Need a little encouragement!

Options
I am little down today. I tend to weight myself every day which I know is bad. And it is only saying I am down a pound, when on Tuesday it said I was down three pounds :-( I checked my diary and I did have more sodium both Wednesday and Thursday so I have a feeling thats what it is, I really need to start excercising, but I was sick last week coughing up a storm and this week was having some stomach issues.

Normally when a weight gain (even though it is still a pound loss from Monday) happens to me, I am discouraged and cheat. And this time I don't feel the need to sabatoge myself, but I still feel a little down.

Replies

• maryjay51
    Options
    i lost 80lbs so far and i seen the scale go up and down often.. its usually because of water weight though. dont let it discourage you. you saw where you made your mistake .. just change it for next time and the scale will go down again. it comes off eventually if you stick to your diet and exercise regime
  • SamHughes15
    SamHughes15 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry to much about it i heard that your weight can change by 5 pounds in a day! I'd try and weigh in once a week if you can even better if you can do it on the same day at roughly the same time.

Don't be discouraged yet :) its a life long journery, you'll have ups and down just keep strong :)
    x
  • Jenn638
    Jenn638 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    awww dont worry. i am in the same boat, i have a nasty sickness which forces me not to exercise. so the best thing i can do i drink lots of water and stick to my calories. this morning i went up a pound as well. and although im upset about this. i know that once i feel better ill be right at this exercise. so even though we might be losing up to 7days of hard work. we will get back and lose that weight. whereas if you just give up, well you'll never see that scale go down. just tough it out, stick to your calorie goal, get some rest, drink lots of water. once your feeling good enough to hit the gym than hit it! and watch the pounds fly off. you can also take these next couple of days as a recuperation time for all your muscles, a well needed rest day.
  • MAB676
    Options
    Oh wow! I am in the same situation as you!! I feel like I'm eating like a bird and I haven't lost any weight for over a week - in fact I'm up a pound. I too know my sodium is a little high but how can I eat SO much less food and not loose?? It's really frustrating but I feel the same as you that I don't want to give up this time. I'm almost 40 years ago & it's time to be healthy for myself & my family! Hang in there - hopefully the weight will just start dropping off (for both of us) :)
  • HI ! I know it can be discouraging but please hang in there!! Don't forget your monthly cycle can cause temporary water gain as well. When I feel discouraged I put on my tennis shoes and go for a walk - it really lightens the mood!
  • iSpeakLife
    iSpeakLife Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am little down today. I tend to weight myself every day which I know is bad. And it is only saying I am down a pound, when on Tuesday it said I was down three pounds :-( I checked my diary and I did have more sodium both Wednesday and Thursday so I have a feeling thats what it is, I really need to start excercising, but I was sick last week coughing up a storm and this week was having some stomach issues.

Normally when a weight gain (even though it is still a pound loss from Monday) happens to me, I am discouraged and cheat. And this time I don't feel the need to sabatoge myself, but I still feel a little down.

Stop weighing yourself everyday! It sounds like this weight loss is driving your life instead of enhancing your life. As a female especially, our weight can change from 2:00pm to 7:30pm ON THE SAME DAY! Let your body heal, don't over analyze and stay with it! You're doing great, it's part of the journey (as even I am learning). I switched to weighing myself every 2 weeks because thats where I would see some drastic improvement so I would be motivated! Trying spacing your weigh-ins out to at least once a week and just enjoy your life!

Concentrate on the progress you've made and imagine yourself 3 or 4 months from now. Imagine how your clothes fit, how your hair looks, and what you have accomplished. Visualize your success then turn it into your reality!
  • pb6012002
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am proud of myself since I ALWAYS used to fail and cheat if I saw the scale go up even a pound. But this time I am truly in it. I believe to lose weight you need to wrap your head around it and be 100% committed. I want another baby and I don't want to be heavy to start with. And I want to look good for myself! Thanks again.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You've got this! Just remember - you didn't get to this point in a day or a week, so it's not all going to come off in a day or a week. You are going to have ups and downs. As long as you keep working towards you goal, you will see results!
  • Amyoct
    Amyoct Posts: 11
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Hang in there :)
  • free2live72003
    Options
    I too tend to weigh every day and it can be discouraging at times.

However, I have learned that if i insist on weighing every day then I must be accurate in my assessment of that weight.

Too much sodium, yes, I have found that to cause an increase in my weight which is fairly easy to correct. Also, you might have a colon or bladder that is more empty one day than the next. No all movement on the scale is true weight gain.

Even though I have not yet broken my habit of weighing every day, I have given myself permission to go up or down 2-3 lbs without judging myself.

