Public Diary

Options
I have had a few MFP friends tell me I should make my diary public. I am not so sure/comfortable with that and I am not sure why... I was wondering what made you decide to make your diary public or keep it private?

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    You do what you want to do. If you are asking questions as to why you can not lose weight or want to know better ways to eat, then yes, by all means open your diary. Other than that, some people are nosy and like to critique peoples diary.

This journey is about you, not anyone else.

So if people want you to open your diary, you can ask them why it is important to them?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I like that people can look through my diary to get ideas, just like I do to them. Sometimes I look through the diaries of people with similar goals to mine and see what they are eating. Sometimes it gives me ideas for something different for snacks or meals. I have never once had anyone criticize what I eat/drink, even when I log multiple glasses of wine in an evening. The vast majority of people really aren't that judgmental.

Also, if you get stuck while losing weight, no one can really help you since they can't see what you are eating and usually that is where the problem lies.

Edited to add: ultimately, if you want it private, that's your choice. Totally up to you, however you feel comfortable.
  • katermoody
    Options
    For me it lends another level of accountability and I hope it helps motivate others and/or give them some meal ideas, although my foods are kinda redundant...
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to public, but I don't think most people spend a lot of time looking around others diaries unless you ask them to take a look at it to help you out. I've never received any comments on mine, but I've never asked for any either.
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Mine is public because it helps with my accountability. If I hide it- it feels like I am hiding what I am eating and that seems counterproductive to me.

Plus- everyone is here because they have made some crappy eating decisions- no one is going to judge you if you dont have the perfect diary.

Also- mine is public because I really don't care if someone sees that I had some salmon for dinner or a burger for lunch!
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to my friends, but not to everyone here on MFP. I've been around long enough to know that not everyone here has your best interests at heart. However, I trust my friends to give me helpful and honest feedback when warranted.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I made mine public because it makes me NOT want to over eat as people will see it.
  • LoriBarefoot
    LoriBarefoot Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    accountability!!.. and I want people to see just how great I'm eating. haha
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I leave mine open to give others food ideas. It doesnt bother me because the scale keeps going down
  • stacymbush
    Options
    I do it for accountability. Even though I don't think any of my friends even have time to look at it, I think twice when I know that they are going to see me eating that donut or eating Quarter Pounders. Which, of course, I still eat on rare occasions. But opening the diary keeps it to 'rare occassions' and not turning into a regular thing. In short, only do it for you.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My diary is only open to my friends.

I would never open it to the public because it seems that folks here have very strong opinions about what makes a 'good' diet. I know what works for me, and I just don't care to have input from people who don't know me or understand my goals.
  • sjwhite7
    sjwhite7 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that everyone is here for a reason. Most of the time its for support or connecting with people who have the same goals in mind. When someone tells you whats wrong with you eating habits, its not to judge you but to help you find a healthier way of living. Its constructive criticism. Also remember that what works for one will not always work for another so it is good to be able to look at more than one persons diary to get ideas or new recipes and so forth. Just keep a positive mind and don't let anything or anyone take you mind off the prize.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options

Plus- everyone is here because they have made some crappy eating decisions- no one is going to judge you if you dont have the perfect diary.

Some people keep it closed because there are some on here that will judge. They think what ever way they eat OS better than someone else's and feel the need to let you know about it. One person, that I know of has gone to the lengths of calling another MFPer by name because of their choices.

I look at others diaries for ideas for meals, so I leave mine open to friends for the same reason.
  • Emily_Katherine
    Options
    Mine is open because I like looking at other peoples' diaries for inspiration/ideas and to help keep me accountable. :)
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I agree - I made mine public because of accountability. No one is really looking but it helps me be honest with myself in a strange way.

A few of my friends joined mfp a few days after I did because they heard me talking about results and wondered what I was doing or eating. I'm doing whats right for me, and if it helps inspire them thats great - but for the most part they are busy ladies with their own dietary needs and I doubt they read my diary. I'm my biggest critic~!~
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm a total hypocrite when it comes to this. I love looking through other people's diaries and getting new food/meal ideas, yet I keep my own completely private. I might open it after I hit maintenance, but until then it's just not gonna happen.