absolutely FAIL to acknowledge that your weight will fluctuate. You could very well have a loss but.... it wont show up on the scale.

Get some measuring tape out... plan a bi-weekly measure on the same day, same time.... preferably first thing in the morning after you have used the bathroom. Record your measurements.

Scales are highly over-rated. I just started to use mine once per MONTH - and use clothing and measuring as a more precise way to show weight loss.

Right now as I type this, I am wearing an outfit that was uber-snug-tight on me about 7 months ago... now I can see room in my sleeves, the shirt sits on me so much better, the pants have plenty of room....

You have to change your way of thinking, your mind and what your perceptions are... otherwise you will ultimately be the reason why you are not losing weight - you will cause your body to produce too much cortisol and that can cause weight gain.,......

Agree and add- You have lost 7 lbs in two weeks, that is 3.5lbs a week average. That is pretty good, and it is not uncommon to have a low week or even a slight gain after a big loss.

Be patient with yourself and work on eating and being healthy, the weight will follow.

Best wishes.
  • truecountrygirl
    truecountrygirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks and i think i might try that. i mean i guess i should work out even more this coming week and see what happens. i just didnt want to over work out because i am just starting out
  • Danhra
    Danhra Posts: 77
    Options
    I know it can be frustrating, I worked out hard, everyday for 3 straight months last winter and didn't so much as lose one pound, but I lost inches. I have to agree with another poster, you should break out the measuring tape and have patience. You could simply be building muscle that you never had in place of some of the fat loss too.

I wouldn't worry so much about eating too many calories, 1200 seems like a minimal healthy amount to me; 600 calories is very unhealthy in my opinion. Also, make sure that the rest of the content in your food is optimal (ie: don't go over on fat or sodium intake).

I'm not an expert, but that's just my 2cents
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    When you change your routine It can take about body several days to figure out what you are doing. Give it time. You'll be fine. You don't need to half starve yourself to lose weight trust me.
  • miamigirll
    Options
    Don't give up!! Ok, now that I've got that out of the way...I hit the wall like you did. My problem was that I wasn't eating enough snacks. I was always under calories, exercising 3-4x a week, drinking water...and nothing :( I bought those 100 calorie snack packs and brought them into work with me. I also bought some almonds and brought those in too. Just remember to have one of the packs in between meals and when you snack on the almonds, be careful to have only one serving at a time since they are higher in calories and fat...but so good for you!

Keep it up...I did and now I've lost 2 more pounds...WHEWWWWW! :)

Friend me...we can both use the support!
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It sounds like water weight fluctuation to me. To put it in perspective, one would have to burn 24,500 calories to lose 7 pounds. Those are Biggest Loser type numbers. It takes a lot of exercise to burn that many calories, and 1 to 2 pounds a week is what is suggested by the 'experts'. I think our bodies sometimes just need some time to get things figured out. Try to relax and stop worrying so much about the scale. Unless there is something physically wrong, the weight will come off, but it takes time. We didn't gain the weight overnight, and it won't come off overnight. The only difference is that it's usually much more fun putting it on than taking it off!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I agree with the measurements. I only weigh every other week and do my measurements at the same time. At my last weigh in day, I had only lost 1 lb for those two weeks... but I lost 2 inches on my waist and 1 inch on my hips. So, even though the scale made me a bit upset, I felt so much better when I saw the measurements!
  • truecountrygirl
    Options

Agree and add- You have lost 7 lbs in two weeks, that is 3.5lbs a week average. That is pretty good, and it is not uncommon to have a low week or even a slight gain after a big loss.

Be patient with yourself and work on eating and being healthy, the weight will follow.

Best wishes.
  • truecountrygirl
    Options
    I lost the 7lbs in just one week
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I lost the 7lbs in just one week

I know you lost 7lbs in one week and maintained in the second week. I was averaging it out. It is still 7lbs in 2 weeks and an average of 3.5 each week.

Look at the big picture. You are still down 7lbs. If you dont' think that is an accomplishment go in your pantry and pick up a 5lb bag of flour and add 2 lbs of butter and walk around carrying that for a while. 7lbs is a very good start.

Don't beat yourself up at not losing one week, look at the overall picture. You will have many more weeks of staying the same and yes, even some weeks you gain. If you don't look at all the progress you are making, you will be banging your head against a wall.

Stick to it and best wishes. You can do, just be patient.
  • lucentabella
    lucentabella Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes time for your body to adjust. An important step in losing weight, is working with your physician to rule out any medical issues that may hinder your efforts. It's important to remember, a scale doesn't always reflect the changes occuring in your body. Muscle is denser than fat. A pound of muscle and fat weigh the same. A pound of muscle takes up half the space of a pound of fat. I would suggest working with a professional, nutritionist, or physician to complete a Body Composition Analysis. This can tell you how much of your body is fat and how much is Skeletal/Muscle Mass. It can help you to refocus on reducing body fat and increasing lean muscle rather than just losing weight on the scale. The more muscle you have, the more calories you need and burn.

If you'd rather not invest in getting a BCA, then you can do some things at home to monitor the changes in your body that a scale may not reflect. The simplest is to use a measuring tape and measure the circumference of your neck, waist, hips, thighs, and arms (or other areas your a looking to slim down).
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Our brains get faster to a new routine than the rest of our bodies, hang in there.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Well maybe you are.holding water from the working out if I remember your body works out then it holds s ome water to help repairthe muscles that were worked. I hope I am explaining this right.
  • truecountrygirl
    Options
    thank you all im sure you all know how is it when you are trying but it didnt work. im just new so i will have to see what happens till wednesday cuz that is when i started the program so i am hoping that maybe i will have lost the 2 lbs like my goal is. and i am going to see about getting a tape measure tonight when i go to the store just to see what is will be. i did have to put 2 holes in my belt on monday so i guess that is a good thing.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    . i did have to put 2 holes in my belt on monday so i guess that is a good thing.

WOW... you definitely need to retrain your way of thinking.. its not 'I guess thats a good thing' - youre not accepting it as a valid source of weight-loss verification...

That... IS a good thing.
    This is why you need to ditch the scale-reading-only concept. Youve allowed yourself to think the scale is the sole source of weight loss information.

You had to put two holes in the belt... Youre suppose to be celebrating ALL loses... are you really willing to let a number on a scale mess with you that much? Dont... in fact... get rid of the scale if you have to and only use it weekly, bi weekly or monthly... Use that measuring tape, try on a new outfit that is your goal outfit..

What ever you choose, DONT allow YOU to be the reason why you fail...