I now focus more on looking at --Did I follow my plan for weight loss? Did I drift away from the new lifestyle habits that I have established for myself? If so, that is OK as long as I go right back to them at the next meal and learn what my body or mind is teaching me in that moment.

Easier said than done, but don't focus too much on the exact number on the scale. Look for a trend over time of whether you are going up or down in weight. I also found it very encouraging to do my measurements. During a nearly 3 month plateau my dropping measurement (with no weight lost) was what kept me sane and motivated.

Good luck! Hang in there.

10324051.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Try to use the reports and look back at your progress over the last 30 days sometimes...it helps me to still see a net loss even when I've been gaining for a week in a row. Also, don't forget TOM and other hormone-y things. They will make it go all wonky sometimes.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Scales are not my friend!!! I weight every day, too, BUT I've learned that my body actually has an 8 lb fluctuation, so I know that I can't focus on the scales. I try to look at how I'm doing (am I eating healthy, am I exercising, am I staying within calorie range) and I look at the feel of my clothes. The scales will go down eventually, and if that is my main focus then I would have given up long ago. It's really hard to see a lb loss one day and then the next five see that gain......so hang in there....it's pretty normal.....and it's tough.....but try to focus on getting yourself healthier and the lbs will eventually change. (Or, at least, that's what I keep telling myself.)!!!!!!
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Totally know where your coming from! I honestly HATE exercising but have started just walking (slugish pace, but still moving) I get my headphone on and just walk and listen to my music it has let me forget about my stress and think of other things.

I unfortunately had a miscarriage and although it had nothing to do with my weight (got E. Coli from food posioning) It made me realize that if I make an effort being a mom WILL happen. I had already started eating healthy and for the first time had actually gotten prego.It does make a difference!!

So I know EXACTLY what you mean about being more fit so your baby can have a better living space :) Kepp on moving no matter what it is...playing hide and seek with your kid or giving him a piggy back ride as you walk even if it is for just 20 min :)
  • I would like to have some friends but don't know how to do it!! How do I send a friend request?
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Started at 300 pounds, oh joy :angry:

:tongue:

But, sometimes I keep this in mind "hang out"

yeah that's weird, but it's something that an instructor in my cardio dvd said. she said, "hang-out" and some strange way I have translated that to my weight loss journey. I'm gonna be on this thing for quite some time, so I might as well get comfortable and hang out. I learned and am still learning, how to deal with so many different issues. I've gone through binge eating phases. I have learned how to eat what I like and stay in my calorie limits. I have learned that I can listen to all kinds of advice but I do not need to adhere to all of it if it doesn't work for me. Like sodium/sugar, I don't track it at all, it doesn't matter to me, what matters is that I pay attention to what amount of calories makes me feel good, I've found around the 1700-2000 mark makes me feel awesome and in this way MFP doesn't even dictate what I eat because of some numbers I plugged in. I learned that weight fluctuates all day everyday and that since I am fond of weighing in everyday, I should do it at the same time when I wake up and record it, it's something I look forward to it. I learned that this is a huge learning process, and every now and again I need a mental break from calorie counting, but I NEVER, within this last year have forgotten I am losing weight, whether or not my actions reflect that, it's apart of me, it's my new lifestyle and I love it, so just "hang-out" you will regret it if you don't stick around, you deserve it
  • Loopholequeen
    Options
    Definitely don't weigh yourself everyday...you'll drive yourself crazy!! Keep it all in perspective and do it only once a week or every other week. You'll see better results that way and it will help keep you in check!

Everyone has their down days. Don't let it get to you too much. Keep going...you've got this!! :happy:
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist used to tell me, for a woman a 2 lb variation is normal. So don't sweat the little things. I weigh in every day to keep me on track. I try not to beat myself up when I go up or celebrate (too much) when I go down. I'm looking for an over trend over time. Don't let the little ups and downs get to you. As long as, over time, you are losing, your doing great!
  • kimg70
    kimg70 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Right there with you!!
    I really like to weigh myself every morning, however I vowed this morning that I would not step on again until next Friday!
    I find myself getting discouraged every morning, even though I know that PMS is playing a huge factor.

So no more scale for me until next Friday 2/24-which is my first goal date of losing 5#'s!!

We just have to stay strong and focus on the big picture. Good Luck.
  • pb6012002
    Options
    Again thank you all for your advice! It does help knowing people are going through the same thing you are. For some reason I am just having a down day all around and all of it gets too much at times. But you all did make me feel so much better!!!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations in body weight are normal and healthy. It is far more important to focus on FAT loss than weight loss. Anyone can loose or gain several pounds of water weight. Changes like this don't significantly alter your appearance or improve your health. Fat loss takes consistent, concerted effort, but its worth it!

Just keep working towards your goals and gradually improving your nutrition and increasing exercise!