how to resist the temptation of chocolate and such?

Options
when i see something in the fridge that i really like and has a big amount of calories,i just can't resist it and i end up eating it.i also want to know if exercising really helps.like,is it ok to eat more calories that you're supposed to,but then burn them by exercising?

Replies

• TiltingAtWindmills
    Options
    I'm a chocolate addict, so I suffer that temptation all the time. Everyone is different, but for me, the key was moderation. If I cut out things I love, my diet feels like unending punishment and I inevitably fail. Now I'm careful about portions, and have just a little. I've also made myself "earn" the unhealthy snack I crave by using only my exercise calories for them. Earning that single serving of pretzel m&ms makes me feel less guilty when I indulge. Plus, my portioning is better because I know I need to stick to a limit. Hope this helps.
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    yeah,the problem is,it doesn't help to make portions because i will almost always eat more than actually wanted to.
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    Possibly the easiest answer is to not have it in the fridge until you can do moderation in portions, also if you have to walk to the shop to get the chocolate, at least you got some exercise for it :smile:

If you're exercising though, you do need more calories, so, yes, you could have the food so long as you exercise to cover it.

The other thing to think about, is, if it's something you've made, is there a way to make it healthier? Less saturated fat or more veggies? I know this doesn't work with chocolate - the easiest thing there is definitely not to have it in!!
  • andiimarie
    andiimarie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The way I have been tackling my problem with sweets is I just don't keep them readily accessible. I will keep some light or low fat treats in the house, but anything that I know I could go out of control with I just don't bring home. I haven't cut sweets completely out of my diet, I just don't allow myself to binge like I used to. Also, since I have been religiously tracking my food for a while, it has become easier for me to look at the calories in a small piece of chocolate and say to myself, "You know, it just isn't worth it." This has taken a long time for me to learn, but it is finally starting to click. I will say that I still have a hard time at parties or when food is brought to work, but because I control my consumption at home, an occasional splurge at a party or work doesn't completely spoil my progress.

Good luck!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I'm a chocolate addict, so I suffer that temptation all the time. Everyone is different, but for me, the key was moderation. If I cut out things I love, my diet feels like unending punishment and I inevitably fail. Now I'm careful about portions, and have just a little. I've also made myself "earn" the unhealthy snack I crave by using only my exercise calories for them. Earning that single serving of pretzel m&ms makes me feel less guilty when I indulge. Plus, my portioning is better because I know I need to stick to a limit. Hope this helps.

^^ THIS

I earn my treats by exercising and only eat them in moderation. BUT I have also found some snacks with chocolate that have less calories than lets say a candy bar or ice cream. I love Skinny Cow Ice Cream treats (100 - 150 cals) and I have heard they also make chocolate candies. Or FiberOne bars, which are like chewy granola bars with chocolate, mocha, peanut butter drizzle on them (150 cals).
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    the thing is i don't buy the food that i eat,my mom does and no matter how many times i tell her not to buy chocolate and stuff like that,she keeps on doing it.there's nothing i can do about what's in my fridge as long as i live with my parents.
    also,i live in serbia and here we don't have many of those tasty low calorie products.we only have like low calorie milk,yogurt and cheese.
  • pixieq
    pixieq Posts: 16
    Options
    I tend to throw my husband under the bus. I make him eat them.

Occasionally, if I have been good, I will reward myself with a Kiss (or three).