Knees hurt during workout

Options
I was wondering if anyone has this problem. I do alot of squats with weights and I notice that my knees kill especially in the beginning of my workout, after I'm warmed up, it doesn't hurt as much. But the next day they feel sore around the knee caps, especially when I wear heels. It hurts most when I'm goin up and down stairs.
Anyone have any ideas to why this is? I feel I have good form during my workouts, I'm thinking because of my weight (181, 5'7)

Replies

• lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Maybe your knees are going over your toes when you're working out. I notice this when I do turbo jam and have not been paying attention to my form. Also, I used to notice this when I would do step aerobics and learned that it was because I wasn't placing my entire foot on the step (only my toes). When doing squats make sure your knees are above your heels and going in the same direction as your toes (not facing in). Also if you do lunges, just don't go as far down if it is too hard on your knees.

I hope this helps.
  • angelapolite
    Options
    Maybe your knees are going over your toes when you're working out. I notice this when I do turbo jam and have not been paying attention to my form. Also, I used to notice this when I would do step aerobics and learned that it was because I wasn't placing my entire foot on the step (only my toes). When doing squats make sure your knees are above your heels and going in the same direction as your toes (not facing in). Also if you do lunges, just don't go as far down if it is too hard on your knees.

I hope this helps.

Thanks! Yes, I do make sure that I have proper form. I'm not new to doing squats, and in the past years (being younger and weighed less) I never had a problem. But now I feel like it's become an issue.
  • Dulceman
    Dulceman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you done proper stretching. I know that when I started to stretch my knee pain gradually went away.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're using proper form!!! And stretch!!

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-with-proper-technique-fix-common-problems/
  • angelapolite
    Options
    Have you done proper stretching. I know that when I started to stretch my knee pain gradually went away.

I can do more of pre workout stretching, thanks!
  • angelapolite
    Options

Thanks for the link!
  • Crossfitchrisd
    Options
    Are you reaching full depth in the squat? Hip crease below the knees? Your knees are pointed out in the direction of your toes not straight ahead?
  • lovinmysoldier
    lovinmysoldier Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    When I started running my knees would hurt, I added cycling and it made a world of difference. From what I understand it helps to build the muscles that support the knee without the impact.

Just a thought.
  • angelapolite
    Options
    When I started running my knees would hurt, I added cycling and it made a world of difference. From what I understand it helps to build the muscles that support the knee without the impact.

Just a thought.

I agree, I feel that maybe my muscles aren't strong yet for the intensity of my workouts. I'm trying to just work through the pain.
  • angelapolite
    Options
    Are you reaching full depth in the squat? Hip crease below the knees? Your knees are pointed out in the direction of your toes not straight ahead?

Yes, I feel that I have good form. In the DVD's I'm using, they talk about form throughout the workout. I think I'm not strong enough yet for the type of workout I'm doing, which is Les Mills Pump. There's alot of weight lifting.
  • KCharron20
    Options
    It's funny that you mention that. I am going through the same exact thing. I had trouble going down the stairs, but could do lunges with no trouble. Luckily, my trainer is interning at a division 1 school for football and was able to pick a sports doctors brain and he said it's probably tendonitis. This is what he had me do to test it: You probably do squats the same way I was taught - with your feet spread shoulder width apart. Try spreading your feet quite a bit further apart and then do your squat and don't go quite as deep. For me this doesn't hurt - which confirms it's tendonitis. Believe it or not what he says I need to do is to build up my glutes and always make sure to do my full warm up routine. Good Luck!
  • angelapolite
    Options
    It's funny that you mention that. I am going through the same exact thing. I had trouble going down the stairs, but could do lunges with no trouble. Luckily, my trainer is interning at a division 1 school for football and was able to pick a sports doctors brain and he said it's probably tendonitis. This is what he had me do to test it: You probably do squats the same way I was taught - with your feet spread shoulder width apart. Try spreading your feet quite a bit further apart and then do your squat and don't go quite as deep. For me this doesn't hurt - which confirms it's tendonitis. Believe it or not what he says I need to do is to build up my glutes and always make sure to do my full warm up routine. Good Luck!

Wow, I really hope it's not that! lol
    I do squats both ways you described, and it with doing a wider squat it doesn't hurt as much and according to the workout, this puts less stress on the lower back, which another issue I have. I'll have to try warming up more and I think that I'm also sore overall.
    Thanks alot for your imput!
  • Crossfitchrisd
    Options

Yes, I feel that I have good form. In the DVD's I'm using, they talk about form throughout the workout. I think I'm not strong enough yet for the type of workout I'm doing, which is Les Mills Pump. There's alot of weight lifting.

I googled the program saw a sample video and it looks like the instructors don't reach full depth in the squat which means there is excess strain on the knee each and every rep. Here is a great video of exactly how I teach the squat at my gym.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDxInzfU26k
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Also, your shoes may have an affect on your knees. If you're using running shoes, or cross trainers, they may be raised in the heel slightly, forcing your body to lean forward more during your workouts. Strength training workouts should be completed with the flatest shoe possible (or barefoot like the old schoolers used to do).
  • angelapolite
    Options
    Thanks again all for your suggestions!