Getting sick of "Trying it again"

Options
This hasn't worked for me in the past but it was my fault. I need something to reel in how much I eat. If this helps just that then this will be a plus. I'm hoping to be successful with it this time. Doctor's orders!! Feel free to add me as a friend.

Replies

• rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, joined a while ago and still haven't really made much of a change. What it comes down to, you're only stopping yourself. And I realized that. All the tools are here, you just have to apply them to your situation. Good luck, you can do it!
  • tamamommy
    Options
    Me three! I don't want to whine about starting yet again but HERE I AM. I am trying a new approach. I will not feel guilty. I will try my best. The weight won't shed itself. Everyday you get to start over. It's all about choices. Choose yourself.
  • ottersln
    Options
    I am 48 years young and have just made up my mind last year that I am SICK of being obese and not feeling good. In September of last year I watched a program on The Doctor's show about the 17 Day Diet. The author says that we can do anything for 17 days. I have found that to be true! Every 17 days my eating plan changes. I have lost over 40 pounds now in total. MFP helps me to conveniently keep track of calories and calories burned so that I can see if I;'m eating nutritiously and keeping track of my weight gain or loss. The key for me is that, I made up my mind to do something about how I feel and in some aspects how I look. My hubby is pleased with the thinner me and in fact says I am skinny enough for him! LOL I am a grandmother of two wonderful babies (2 year old and 10 month old) and have to be able to keep up with them. I want to be the active grandmother that they will have a stock pile of fun memories with long after I am gone from this earth. I want to avoid heart disease and diabetes and all the other horrible obesity related diseases out there. I pray that if I am diligent in doing my part, God will honor that and do His part in keeping me disease free as I age.

Living a healthier and happier existence is something we have to WANT and want it enough to make the changes to our lifestyle to get it and maintain it. We all get there at different times, but as long as we get there it's okay. Do it for YOU and let your head know that you are in charge and will make the changes necessary to have the health that you deserve and want.

I have a blog that I started a few weeks ago about my health journey. You might find some useful information there. http://ahealthylife4me.wordpress.com/
  • LocsNSoul
    Options
    I agree with you guys that starting over and over gets old, so I've made a paradigm shift in my regimen and thinking and I've decided to take baby steps and celebrate the 1-2lbs I lose as I go along. ANY loss is loss to me and that makes me excited and enthused about working to lose more without over-doing it with too much exercise and crazy diets and experiencing "burn out" so quickly! I encourage you guys to stay in this battle of the bulge! You will be successful and you will be the one that wins in the end!

Peace
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • alorick
    alorick Posts: 194
    Options
    Oh, how I've been there. I think you just have to hit that place where you say, "enough is enough."

I've watched most of my close friends lose weight in past year. Some have done it the healthy way, but most have done HCG or something similar, which I don't agree with. Basically, I can't put up with my friends being hotter than me, LOL.

You can do this. Tell yourself that you have to do it. Every time you pick up something to eat that you know you shouldn't, put it back down and ask yourself if it's worth it. Walk away for 5 minutes. If you really, really still want/need it, have it. But remember you'll have to work even harder to burn it off. :)
  • jesscaponigro
    jesscaponigro Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It is something you need to want to do. If you don't want to do it, it won't happen. Last year at this time I was losing weight because I was getting married, now I'm losing the weight and eating better because I want to be healthy, I saw all of the positive side effects. Since I joined this website in November I have lost 15 pounds, prior to this I was down 35. I find that this has been a great community of people wanting the same thing and when you utilize it to the maximum extent you will see results too.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    There is no "trying" only "doing". You can do this. Will it be easy? Nope! But it isn't all that hard either. Do as much of your own cooking as you can, look at websites like www.skinnytaste.com and www.cookinglight.com for healthier meal ideas and recipes. Take this one day at a time, it's not a diet, it's changing your lifestyle. Changing your eating habits and adding exercise if you don't already exercise. It's changing the way you think about food. Measure all your portions, invest in a food scale. Believe me, if I can do this (and I am!!) you can do this!!
  • KittyMerlot
    Options
    For 2 years I have kept off my 39 lb loss with my mental menu filled with the food that works. I joined this site because my successful daughter also has been successful, too. We began together 2 years ago and both have kept 99.99% of our weight off...give or take 1 or 2 lbs. So, being is differents geographical states now, miles away, we are supporting each other by this public site :) I hope I am influenced by all of you and I hope I can influence some of you. I post my honest meal diary (I began on Feb 16th,'12) and I hope it gives some ideas to any of you :) Thank you...Happy Choices!!
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :-)
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am on my second attempt as well. Did the exact same thing last year and didn't stick with it :(

This time I am giving MFP a chance and I feel that I can do it better this way.

