I NEED SOUTH BEACH DIET RECIPES!!

Options
andreasoulcastle
andreasoulcastle Posts: 478 Member
Hello all

My boyfriend and I just started phase 1 of the south beach diet, so we are not really eating any starches or fruits at this point. We are doing well so far, but I am starting to see that this can get real boring real fast.

If there is anyone out there that has done this diet or is doing this diet please give us your input...any recipes that you have or websites that you know of, books that you recommend, tips or advice that you have would be appreciated.

This is the first time that we are both doing this TOGETHER so I am looking forward to some weight loss.

Andrea

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I don't know anything about this diet or any recipes. Have you tried Google?
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    http://tinyurl.com/3zv2zr8

Also your caps key seems to be broken.
  • andreasoulcastle
    Options
    http://tinyurl.com/3zv2zr8

Also your caps key seems to be broken.

What does this mean?
  • andreasoulcastle
    Options
    WOW great sense of community and support, of course I have tried Google but I am also using myfitnesspal.com as an additional resource. Can Google really give me feed back on what tasted or can give me tips on trial and error? Thx for nothing...SMH
  • andreasoulcastle
    Options

Thank you Alley for not making me feel like a total idiot! I am actually trying to find some help, phase 1 is kicking my butt.
  • superval1977
    Options
    I recently tried a recipe I found in an Atkins cookbook that was delicious! I'm not a fan of spinach, but this was amazing...the kids even liked it! Good luck :)

http://www.atkins.com/Recipes/ShowRecipe316/Manhattan-Style-Creamed-Spinach.aspx
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have really been enjoying cauliflower rice - here is how I make it (recipe given my a MFP friend):

Use a cheese grater and grate 1 cup of cauliflower (microwave - no water - for 2 minutes)
    Grate or dice 1 cup of broccoli or zucchini (I do zucchini because I don't care of broccoli) and sauté in cooking spray for 2-3 minutes
    Add the cauliflower and sauté for another 2-3 minutes
    Add 1/4 c eggbeater and cook until done

I then add either 2 tbl bbq sauce OR 1/8 cup of spaghetti sauce

I will also sometimes dice chicken and add it to the mixture or just eat it on the side as a side dish.

Hope it helps...
  • TripMom
    TripMom Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I've done SBD several times. My go-to place for recipes is this site:
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-recipes-114/

It is a great community that posts some really good recipes. I love the refried bean soup recipe there!
    Good luck!
    TripMom
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I would recommend ANY of their cookbooks. I have 4 of them and love all of the recipes I've made (except one). Try searching in the recipes section and see what you get.
  • andreasoulcastle
    Options
    Thanks guys I will take a note of all of these
  • superval1977
    Options
    I have really been enjoying cauliflower rice - here is how I make it (recipe given my a MFP friend):

Use a cheese grater and grate 1 cup of cauliflower (microwave - no water - for 2 minutes)
    Grate or dice 1 cup of broccoli or zucchini (I do zucchini because I don't care of broccoli) and sauté in cooking spray for 2-3 minutes
    Add the cauliflower and sauté for another 2-3 minutes
    Add 1/4 c eggbeater and cook until done

I then add either 2 tbl bbq sauce OR 1/8 cup of spaghetti sauce

I will also sometimes dice chicken and add it to the mixture or just eat it on the side as a side dish.

Hope it helps...

That sounds delicious, think I'll try it tomorrow! Thanks :)
  • andreasoulcastle
    Options
    we brainstormed a bunch of menu items from these websites that we visited thank you everyone! will go grocery shopping today and try some of these out YUMMM!
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Atkins success story here but I can tell you that I have adopted a lot of SB principles also. Since I am so close to goal now I have to watch calories too. I just choose leaner meats and I use reduced fat cheeses. I can tell you that if you tweak the recipes a little you will be amazed at what you can do .

Google
    Linda's Low Carb Recipes.

Her site will come up and ...be prepared to spend a lot of time on there.

Her recipes are all SB friendly if you sub the full fat items for reduced fat.

good luck and just remember to take this one day at a time.

Low carb works if you work it right and follow the phases.

Like any way of eating ...if you go back to the way you got this way you'll gain it back.

It's a life long way of eating. But the good news is that the most restrictive phases are only in the beginning.

God Bless
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Made this last night (adding 1/2 pound lean ground round) and we loved it!

VEGETABLE MOUSSAKA (South Beach-phase 1) makes 4 servings
    from South Beach Diet SUPERCHARGED

LENTILS provide protein, fiber and rich meaty taste!

