party weekend HELP!

Options
I had lost a total of 95lbs over the course of a year and half, and in the last 2 months I've gained 15lb of that back! The problem is too many graduation parties and weddings that I'm invited to, and can't NOT go because it would be insulting to the guest of honor and their families. Tonight I have a wedding dinner, and tomorrow a housewarming party. And this being central Wisconsin, of course there will be TONS of beer and brats and cheese, and I just can't find the willpower to say NO! HELP!!!

Replies

• anthrochix
    anthrochix Posts: 264
    Options
    I feel ya. These things are hard and there is no easy answer. All I can offer is to say "It looks wonderful, but no thank you".

Best of luck! Try to remember that Being healthy is far far better than anything could ever taste.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    if it is a food problem, for the house warming party, bring a veggie platter, or pita and a healthy dip
    if it is a drink problem, just try to order water, or clear liqour with a diet soda, or bring your own if you can
    if you guys are going out to a restaurant at all or something being catered, just try to load up on veggies
    what i do is try to turn my side into the main dish....so if i have a sald, it gets bigger, and then i don't have as much room for chicken or steak or whatevs

i hope this helps

oh, and desert...just don't. unless it is fruit! or you can stop at just one piece!

maybe try to have a lighter day too. eat a small breakfast, then all your cals at night.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Do a heck of a lot of exercise to make up for those extra calories
  • juliep63
    juliep63 Posts: 84
    Options
    I'm from Canada, so I don't know if this is available where you are, but Old Dutch potato chips have come out with these really good baked chips in several flavours. I would suggest bringing a couple of bags for the table, then, you can eat something there that isn't rabbit food while still staying on your diet. The ratio is good too - there's something like 4g of fat/28 chips. It lets you "cheat" while still staying on track.

Good luck!
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    stay away from buffets! If you find a place to sit or stand that is away from the food that will keep you from grazing. Keep something in your hand - something to drink, like water or diet soda or something - again this keeps your hand occupied and gives you something to put to your mouth that isn't bad. Decide before you go in how much your going to have of what - make a deal with yourself and then keep yourself engaged in conversation, walking around, dancing, whatever will keep your mind off the food. enter your food on your phone or write it down on a piece of paper BEFORE you put it in your mouth...yes people will ask what you're doing and why and then tell them - I've gained some weight back and it's really depressing me, I don't want to mindlessly eat -- you may find that they help keep you away from the food.
  • kathrynp45
    kathrynp45 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I understand how gaining back weight (especially when I have a weakness for microbrew beers and hotdogs) is easier than taking it off! What has helped me is before an event I document honestly what I would eat if I didn't think I had to track it. Before changing my lifestyle I would probably have had 4 dark beers, a big brat with cheese, potato chips, a big piece of cake, big portion of potato salad, etc. I figure out how much more exercise I am going to need to do in the next 5 days to make up for the calories of that one event. Since I don't like to run and I am not interested in running a marathon, I negotiate giving up some of the food (and stick to it at the event) and increase my exercise so I can maintain my weight.
  • genma1987
    genma1987 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm back from the wedding party...it went well! They had a buffet style, but I filled my plate with veggies and fruit, pretzels, and roast beef sandwich. I had NO beer and NO cheese, and NO candy, and I was able to not over indulge. Thanks so much for the help! :smile: :