P90X weight gain?

Options
so i started P90X on monday and in three days ive gained 3.4 pounds.. did this happen to anyone else? why does this happen? how much did you gain? how long did the gain last? im confused.

Replies

• JDinOH
    Options
    Yes, Shaandi. I am finishing my 4th week right now. I initially gained about the same 3.5# during my first and second week. At the beginning of this week I weighed at the original weight when I started. For the heck of it, I checked today and I am down 2 pounds. Have you taken your before measurements? In 4 weeks, I have lost 5 inches from my waist - I think you will see a difference there instead of on the scales - at least for a couple more weeks.
  • LauraSS
    LauraSS Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Shaandi I know so many people who have put weight on because of the muscle that P90X builds, which is a great thing, because it proves how much of a liar the scale is when it comes to what is going on in your body.

Take your measurements and go by them instead and put the scale in jail for the first 30 days of P90X and only weigh once a month. You will find because muscle burns more calories than fat does, your inches will be released and your clothing size will decrease. The scale may say you weigh more, but that is because you will be carrying around lean muscle instead of fat for weight.

It is not uncommon in females to put on an extra 10 pounds in lean muscle, yet drop 4-5 sizes.

Keep working those muscles and remember what Tony says..."Do Your Best and Forget The Rest!"
  • vegan_shandi
    Options
    thank you so much for your replies, i have been going crazy trying to figure out what is going on with me!
  • LauraSS
    LauraSS Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's all normal and like your friends have pointed out, it is also water, another natural occurence in the body when starting an active body changing program like P90X.

Don't be afraid of the scale. Let it teach you to read your body, but let your clothes be the indicator of the changes in your body.

Cheers to your health and to being fit for Graduation!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    It's water - your muscles are repairing itself and your body needs water to do that...You CANNOT build 3.4 pounds of muscle in three days....:noway:
  • vegan_shandi
    Options
    i didnt think id gained 3.4 pounds of muscle, i didnt think id gained 3.4 pounds of fat either. that is why i made this topic, was to ask what the 3.4 pounds could be.
  • Starhailey
    Starhailey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Shaandi -

Have you checked out teambeachbody.com? You can set up a free account and you can talk to people going through the same things as you are going through. You also get a free coach assigned to you when you set up an account. If you don't already have one, you can choose me as your coach (my username on teambeachbody is also starhailey).

I have been going through the same things. At first I gained weight, then pretty much stayed the same. I'm on 32 days and I haven't seen a dramatic decrease in inches or pounds yet, and only 1.4 pounds down but you can tell I'm building muscle. I can do so much more with the programs now.

If you decide to get the account set up, check out the message thread "P90X Women Results". It really helped me get through the fact that I wasn't seeing results yet. It talks about the fact that us women don't usually see much results until the last phase, so keep pushing play! Hope to see you on the message threads!

- Star
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    hmmm... are you following the nutrition guide?

I'm on week 4 and have lost a total of 4 pounds, so far. I think I lost 2 within the first week. I'm not following the MFP calorie recommendation anymore, but I'm sticking to the 1800 calories a day that P90X recommends for me (they have a formula you have to do).

It might just be a strange fluctuation that has nothing to do with P90X but is just something that happens. For example yesterday I was two pounds heavier than usual for no reason that I can think of. Just track the general trend of your weight loss and don't get too hung up on the day to day changes.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's definitely water weight. It can't be muscle as it hasn't been long enough for a body to develop muscle. Besides, to create muscle you need a very small caloric deficit or a surplus of calories. But how many calories are you eating? Are you following the nutrition guide? I ask because if you under eat your body won't release the weight. It happened to me at eating 1800 calories. I am doing X2 right now and pack away 2800-3000 calories.
  • Zalitharia
    Zalitharia Posts: 34 Member
    Options

If you decide to get the account set up, check out the message thread "P90X Women Results". It really helped me get through the fact that I wasn't seeing results yet. It talks about the fact that us women don't usually see much results until the last phase, so keep pushing play! Hope to see you on the message threads!

- Star

Ohhhh, I'm excited to hear this. I started week 7 yesterday and though I've seen results on the scale (~10 pounds), most of my results are noticeable off the scale. Increased strength, coordination, flexibility, endurance, etc. Clothes that don't fit, muscles showing up that I never saw before. But I had hoped to see more progress (I know, we're never completely satisfied, right?) since I have been very dedicated since the beginning, no missed days except for a 6 day break after eye surgery, and pushing hard each time I hit play. I'm excited to read your post and hear that if I keep it up I may notice even more results in phase 3! :D

Bring it!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    It's water. You can't gain muscle that quickly. It's only been a few days. Your muscles are retaining water from the new strength workouts.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I lost 5 lbs my first week on P90x, then gained back 4 the following week..and the scale has been bouncing up and down 3 pounds every day for the last 4 weeks

I lost 5 inches, and dropped a jeans size.

I've seen on the team beach body site that many people don't see results till around week 7.

Hang in there! (I have to tell myself that every day!)
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. I just started P90X, and I have always been one of those obsessive scale people. After reading this thread, I have decided to keep away from the scale until I hit my 30 day mark. I don't want to get discouraged if I see weight gain. I hate that I rely on the scale so much. I know this program will work, so I keep reminding myself to give it time to see the results.

I think what everybody has been saying about water weight gain makes a ton of sense. Actually I have been watching my sodium intake for this purpose. I'm not an expert by any means, but maybe you should try reducing your sodium and see if anything changes.
  • Zalitharia
    Zalitharia Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love this thread too. It got me excited and I pushed HARD last night during Plyometrics. I'm soooo sore today but LOVING it! Today is day 45, I've been thinking I might go reward myself for getting half way through with a massage.
  • MelPup1
    MelPup1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have started week 4 of P90X. I have gained 5 lbs since I began P90x. I am not sure what to do though. I have been told to hang in there, Ill start to lose weight again and also have been told that P90x is not a weight loss program, it's a home fitness program and I should not be doing it until I lose the weight/fat. I have 50lbs. more to lose. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
  • MelPup1
    MelPup1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am following the lean workout program.
  • ShannonB06
    ShannonB06 Posts: 9
    Options
    I have started week 4 of P90X. I have gained 5 lbs since I began P90x. I am not sure what to do though. I have been told to hang in there, Ill start to lose weight again and also have been told that P90x is not a weight loss program, it's a home fitness program and I should not be doing it until I lose the weight/fat. I have 50lbs. more to lose. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

You will still see weight loss, as well as a lot more muscle. Whoever told you that was half right, it is a home fitness program that will work every aspect of fitness! But if you are following the diet plan and watching your calorie intake (not too low but not too high) you will lose weight, it just takes time. After 4 weeks I would guess it's a combination of water and muscle, but also I am not an expert. I can just say I have seen so many people lose weight and get fit with this program. Just monitor your diet carefully, eat clean and make sure you get enough protein and quality calories to support building muscle. Your measurements, the way you feel and fit in your clothes may be a better indicator than the scale. Good luck with your journey! I'm off to check that thread on the BB forums. :) I only have 3 weeks left of P90X!