Replies

• SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: good luck
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    OP, don't try it again. Try it differently.

What I'm trying to say here is that for me, just trying to eat less never worked out. What has worked for me is finding some new (or starting again on old) things to do along with somewhat more mindful eating. I think you have to find something that's sustainable in the long term, for you. For some people, it's simply an issue of diet. For others, it;s a question of finding a new sport, or an exercise you love, or a new gym that's super-cool.

For me, it was getting back on a bike after a decade off of it, and as it turns out, I kind of like to run, too. Whodathunkit?
  • stitchinggirl
    Options
    I haven't read the previous comments, so I may be repeating what you've already heard.

Getting sick of trying it again. What is the alternative to not trying again? Giving up? You deserve better for yourself. As soon as you give up and get complacent with where you are, you're in bigger trouble than you are now!

You have it in you to get this done for yourself and those you love. Dig deep. It's there!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Don't consider it "trying again". Consider it coming back from a break. You took a break, for however long, and now the break is over.
  • Rosiered2
    Rosiered2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think that weight loss always begins in our heads? I do think we need something, whatever that "something" is, to make all sacrifices worth it.....it also helps me to have people who keep me accountable without being my "jailor".....they just offer to work out with me, or suggest a restaurant that they know we can both easily eat at......I think we also need to know our weak points, if I exercise before I leave for work, I will sometimes add a workout at lunch time.....if I don't work out before work, I obsess about it all day, it drags me down, I dread going home and having to do it, etc. Unless I really "CAN'T", I always do mine before work, and my day goes better, I make MUCH better food choices too (after all that sweating and working out, I don't want to waste my effort00I hate working out)
    ALSO, I DO NOT put a bite of food in my mouth until I have logged it in (on my computer or my cell phone). I love that feature about this website. I almost NEVER break that rule.....I can't tell you how many times that I have put a food back because I just wasn't willing to see it put in writing...made it much more real....I also log my exercise BEFORE I DO IT....sounds weird but I can't lie to myself and if I've already counted it in, I feel like I have to do it.
    Get your head wrapped around the excitement of losing weight. I heard someone say on tv, in early January, if you could have anything you wanted in 2012, what would it be??? I instantly thought, "To lose weight"...........and then it hit me....of all the things I could have said, that I absolutely COULD NOT control, like winning the lottery, losing weight IS something that I can control.......and dang it, it feels so freaking good!!
    I hope you get YOUR head wrapped around it and find things that make the sacrifices worth it....and find the tools and things that make it work for you! Good luck!
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Don't consider it "trying again". Consider it coming back from a break. You took a break, for however long, and now the break is over.

Thats a great way to look at it!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    "Trying" only gives you an avenue to failure. "DOING" gives you power. Make this a permanent lifestyle change rather than something you only do for a few months.

Small steps will lead to significant changes, only....not when YOU want them.....!

I, too, am on my second go-round, having lost 35 lbs the first time. I changed my work schedule, got lazy, stopped making good food choices. The weight came back.
    This time, I've lost 11 lbs so far.

Try to concentrate more on how this lifestyle makes you feel. Look for results from the inside, and the outside will usually take care of itself.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    OP, don't try it again. Try it differently.
    (snipped)

THIS!!!!!

A great man (either Ben Franklin or Albert Einstein) once said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Reading this quote was a total aha! moment for me because it totally applied to my prior weight loss efforts. Again and again I tried to deprive myself of foods I love and exercise to the point of making myself hate it again and everything just seemed like such hard work and such a disaster!! So I looked around at the people in my life who were fit and paid attention to what they were doing and saw that - sure they could pretty much eat what they liked at special events and get away with it but most of the time they were eating healthy and being very active. So that's what I decided to do.

Keep trying new things but make sure you give each change at least 3 weeks to kick in - our bodies don't react overnight like we'd like them to. Good luck!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I posted this the other day on another thread...hope it helps...

Your greatest challenge, as is the majority of people, is MENTAL. 90% of what you need to get right is in your head and not on your plate.

I live by 3 words....CHOOSE. ACT. SUCCEED.

You already know what you WANT. But that want is NOTHING until YOU DECIDE and TAKE ACTION to get it. Until you do, you will achieve nothing.

I was in the deepest of denial of depression and going through the "cycles" for 2 years after the abrupt passing of my late wife. All I focused on was my kids. I saw myself in the mirror one day and was simply shocked at what I saw. It was right there I KNEW what I had to do, not only for myself, but my 2 kids (3 & 13 at the time). The made the Choice and began to act upon improving myself in all areas - Mind & Body. I quit smoking cold turkey (after 30 years), got rid of EVERYTHING (yes, this was extreme) in the pantry and changed my diet.
    I did NO cleanse that you hear everyone talking about. I did no Fad diet change. (HINT: A diet is the REGULAR intake of nutrition). After 8 months, I knew I was doing better, but when I stepped on the scale....HOLY *kitten*! 299 pounds at 6"!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew then I needed to do more. I changed my overall health for the good, but I did not change the amount of food I was eating. I found MFP. as an Ap originally. Then delved into the sight. 4 months later after understand better that I need to control how much I eat, I have lost 30 pounds with VERY little exercise.

What I am pointing out is MY experience, showing you where I was in the deepest of my Hell. I Chose. I am Acting. I am SUCCEEDING.

IF YOU WANT IT, GET IT!!!!!!!!

If you want someone to help motivate you, add me. Either way, know this. YOU CAN DO THIS. STAY STRONG, HONEST, DEDICATED, FOCUSED AND AWARE!!!

CHOOSE. ACT. SUCCEED.

Know this as well. Its not always what you eat. It is a combination of what and how much. Be Honest with your tracking. Hold to your goals, and you will get where you want. There is no secret or magic bullet. there is no "fast and easy" miracle. Drinking a prego's pee isn't getting you there healthy. Get your head healthy, and the rest follows suit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    You HAVE to be COMMITTED. If you doing it just to do it, then you'll fail. If you're doing to please someone else you'll fail. If you're doing it because it's doctor's orders, you'll fail. You have to WANT to really do it. So much so that NOTHING else matters as much. When the attitude is one that regardless of obstacles and bad mishaps confront you, you find a way to overcome them, then you'll win the battle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    You HAVE to be COMMITTED. If you doing it just to do it, then you'll fail. If you're doing to please someone else you'll fail. If you're doing it because it's doctor's orders, you'll fail. You have to WANT to really do it. So much so that NOTHING else matters as much. When the attitude is one that regardless of obstacles and bad mishaps confront you, you find a way to overcome them, then you'll win the battle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This is exactly how it works for me.

I have a list of things I want to be able to do at my goal weight. Every time I get discouraged or upset or feel like binging on food, I look at it, and then I look at the fact that I've lost 36 lbs total (28 on MFP). Is that food better than what it feels like to be healthy? Is this amazing food that I really want to eat worth ruining all the hard work I put into getting here? The answer is always "no."

In the end, it comes down to making daily choices and remembering why you want to be healthy. It doesn't mean you have to cut out everything you like to eat, just that you learn to control it.
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    you all give great advice and new outlook on everything :-)