So, why not?

Options
I suppose it's time I introduce myself, though I'm often a shy, awkward person at times.

I come here because a friend of mine came here. I've always toyed with the thought of losing weight, but never put much interest in it. A large part of that comes from the lack of support. Sure, I'd get family members who would say, "You need to lose weight. It's unhealthy!", but as for actual support, there was zero.

A long time ago, I learned not to go by BMI, so I'm not even going to worry about that. I already know I'm morbidly obese, weighing in at 385 lbs at 6'0". My body fat percentage, however, is 30.33%, roughly. I'm in horrific shape, being 32, and it's way past time that I do something about it.

The problem is, I don't know all I can do. I've been counting calories, and maybe it's a placebo effect, but I FEEL like I've lost weight. I don't have a scale here at home to try it out, no doctor scale will support me (not in this area, at least) and I can't get out to the gym to weigh myself there. So I have to go by feeling.

But... I did do something I've never done before, as more motivation to lose weight. I took a side picture of myself without my shirt on. I could be blind and say, "There's no way you weigh 385 lbs!", but I guess looks can be deceiving. The pic's in my profile, if anyone dare take a look.

Why am I doing this? Obvious reasons - I want to get healthy again. The underlying reason is I want to be able to play with my children and not let them down because daddy can't keep up with them. I want to stop being lazy, which is what I'm doing now with all this weight. I want to be able to do a job where I don't have to sit down all day because I'm too out of shape to do physical labor.

The hardest part for me is finding support, which the friend that got me started here has done an excellent job of doing. I wish that I would get familial support, though. I live with my brother, and he usually cooks. When he cooks, he doesn't leave anything for later. It's all or nothing. I've learned, however, that I don't have to eat the entire thing in one sitting. I turned four burritos into two meals just the other day. It's still hard, not having his support or his understanding that I don't want to eat a whole can of corn that serves 4 people.

I guess this has gone on long enough. It's supposed to be an introduction, not a life story. In a way, though, it's another tool for me to be motivated, and it's self-acceptance that I have a problem that needs fixing now. So, why not?

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. why not!?

Welcome aboard....

Just remember though - family members just dont 'get it'... the majority of them that is. I just ignore them and when they come crying on the phone why I dont see them anymore.. I put it to them bluntly... "You are just too damn negative and I dont need you around me - plain and simple"....

Chin up my friend...

By the way - you have DROP DEAD GORGEOUS eyes!! Melt-like-butter eyes....
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do this! You've already built up enough momentum to start changing your habits. Keep it going! Make lots of friends here - we will keep you accountable even if your family disapproved :tongue: I think many times family don't want us to change because they are in their comfort zone, and we belong right there with them. Take charge, cook your own meals, make leftover plates for thr fridge from the excess food. All the best to you! Feel free to add me as a friend :wink:
  • charneus
    Options
    I don't think I have blushed so hard in a while. Thanks for the compliment on my eyes. I've been told they are my best feature, even when everything else is wrong about me.
  • jcriscuolo
    jcriscuolo Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and come to this site every day. Make sure you are honest with your food consumption and you will find yourself doing more things like the burrito story. It's because you are accountable now to MFP and your calorie counter. I have only been here a week but I log on every day and have logged EVERYTHING that I have eaten. This tool keeps me from snacking in the evening. Stay committed and maybe your brother sees the benefit of your actions. Good luck.
  • GreenEyedGrl86
    Options
    Welcome and good luck! You have made the biggest step already in realizing that you need a lifestyle change for the better! Feel free to add me if you like.
  • Kellysue32
    Options
    Keep up the great work!!! It's all about small changes that lead to the biggest change of all...how we feel about ourselves! Feel free to add me as a friend...I try to be supportive everyday on here!!!
  • hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you have lost weight, then maybe you have! Maybe you can't weigh yourself or do too much exercise, but you can watch what you eat until you feel like you can do more. I don't have nearly the challenge that you do, but I felt like if I tried to do too much at once, then I would fail. I didn't exercise when I started until I felt inspired to try. It felt good to eat less (after I got used to it) and hopefully exercising will be the same way.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    DO

NOT

GIVE

UP.

DO

NOT

GIVE

IN.

DO

NOT

EVER

FORGET

WHY

YOU

STARTED!