Feel free to add me :)
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean--I've been there! You can stick with it this time and you'll do great. I'm from MA too, BTW!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    There is no "trying" only "doing".

I agree with this...stop "trying" and start "doing". If you want it bad enough, you will succeed. This is a great site for success - so welcome, and good luck!
  • sparkie51
    sparkie51 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I tried it "again" in August of 2010 and I have lost 41 lbs. so far. I would like another 10. So what is the difference this time! I am following a complex carb eating plan. I refuse to call it a diet because this is how I CAN eat for ever. I am never hungry because I am eating 6 times a day. Three meals and 2 snacks which works for me. I also walk everyday for 45-60 minutes. It has been a slow steady loss. I had to get it out of my mind that I was going to lose like on the Biggest Loser. It's not happening in real life. I still get discouraged but I take one day at a time. I love food and I eat basically everything but in smaller portions and I stay away from bad carbs for the most part. This site helps me plan when we go out or to family gatherings where eating is the big event.Good luck and keep working at it because it is worth it.
  • TiltingAtWindmills
    Options
    I agree with you guys that starting over and over gets old, so I've made a paradigm shift in my regimen and thinking and I've decided to take baby steps and celebrate the 1-2lbs I lose as I go along. ANY loss is loss to me and that makes me excited and enthused about working to lose more without over-doing it with too much exercise and crazy diets and experiencing "burn out" so quickly! I encourage you guys to stay in this battle of the bulge! You will be successful and you will be the one that wins in the end!

Peace

Exactly! I'd dive in with lofty goals and just go crazy with the diet an exercise, and I'd burn out fast because it wasn't fun. You are correct that taking it easy, using MFP, and celebrating every couple pounds seems to have broken that terrible try-fail-cry-restart cycle. Baby steps are so much more uplifting for me. I hope you find the same joy. Stick with it, remember to congratulate yourself for the small lifestyle changes and weight losses, and you'll be successful. Best wishes!
  • lorriewong
    Options
    I too am starting again, I'm 48 ,female, high blood pressure,diabetic, ms and had a total knee replacement in may 2011, my weight has yoyo'd my entire life and I have had all I can take, so now is my time to take care of me, I know my "HOT" days r behind me but I would love to be comfortable in my own skin oh and my jeans lol. I have always put my husband and his cycling schedual first so I never have the time to fit my work out in, well he is just going to have to cycle on my schedual from now on and hopefully by full summer we can cycle together. so heres to getting it going and staying with it no matter what! and maybe with a little encoragement from you all I'll make it:happy:
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Ah, distinctly I remember.... that feeling, ugh!

What is it? What is the spark that makes it happen? I don't know if it can be generalized... All I know is that I tried this over many yeas, sometimes with great enthusiasm, sometimes half-heartedly, on this or that program. Sometimes I would lose some and then lose interest. Sometimes I would lose a lot and keep it off for a half a year, then gain it all back...

I do recall in 2007 or 2008 that I simply gave up, saying I'll never lose it, that I must resign myself to obesity and its attending problems.

And now?

Now the future is as unknown as it ever was. But it's a GREAT DEAL MORE IMAGINABLE that I can make it work from now on out.

Do not despair! "Screw your courage to the sticking place, and we'll not fail".
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    If you have the will to succeed, then you will. No matter the obstacles, if you want it bad enough, then you will make it happen!

Feel free to add me if you like, I don't do babying- I will tell you like it is. But I like helping others, and helping you stay on track!

Good luck to you!
  • pixieq
    pixieq Posts: 16
    Options
    It isn't really "trying it again" if you try something new or in a different way. You just have to find what works for you. Whatever you are doing, the tools here can help. Just keeping a food diary has shown me how many calories I was getting from snacky things and nibbly bit. What a rude awakening that was!

Just don't quit looking for what works for you.

Never give up! Never surrender!