1 large eggplant, cut in 1/4" rounds 1 tsp dried oregano
    2 tsp extra virgin olive oil 1/4 tsp cinnamon (I used 1/2 tsp)
    1 large onion, chopped 1/4 tsp salt (didn't use it; used lemon juice instead)
    4 garlic cloves, minced freshly ground black pepper
    1 15 oz can lentils, drained (I use Westbrae) 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
    1 can diced tomatoes w/juices (I use no salt added) 2 large eggs
    1/4 cup chopped parsley 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
    HEAT oven to 425F
    Lightly coat eggplant slices with cooking spray (I used Olive Oil), arrange on a baking sheet and bake until softened and golden, about 20-25 minutes ...Remove and reduce heat to 350 F.
    MEANWHILE, in large saucepan heat oil over medium heat, add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. ADD lentils. tomatoes, parsley. oregano, cinnamon, (salt) and pinch of pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes.
    WHILE all are cooking, using a medium bowl
    whisk together half-and-half, eggs, 2 TBSP of the cheese, and nutmeg.
    LIGHTLY COAT 8x8" baking dish with cooking spray, ARRANGE 1/3 eggplant slices in single layer at bottom. Spread 1/2 the lentil mixture over the top. Add another 1/3 eggplant slices over this and then the rest of the lentil mixture . Add the rest of the eggplant over the top.
    POUR half-and-half mixture over vegetables, SPRINKLE with remaining Parmesan. Cover with aluminum foil
    BAKE, covered, 20 minutes; remove foil and bake 10-15 minutes longer until heated through and golden on top.
    LET STAND another 15 minutes before cutting; serve warm

Nutritional values: per serving (4)
    Calories 230
    Fat 7 gr
    Sat fat 2 gr
    carbs 30 gr
    fiber 12 gr
    Sodium 296 gr (mine was much lower using no salt added or reduuced ssodium)
    Protein 14 gr

NOTE: I added 1/2 pound of 97/3 ground round (or use lamb, ground) along with the onions and garlic, for appeasing my husband, and it was delicious! Just add the nutritional values divided by 4!

Can be made ahead and frozen; just double or triple the recipe. Cut Moussaka into portions before freezing up to 3 months.
    When ready to eat, thaw at room temperature, reheat in microwave or toaster oven.

cooked, tasted and approved by
    Buzz

And here's a dessert for Phase 1

Coconut-Almond Macaroons (Phase 1)

Description
    Almonds add vitamin E, riboflavin, and magnesium to these delicious flourless cookies. For additional filling protein, enjoy the macaroons with a glass of fat-free or 1% milk. On Phase 2, drizzle them with a little melted dark chocolate!

Makes 8 servings (3 macaroons each)

Hands-on time: 10 minutes
    Total time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
    3 ounces slivered almonds (generous 2/3 cup)
    1 1/4 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
    1/2 cup granular sugar substitute
    Generous pinch salt
    1/4 cup nonfat (0%) plain Greek yogurt
    1 large egg white
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions
    Heat the oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick liner.

In a mini food processor, pulse the almonds just until ground. Transfer to a medium bowl and add the coconut, sugar substitute, and salt, stirring to combine. Stir in the yogurt, egg white, and vanilla.

Pinch off pieces of dough the size of small walnuts and form into rough balls. Place the balls 2" apart on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and set. Let cool on the baking sheet.

Nutritional information
    Per macaroon:
    50 calories
    4 g fat (2 g sat)
    1 g protein
    2 g carbohydrate
    1 g fiber
    17 mg sodium

There should be 1 forum for those following South Beach diet (another for recipes) so we can support one another!
    Buzz
  • cynraelene
    cynraelene Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You could get the book entitled "Good Fats,Good Carbs Guide" and adjust just about any recipe to fit the South Beach Diet like if the recipe calls for 4 potatoes use 4 sweet potatoes instead (sweet potatoes are allowed on South Beach Diet). I have several cookbooks and my favorite recipe is homemade Teriyaki sauce that I use for stir fries and another favorite is homemade mayo you can make in the blender without sugar (if you look on the label there's sugar in mayo). If you find phase 1 is too strict you can always start on phase 2.
  • KandyKnd
    KandyKnd Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I lost on the South Beach several years ago and am thinking about going back on it again but want to use the My Fitness pal app to track it - even though I never counted calories on it before. Do you track everything on Fitness Pal using South Beach?
  • ford8709
    ford8709 Posts: 140
    Options
    Bump