Tips for when your spouse doesnt need to lose!

Options
My husband is 5'10" and 145lbs. Being in the military, he does A LOT of Physical Training, and needs quite a bit of calories to offset his very physically demanding job.

Problem is, I have 140lbs to lose! Any tips on how to get him the food he needs, while being diligent in my calorie counting?

Replies

• SFalconStorm
    SFalconStorm Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The best advice I could give is to provide him a higher calorie item at shared meals that you don't eat...like buttered bread or something like that. Larger portions for him would work as well, if he can eat them. My husband is small too and has a small stomach. He just doesn't eat that much, which is probably why he's as small as he is.

Hubby may also need to snack more to support his metabolism. Keep healthy but higher calorie snacks on hand for him to munch on.
  • woodmetal
    Options
    Hi!! Well here goes don't know if it will help.... My new husband could lose ten pounds but has a higher metabolism and is not motivated... I am toning and firming and not losing as I had hoped but small gains first!

I use a lunch plate!! That has helped the most because my plate looks full and is plenty calorie wise for me.

I cook healthy foods and everyone has to eat that! I am not a short order cook. They all need healthy so it will not hurt them to eat beans, chicken and lean meats, and veggies.I do cook fairly large portions- my 15 yr old son eats a lot- and he could lose some too.

And I discovered the web site Skinny Taste for all sorts of dinner recipes and Chocolate covered Kate for desserts!!

Good luck! I grew up in the military,my ex husband was military, my daughter is an army bride!

Kim
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't need to restrict his calories, either. I eat smaller portions of the main dish and fill in with veggies and fruit. I don't usually eat bread with my meals, though I make it for the rest of my family. I make sure I don't drink my calories. He snacks a LOT :laugh:
  • bailamulata
    Options
    Hope this helps... but always have a protein, two veggies, and 1 starch and to his meals add an extra serving or 2 of protein and extra starch... for your plate do your 1 protein, add an extra serving of veggies, and reduce your starch portion to about half. It's hard... when my cholesterol went up the roof... my husband was able to eat cheeseburgers and it was so depressing to see my plate with all this lettuce and plain sesame sprinkled tofu... good luck..... just don't give up!
  • Kayla165
    Kayla165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My husband is '5'6 160lb and in great physical condition. He is all muscle and has only 2% body fat according to our doctor. He is a tow truck driver and a mechanic so he is very active always on his feet and always hungry. The only meal the whole family eats together is dinner. So I make a meal for my husband and the kids and I make myself a healthier meal. I can not force my diet onto my husband he needs all the calories he can get.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    In my opinion there is no 'silver bullet' answer for this. My X and I were on VERY different diets (I'm Paleo and she likes cookies for dinner). The only advice I can give you is to eat clean - which wouldn't hurt either of you - and allow for his higher caloric requirements by cooking a higher cal but still clean food like sweet potatoes or something to supplement. Is he taking any kind of protein supplements?
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    Bumping for ideas... My BF is 5'10" and between 135-140... : /
  • arnie900
    arnie900 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and my fiance isn't, so I'm used to making two separate meals. But, for the wedding, he's trying to gain weight and I'm trying to lose. So we still eat dinner together, and I want him to still eat healthy, so I give him veggies and healthy protein like chicken breast, but he gets waaaay more carbs than I do, like rice/potato/pasta/bread. So I eat much smaller portions, tofu instead of chicken, more veggies, less or no carbs. That way we're still eating healthy, but portions that are right for our goals. And for lunch, I'm eating low-calorie, homemade soup, but he's taking piles of pasta. I still sneak in some fruit in his lunch box though! When you're out to eat, make sure you go somewhere that has healthy options and smaller portions for you and larger portions or a more hearty option for him, or share one large dish. Good luck!
  • KLDunford
    Options
    My husband is 5'10" and 145lbs. Being in the military, he does A LOT of Physical Training, and needs quite a bit of calories to offset his very physically demanding job.

Problem is, I have 140lbs to lose! Any tips on how to get him the food he needs, while being diligent in my calorie counting?

I totally understand! My husband is military & with him working out the way he does, he eats me out of house & home. It's very hard watching him eat all the food he does... Sometimes I think it's not fair.

We eat the same meals, but I make sure I looks at nutrition facts online on foods or spend extra time thinking about the calories & if I happen to have a high calorie meal I workout to burn at least half of it.. We eat a lot of chicken & salad that's for sure. Low calorie snacks help.

If I know I'm going to go over, I try to eat no more then 300 calories over.
  • MoLove2025
    MoLove2025 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is smaller and has a high metabolism.....he's trying to gain weight. He loves southern food and i do to so to cope i make healthier choices but add in a southern style food every once in awhile just for him. He complains about some of the things i eat but i tell him i want you healthy like me and your not cooking so stop complaining.

I tend to make his plate much larger than mine, but were still eating the same things
  • CNG223
    CNG223 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm also a military spouse with a husband who is in great physical condition. I do like many commenters have said, I cook healthier and alot myself smaller portions. If we grill out on the weekend, I cut my steak in half and double up on veggies instead.
    I still buy him all of his favorite snacks...I just force myself to stay away from them. I buy plenty of fruits and veggies for myself to snack on. I have noticed though, he has cut back on a lot of his unhealthy snacks and opted for whatever I'm snacking on a good bit of the time. Although, he doesn't need to lose any weight or bulk up, he feels better...though there are some recipes he misses. :)
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options

sounds just like me my husband is fit and in the navy and i have 130 tolose
  • alorick
    alorick Posts: 194
    Options
    I prepare most of my meals on Sunday. I but up chicken breast and lean beef. I measure it out into 4 oz portions and cook each portion, then put it in a snack bag and throw them in the freezer. I cut up most of my vegetables so that they're always readily available. If I don't do this, I'll end up not feeling like cooking my healthy lunch and eat something not so good for me. I just cook normally for the rest of the family. I don't really cook unhealthy for them anyway, but it's convenient having my food already prepared.
  • WanderingMe
    WanderingMe Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the amazing ideas guys! I really appreciate it!
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I made my healthy transition by involving him in it as much as possible. I am still working on it, but I'm trying to make him responsible for his healthy eating as well. Making it a family lifestyle change will benefit in the long-run. He can help you along, and you can help him. You can help make him aware of the food choices he needs to meet his requirements. We generally eat the same thing for dinner, but he is responsible for himself during the day while I'm at work, and must fill in his extra holes and nutritional needs there.