Welcome to MFP!
  • ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Welcome and well done so far!
    It's hard when your family don't understand what your trying to do and even worse when they don't encourage your weight loss!
    I've found the support from my MFP friends has really helped.
    You'll do great here :)
  • k9runner1963
    k9runner1963 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking the first steps to healthy living! Just take it one step at a time and MFP is a great place to come for support and encouragement! It's all about choices, you are making the right ones! Keep up the good work!
  • Jen2Bfit
    Jen2Bfit Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You can find all kinds of support here. I too have no support from family, but coming here has helped to keep me motivated when I fell like giving up. Feel free to add me as a friend, we can always use more of those in life. :smile:
  • LoriBarefoot
    LoriBarefoot Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Welcome Welcome! It's so great to see you here. Just remember, log in everyday whether it's a good one or a bad one, knowing we'll be here to listen and/or lift you up no matter what!!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I went to Walmart (I'm sure they are available elsewhere...) and found a scale that weighed up to 400 lbs. That enables me to have a scale that will give me regular feedback. What can you do?

1. Log your intake and be aware of portion size. Often that is where we fail. Stay at or slightly below what MFP sets according to your goals.
    2. If you feel like you have lost some ... you probably have. Especially if your clothes feel looser -- be proud of that.
    3. Any activity is better than no activity at all ... but for me ... I cut calories first ... soon I wanted to do more. Personally my family all joined the YMCA this past month and I have been doing as much cardio as I can. It makes a difference and helps improve your endurance.
    4. Keep at it. You can do it. Your motivation is very good... Your kids. Most importantly... You want to be there for them ... Not many people our size are around at 60. (I am 52)... Most importantly though. Do it for yourself.

Best wishes.
  • benodie
    benodie Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    you will get loads of support on here! Good luck

(I agree with the comment about your eyes btw) :smile:
  • marciab30
    marciab30 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there and welcome...

First off if you need support then this place and others like it are the places to be daily. Logging activity and food :) and if you don't have a scale it's ok you can always tell my other things... Pictures to compare are always a good way to see the weight loss and also how do your clothes feel? Are they getting looser? etc. Good luck to you on your weight loss journey.
  • kriggs1976
    Options
    Want to welcome you and be prepared because I will be adding you as a friend :) I come on every day and track every morsel to food and I know you can too. I rarely weigh myself, but I know I am losing because I have pants that fall off now! And people tell me they can see a difference.

Too bad you are not in Texas; we could hit the gym together and drop the pounds! But even though we can not do it in person, we can do it virtually!
  • Julesbriff
    Julesbriff Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi - welcome to MFP!!

You have taken the first important step in making the decision to change your lifestyle - well done on that.

Let us help you further to give you the motivation and much needed support to keep it going. It can be hard not having the support of family and friends around you - but remember you are doing this for you and your kids and that is a worthwhile reason not to give up.

I am sending you a friend request and I log on everyday and love the support you get on this site.
  • charneus
    Options
    Wow, I just have to say, thank you, each and every one of you! I didn't imagine I'd get so many friend requests just from this post, and I wasn't even expecting to get this much positive support, either!

I went out for a walk this morning. My brother caught me stretching out my legs. I know I shouldn't have been offended, but here's an example of the support I don't get...

My brother: "What are you doing, weirdo?"
    Me: "I'm going for a walk."
    My brother: "Oh, okay. Why?"
    Me: "To help lose weight? To exercise my heart?"
    My brother: "But why do that at 6 in the morning? You're crazy."

I guess "offended" isn't the right word, but it would have been nice to have someone say, "Oh, mind if I join you?" or even just some words of encouragement. Oh well. I know I'll get plenty here!

Thanks again, guys!
  • marciab30
    marciab30 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow, I just have to say, thank you, each and every one of you! I didn't imagine I'd get so many friend requests just from this post, and I wasn't even expecting to get this much positive support, either!

I went out for a walk this morning. My brother caught me stretching out my legs. I know I shouldn't have been offended, but here's an example of the support I don't get...

My brother: "What are you doing, weirdo?"
    Me: "I'm going for a walk."
    My brother: "Oh, okay. Why?"
    Me: "To help lose weight? To exercise my heart?"
    My brother: "But why do that at 6 in the morning? You're crazy."

I guess "offended" isn't the right word, but it would have been nice to have someone say, "Oh, mind if I join you?" or even just some words of encouragement. Oh well. I know I'll get plenty here!

Thanks again, guys!

I think we don't get the encouragement we need from our family and friends sometimes because they just don't see the issue or feel bad about themselves because they aren't taking steps to better themselves. Kinda easier to make fun of that person than to admit you need to lose a few pounds yourself.
  • lsroberts1987
    lsroberts1987 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    6 a.m. isn't crazy....4 a.m. is! Coincidentally, that's the only time I can make it to the gym...so 4 a.m. it is! Guess that makes me a crazy person. :) You're doing a fantastic job so far. This sort of thing starts with baby steps. Walking is a wonderful starting point for conditioning and jump-starting your metabolism. You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll be able to add mileage and speed to your walks. As far as your brother goes, he's probably just jealous that you've decided to take control of your own destiny. It takes a courageous person to begin this journey...it isn't an easy one. Continue to believe in yourself no matter how discouraged you might become and you'll do great!