Why oh why?

Options
No weight gone this week!!! This is getting to the point of ticking me off!! I weigh mysef nightly before going to bed so I can kinda figure what I will weigh in the mornings- I consistanly weigh 2 - 2.5 less in the mornings then I do at night time. Last night I was at my lowest weight, for night time, so I thought wonderful in the morning I will be down 2 pounds from that and that means I will have a loss for this week... I get up this morning and NOPE NOT THE CASE! WTH? This morning only 0.6 less!!!! First time I have showed that small of a weight difference between night time and morning! So frustrated, dissapointed and just down right pissed off about it I could scream! I have tried eating back some calories, taking a cheat day, exercise more, do this do that nothing is breaking this plateau I have hit... for as far as I can see there is NO DROP in weight!!! Oh and before you ask...no change in measurements either in the last 3 weeks! This is why in the pas I have always just said screw it, if I am not gonna loose any then why effing bother and gave up...! Which is exactly what I am NOT going to do this time! I am so bumfuzzled why I am stuck at this weight that it makes my head hurt! I just needed to vent and UUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH, scream!

Replies

• sarchie6608
    Options
    I totally feel your pain! The same happened with me. I wrote an email I refused to send to anyone just to let out how frustrated I am. It's really discouraging. I started this journey in January and lost 5 lbs, which is my goal each month. This month......I'm losing everything gained (Ha!) last month!

I'm going to try something different next week and see what happens. I started exercising more this month and I believe I proabably need to eat more.

That's my plan. I'll see what happens next Friday morning.

We've both have to hang in there.......we'll get there!
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on yoru food/diary since its not public. Could it be that TOM is just around the corner? I always gain weight right before TOM.

I would also stop weighing as often as you do-bodies will change daily and it will only drive you crazy and angry when the numbers don't show what you want. Weigh once a week instead.

Hang in there-you have done a great job losing over 30lbs so far you can do this-it will take time and its not easy but you can do it!
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    First of relax. It'll work itself out. Second, don't weigh yourself everyday. You'll become too obsessed with a number. Maybe take your measurements or go by how your clothes fit. They have some great posts on here about plateaus. There's a few different things that you can try. Alternate eating days. Every other day eat more calories (but not junk), try to use all your allotted calories if not a little more. Then on the other days, try to eat fewer calories but still try to net around 1200 or close to. This will help confuse the body.

Also, try mixing up your work outs. If you do elliptical, try doing intervals instead of one level. Spend 2-4 minutes at your maximum capacity and then 2-4 minutes at a slower pace to rest in between. Also, change up the type of exercises that you do. Alternate days between cardio and strength training.

Plateaus suck, but they can be overcome. Most importantly, DON'T GIVE UP!!! Being healthy and fit is way more important than a number on a scale. Consider how you feel without thinking about weight.
  • llamb6698
    llamb6698 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! i've been stuck at this same weight for nearly a month now... i just can't seem to get over this hump.... i'm so ready to have hit 40lbs.lost.
  • SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options

First of relax. It'll work itself out. Second, don't weigh yourself everyday. You'll become too obsessed with a number. Maybe take your measurements or go by how your clothes fit. They have some great posts on here about plateaus. There's a few different things that you can try. Alternate eating days. Every other day eat more calories (but not junk), try to use all your allotted calories if not a little more. Then on the other days, try to eat fewer calories but still try to net around 1200 or close to. This will help confuse the body.

Also, try mixing up your work outs. If you do elliptical, try doing intervals instead of one level. Spend 2-4 minutes at your maximum capacity and then 2-4 minutes at a slower pace to rest in between. Also, change up the type of exercises that you do. Alternate days between cardio and strength training.

Plateaus suck, but they can be overcome. Most importantly, DON'T GIVE UP!!! Being healthy and fit is way more important than a number on a scale. Consider how you feel without thinking about weight.

This was really helpful. I'm currently experiencing the same thing, so I will try alternating the amount of calories I eat in a day. Once I start losing again, do I keep doing that or do I go back to consuming 1200/day?
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Step away from the scale! Daily weigh ins I can understand if you are able to use it to keep you focused and motivated not to drive you nuts. But twice a day? That's too too much!
  • lovinmysoldier
    lovinmysoldier Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I know it can be frustrating but Seriuosly have someone hide your scale.
    I hit a plateau for just over a month and I used to react how you used to. Now my mindset is REGARDLESS of what the scale says I know I did everything right. I got the right amount of exercise, I ate appropriate servings of healthy food. I am getting healthier. The scale is just a tool, it is not the measurement of my efforts. I know I am healthier now than a week ago. Point being, put more emphasis on what you can do and less on what is out of your hands.

Secondly, checkout www.intense-workout.com my new fav website. I followed his recommendations which for me meant eating a bit more and added focusing on weight training and so far this week I'm losing too fast (for those that ate going to freak out on me: giving it another week and will up calories if trend continues)

It's all about creating a healthier you. Don't give that stupid scale so much power
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Because you've lost more than 30 lbs. your calorie limit is less than what it was. After every 10 lb. loss MFP should be asking you if you want to update your goals. If you haven't received this message you should manually reset your goals.

