P90X vs. Insanity??

Options
Hey!

I'm looking for a great workout DVD to buy that's NOT THAT EXPENSIVE! :wink:

DO you recommend P90X or Insanity? I've heard BOTH are great!!

Replies

• mofireman
    Options
    Well I've completed a 90 day run with p90x. The workouts combined with better eating habits allowed me to lose 30 pounds by the end of the 90 days. I went from 230 down to 200 pounds. Right now I am doing the Insanity program and am on Day 12. Insanity is truly just that!!! It's insane!!!

For most folks, I'd recommend a round of p90x prior to even considering doing Insanity. Insanity is REALLY hard. I found my Insanity on CL for $65, about half of what it costs on-line....Good luck!!
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I liked P90X better because it was more well-rounded- weights and cardio. Insanity was only cardio and I felt like I was losing muscle mass. Both are great programs though- and if you use the diet plan (I didn't) you'll lose even more and see better results.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Depends on if you're more into weight lifting with your cardio or just straight Plyo/cardio/body resistance.
    Insanity has no weights, but trust me, it earned its name and if you're not very well versed in making moves easier so you don't hurt yourself...there are no people demonstrating how to break it down.

P90X, I *think* has the different levels of fitness demonstrated. I might start there if you don't mind the equipment you'll need (pull up bar, weights, etc).

Honestly, either one is gonna kick @$$.

ET: I can't type.
  • jhebert87
    Options
    I have Insanity and absolutly love it... they are fast work outs that totally kick my butt... Like others have posted Insanity is just a cardio work out so it depends on what you are looking for in a workout... it also has a 30 day guarentee so if you are not happy with it just send it back, but it definatly works.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I liked P90X better because it was more well-rounded- weights and cardio. Insanity was only cardio and I felt like I was losing muscle mass. Both are great programs though- and if you use the diet plan (I didn't) you'll lose even more and see better results.
    This^^ I've done both, but prefer the P90x.
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to P90X, but my sister-in-law is getting great results with Insanity. Since you're looking for something not expensive, I would recommend Insanity since it just uses body weight. P90X requires bands at the least, but you can also get weights, pull up bar, yoga mat....
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    I'm definitely a bigger fan of P90x, I agree that it's a more well-rounded program.
  • iNeiceyMtz
    iNeiceyMtz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! Im a wellness coach, and we have both at our shop... if your trying to loose weight I would say stick to cardio once you get to your ideal weight ... I would suggest Insanity! Awesome workout... look into Turbo Fire its fast and it has good music. Remember Abs are made in the kitchen not in the gym! 70% diet 30% gym!!
  • jreese5226
    jreese5226 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I too have done both but like P90X better than Insanity. Insanity is great for burning fat, but P90X is better for me for overall fitness and strength. I am currently doing another round of P90X. Good luck!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I'm looking for a great workout DVD to buy that's NOT THAT EXPENSIVE! :wink:

DO you recommend P90X or Insanity? I've heard BOTH are great!!
    If you are considering both of these, at least give Rushfit a look: http://www.gsprushfit.com/

There are some reviews online you can find. It's cheaper than P90X, you don't have to buy as much equipment, and there is ZERO upsell. No shakes, no commercials, no spam. P90X is great, Insanity is good too. I think Rushfit is better than both for me.
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    here are some free work outs http://www.facebook.com/theprivatefitnessclub
  • freeasharold
    freeasharold Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am two weeks into Turbofire and I like it alot. It is cardio based and easier to pick up than insanity. Also an amazing workout!
  • msjessae
    Options
    It depends on you!

Break down:

1. INTENSITY
    Insanity is generally more intense as it works a lot with your cardio; Shaun T also challenges you. P90X has more breaks but the strength training is more present

2. TIME
    Insanity tends to last shorter, while p90x workouts tend to be longer. I personally found P90X great until I got bored within the 40th day.
    Also, Insanity lasts 60 days while p90X is 90. so

3. PUSHING IT
    Insanity = short bursts of crazy moves ; P90X = form and rep-focused

4. MOTIVATION
    Shaun T challenges you and so does Tony Horton, but I found having more back-up workout buddies helped me push more.
    All in all, there's a masochistic mentality you've gotta adopt. Pain is Pleasure :)

I personally like Insanity better
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have completed one round of P90X and absolutely loved it!! The results were amazing...okay, I was not massivley lighter on the scales but LOOKED much better - more toned, stronger and leaner. It does take a lot of commitment (not to mention a big chunk out of your day!) but it's SO worth it!!

I'm currently on Day 44 of Insanity....hate the damn thing!! There is no denying it's a killer workout - and I have no doubt that I will be fitter and have more stamina after the 60 days - but I do not enjoy the workouts at all and the results I am seeing so far are not really that noticable (for the effort it requires anyway!) ....All that's happening is I can't lift any decent weights anymore!!

Oh - and for all those who say you need equipment for P90X and not for Insanity...annoys me a little - because while true on the surface (in that you don't have to purchase weights/pull up bar etc) - you need a room the size of a sports hall to do some of the max interval Insanity workouts effectivley which you don't for P90x....so a new house costs more than some weights and a pull up bar! :laugh:

Seriously though - either workout is well worth your commitment and I bet you will get people who will root for both workout programs! Why not try a hybrid if you can't decide!? Good luck!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Insanity is more cardio based for jacking up your heart rate with interval training.

P90X is more strength training based and building up an overall level of fitness using weights and/or bands.

Both utilize body weight to an effect.

P90X has an advantage at strengthening biceps and back with the amount of various pull ups.

Insanity has an advantage at strengthening chest and triceps with the amount of various push ups.

P90X is a 90 day program.

Insanity is a 60 day program.

Both are good in their own way.
  • Monroe121
    Monroe121 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    It depends on you!

Break down:

1. INTENSITY
    Insanity is generally more intense as it works a lot with your cardio; Shaun T also challenges you. P90X has more breaks but the strength training is more present

2. TIME
    Insanity tends to last shorter, while p90x workouts tend to be longer. I personally found P90X great until I got bored within the 40th day.
    Also, Insanity lasts 60 days while p90X is 90. so

3. PUSHING IT
    Insanity = short bursts of crazy moves ; P90X = form and rep-focused

4. MOTIVATION
    Shaun T challenges you and so does Tony Horton, but I found having more back-up workout buddies helped me push more.
    All in all, there's a masochistic mentality you've gotta adopt. Pain is Pleasure :)

I personally like Insanity better

Thank you for the break down! It really helped!
  • Monroe121
    Monroe121 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    YOU GUYS!!! Thank you for all of the information!! That's amazing!! I appreciate everything you said!!
  • hhamada
    Options
    I also have done both P90X and Insanity. Both are great programs but I prefer P90X because it is more well-rounded. I think its better as a long term fitness program. I have done multiple rounds of P90X, P90X Plus, and am currently doing P90X2. I don't think I'll do another full round of Insanity but I have taken individual Insanity workouts to supplement P90X2 when I need to burn extra calories..
  • alpha2omega
    alpha2omega Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    +1 for P90X!
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    since your looking at losing 36lbs, then i'm recommending the insanity where it is about plyo, burpees and core work. Then do the p90x "lean" program the next where it is centric about body weight training, and still has some plyo and core work. After that you can now have the feel and most likely able to decide if you will do another round of insanity or p90x or mix and match them....