Need help for nutritious food

Options
Hi Guys,

I feel that I am under-nourished. Whenever I am in the gym or in the treadmill I feel dizzy and feel I'll go unconscious. So i'll have to take break every 10 minutes so that I dont fall down.

I generally goto the gym in the early evening at about 4 PM. I am a vegeterian. I would have had cereal breakfast in the morning, orange juice in the mid morning and 3 chapatis( indian bread) and lentil soup at about 1 PM. I feel this is sufficient for my body since I dont want to eat too much.

What is your take on this? Please help me on this issue!
Thanks!

Replies

• shachic
    shachic Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I feel that I am under-nourished. Whenever I am in the gym or in the treadmill I feel dizzy and feel I'll go unconscious. So i'll have to take break every 10 minutes so that I dont fall down.

I generally goto the gym in the early evening at about 4 PM. I am a vegeterian. I would have had cereal breakfast in the morning, orange juice in the mid morning and 3 chapatis( indian bread) and lentil soup at about 1 PM. I feel this is sufficient for my body since I dont want to eat too much.

What is your take on this? Please help me on this issue!
    Thanks!
  • kmg748
    kmg748 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Eat a piece of fruit before you go to the gym and string cheese.
  • K.Ann
    K.Ann Posts: 37
    Options
    Are you counting your calories? You probably are not eating enough especially before you work out. I always eat a little something with complex carbs or protein before I work out or else I will be to hungry to focus or get dizzy also. You probably aren't eating enough protein or something but Im no expert. If I were you I would have a snack right before working out and it should help a bunch. Try some whole grain cereal or oatmeal, I'm sure that would do the trick!
  • shachic
    Options
    yeah, I keep a track of calories and my diet intake. I had read somewhere that you should not eat atleast 2 hours before exercising.
    Since I am a vegeterian, there are very less food with proteins (than carbohydrates). The max protein diet I can have is beans, which has 9 gram and tofu or soy milk. Could anybody suggest food with more protein?
  • braydoherty
    Options
    tofu, tempeh, setian

try sauteeing tofu, brown rice, and kale for a well rounded meal.

Tempeh has it's variety as well, pair it with some hummus on a sandwich

Nuts and seeds are sources of protein as well. Toss them in a mixed green salad with some chick peas.

try looking online for some recipies or ideas. For starters, I found

http://vegweb.com/

Best of luck to you!
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Be sure your sipping WATER: BEFORE, DURING, AFTER workout, maybe mix in a little bit of a sports drink in your water as well.
    A great snack before and after a workout is a banana and peanut butter sandwich. Two slices of whole wheat bread, 1-2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter and a small/medium banana. Eat half of the sandwich 30-90 minutes before exercise and the other half about 15-45 minutes after your workout. You get carbs, protein and fat to fuel and replenish your body. Or a couple handfuls of a trail mix with nuts and raisens.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Would nuts work for you? I eat a Puffed Kamut cake that has been sweetened with agave nectar 2 of them are only 60 calories with a little peanut butter. But raw almonds or something might be good too.

I would definately eat something though it sounds like your body is asking for something more.
  • shachic
    Options
    @ eve23, srb2000, braydoherty, K.Ann, kmg748
    Thanks a lot for the support guys!
    I really appreciate your help! :smile:
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    all i know olive garden sux !!!!!!!!! wasted all calories at lunch i am starving:mad:
  • hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Pistacios!
    Add chopped walnuts or slivered almonds to salad.
    Low-sugar Peanut butter.

More importantly, talk to your doctor about it.
    Drink lots of water and make sure you are getting the right vitamins.
    I found out I was passing out during workouts because i was anemic and dehydrated even though I was taking a multivitamin and drinking tons of water. Go figure.
  • heavenluv
    heavenluv Posts: 12
    Options
    My son decided one day that he wasn't going to eat meat and as his mom I accepted that but he was only 13 and I had to make sure he was going to be healthy on this journy. HE WAS Over weight when he started. I want to the store and bought Boca products. I found that most of the products have anywere from 10grms to16 grms of protien per serving than I added fresh fruits and veggies added chik peas, fava beans ect to his salads. I also bought him dried fruits. Hope this might help.:flowerforyou:
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    shachic,

First of all, if you are making your caloric requiremetns, I would have a blood test done. You are likely deficient on iron. Many vegitatirans are and even those who are not vegitarians, dieters can have the same problem.... becasue we cut out high calorie items, many of which have the highest concentration of iron. An iron supplement may be all you need.

That said, I would fit in a handful of almonds an hour before your workout. It will give you a (good) fat , energy boost ..

best of luck!

ileana
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I agree sound like you might not be eating enough,,,lack of iron etc?
    I would consider bumping up your cals and/or eating more protein in any form you can get.....nuts, tofu etc etc
    I don't think it would be a bad idea to talk to a Dr and get some routine b/w, just to make sure all is ok

Kim
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I actually think it sounds like you are dehydrated. I used to have this same issue. You need to make sure are drinking 2-3 glasses of water BEFORE you work out.... say within an hour, and have water on hand while you excercise. Also you need it after you excercise. You sweat when you excercise so you are losing valuable water that needs to be replaced.