Go to Settings (very top of page), select Update Diet/Fitness Profile, double check your inputs, click Update. Your new calorie limit is shown.

One thing to remember, this will wipe out any custom overrides you may have done. If you want to restore them or customize anything (and you should), then go to My Home>>Goals>>Change Goals>>Custom.

MFP's default for protein is dreadfully low at 15%. Increase protein and decrease carbs and fat. I recommend increasing your fiber to at least 25g per day and lower sodium to 1800-2200mg per day. The lower the better.

Stop obsessing with the scale. Weigh yourself once per week first thing in the morning after using the bathroom. Stick to your calorie limit eating whole nutritious foods, get plenty of sleep every night (7-8 hours), and exercise.

If you're not losing weight you're either underestimating your food/beverage consumption or overestimating your calories burned from exercise. Assuming your settings, like activity/lifestyle, are accurate. Do not include dedicated exercise workouts in your activity setting.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    This happens to me all the time! I only weigh at night once in a blue moon, but usually I'm down another pound or two come morning. But once in a while I'll not lose anything, or even gain overnight. Eating nothing, doing nothing. What it usually is for me is a food allergy. I'll bloat up, full of water and gas (sorry if TMI), and weigh more! It's frustrating for sure, but see if this happens with you. Carefully examine everything you eat when this happens. Just in case. It could also be a TOM thing. So look at that too.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    I think that you should only use it to get over the hump, then go back to monitoring as normal. But it can be a good way to get past humps.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with weighing yourself every morning but twice per day is probably too much, especially if you're going to obsess about the difference between your bedtime weight and your morning weight. It's not worth the aggravation and heartache.

A small gain one day is not a plateau and there's nothing to get stressed over. Weight loss is NOT linear, as much as we'd like it be. Some days you'll go up a little and others you'll go down a little. The more weight you lose, the more true this will be and the less you'll lose on a weekly basis because you have less to lose.
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all advise! I do appreciate it- to answer some of the questions- No TOM is not right around the corner so I can not use that as an excuse- yes I know I get on the scale a lot to some of you but that is how it keeps me on track! I would be devestated if I weighed only once a week and had a gain- it would hit me and I would not be ready for it. Obsessing over the scale you may think so but it works for me- I just neeed to vent. I have been stuck here since before Christmas so it's not just a day or two at the same weight. We are going on now almost 2 months! Some suggested I try to stay under my Carbs too... I have not been watching them as closely as my sodium but will now be watching that. The trouble is if I stay under sodium, under carbs but get my calories in what are good things to eat? Since I have not been watching my carbs it will take some adjustment on my part for a while but I will figure it out! Again thanks everyone for your advise, support and just understandment! :smooched:
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Just keep doing what you are doing! I don't weigh myself every day, but for the past 2 weeks I haven't lost anything, but I am not going to stress out about it!! Maybe you just need a kick up your exercise a notch. You can do it!
  • change_happens
    Options
    No weight gone this week!!! This is getting to the point of ticking me off!! I weigh mysef nightly before going to bed so I can kinda figure what I will weigh in the mornings- I consistanly weigh 2 - 2.5 less in the mornings then I do at night time. Last night I was at my lowest weight, for night time, so I thought wonderful in the morning I will be down 2 pounds from that and that means I will have a loss for this week... I get up this morning and NOPE NOT THE CASE! WTH? This morning only 0.6 less!!!! First time I have showed that small of a weight difference between night time and morning! So frustrated, dissapointed and just down right pissed off about it I could scream! I have tried eating back some calories, taking a cheat day, exercise more, do this do that nothing is breaking this plateau I have hit... for as far as I can see there is NO DROP in weight!!! Oh and before you ask...no change in measurements either in the last 3 weeks! This is why in the pas I have always just said screw it, if I am not gonna loose any then why effing bother and gave up...! Which is exactly what I am NOT going to do this time! I am so bumfuzzled why I am stuck at this weight that it makes my head hurt! I just needed to vent and UUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH, scream!

When I first began to lose weight, I was losing steadily. I hit a plateau here and there, but nothing that was to crazy. Then I started having some medical issues, had to take a few months off. I was stuck at the same weight for some time, but that was okay, at least I wasn't gaining.

All of a sudden, I started picking up an ounce here and there. Now, this is odd for my body, since I have never gained weight like that. I have been trying to get the 3lbs of fat off, but it won't budge. Also, I gain a horrible amount of water weight, depending on what I eat, as well as that time of the month. It seems I am always staring at the water weight and when it goes away there are a few ounces of fat that seem to linger around.

So, i completely feel your pain, because right now I just want to go and eat up a big ol' overstuffed pizza and call it a day! But i won't! :)

Hang on in there, I am sure our bodies will comply sooner or later! I guess I am going to have to beat mine into submission! :)