Plateau driving me crazy!!

Options
I have lost 28kgs in 5 months by eating between 800-1500 calories a day and exercising between 1 - 2.5 hours a day 6 days a week, im 5"1 and now weight 69kgs so i am FAR from my ideal weight but for some reason my weightloss has come to a stand still, i have tried everything....i have switched up my diet and exercise, started eating more, then less, upping the intensity of my workouts, taking supplements and throwing my hands in the air and ALMOST giving upm(not that i will EVER)...i know i have gained a lot of muscle in the last month after starting with a personal trainer and doing tons of abs, squats and push ups and im sure this is contributing to the scales not budging but surely you would think that i would lose more than 1 kg in 5 weeks when i am busting my *kitten* as haard as i am...has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• zippers
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! D:
    I've been in the middle of a plateau since like December and it's driving me nuts. The first 25 pounds always drop off me very fast, but then I hit a wall, the last time this happened I gave up and ended up gaining double the amount of weight back- just hang in there and push through it and you'll start seeing results again soon enough!
  • cdnclovr
    cdnclovr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I so hear you! I just came off a 2.5 month plateau. I went through all the same things you did. What ended up working for me was ditching the treadmill for a week (I did the 30 Day Shred instead) and added Boost with Protein. After 7 days I went back to the treadmill and poof! I finally dropped! It took a lot of experimenting and more patience than a Saint but I stuck with it and thankfully I did. Unfortunately, it's not a one size fits all solution. For me, the only way to lose weight is through cardio so having to go to more weight training type exercises was hard but in the end it paid off.

2.5 hours a day? When was the last time you took a break (longer than a rest day)?

I know you really want to beet the snot out of the scale but hang in there. You are getting better and stronger and for every thing that you try but doesn't work then at least you know it didn't and you can move on to something else.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Eat more, stop cardio, lift heavy. Works for me everytime I hit a plateau.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Well my calorie intake has been a bit higher than yours, but all the rest I could have written myself. I have literally gotten so ridiculously frustrated that I think my scale and I need to break up for a little bit. ITS SO HARD!!! SOOO hard cause like you I know I'm building muscle but I'm still far from a healthy weight. Grrrr. The only thing I can say is that we must push thru it will happen. It must happen!
  • rjsbailey
    rjsbailey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Things that have worked for me in the past- up your calories or change your workout- I found I plateau on all low cal and cardio (even 1+ hours a day) and so I add in strength some days and some days I eat 200-400 more cals then I am "supposed" to. BUT often I have had to stick with that change for a few weeks not assume it isn't working after one week. One time I gained three pounds after adding 3 days of strength training (stayed low cal) but knowing my body I didn't worry- it sure wasn't fat gain :wink: ! Good luck!
  • RooChilders
    RooChilders Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ive been going through this a lot this year!!! I increased my water intake and changed my whole routine this week I am seeing results so hopefully my weigh in on the 23rd is better. Good luck I hope this helps!!!
  • charleighsmum
    Options
    Thanks everyone its nice to know other people go through the same thing....