Eating healthily in restaurants

Options
2»

Replies

• Tmarinari
    Options
    on the web site they have nutrition info, 1400 calories 67 grams of fat 250 carbs 4140g sodium 55g protein..
    Good thing I always ask for a box first put half my meal in it at the beginning and eat the rest..

1400 calories in one meal?! Eek. I don't think I could eat that without feeling nauseous. Or, rather, I'm scared that I could eat that without feeling nauseous.
    Sometimes I like to think that the restaurant industry is conspiring with the medical industry to sell more gastric bands, haha.
  • Tmarinari
    Options
    eek is sort of the sound i made. I do not understand why resturants think it is ok to pack fat and calories into everythig. There is deli i went to not to long ago to get my little girl and sandwich on the way to a doc. apt. there was so much mayo on it that she asked if she had to eat the bread.. Nasty...
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I went to tgi fridays last night, I orderd what i thought at the time was a healthy meal. Untill i got home and looked it up..
    this is the " from the menu..

Mediterranean Skewers

Marinated, well-seasoned and grilled with lemon-garlic sauce. Served with grilled pita, ginger-lime slaw and a tasty tzatziki cucumber yogurt sauce. Served with your choice of Grilled Chicken or Black Angus Sirloin.

First it came with No slaw and had rice, also came with some kind of zuchinni on the side which was yummy. Came with 2 skewers about 5 bites on chicken on each and small pieces of pepper

on the web site they have nutrition info, 1400 calories 67 grams of fat 250 carbs 4140g sodium 55g protein..
    Good thing I always ask for a box first put half my meal in it at the beginning and eat the rest..

So you can discount the nutritional info , because the meal served was not as described, right?
    Sounds delicious -was it?

I always order the dragonfire salmon with no sauce, no mango salsa....basically plain wood-fire grilled Salmon, the brococoli, and the slaw. The meal works out to about 450 calories and I usually don't eat it all.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others... a 600 calorie restaurant meal is not bad at all! And it is definitely not rude to ask for dressing on the side. A lot of people do that these days and I'm sure they are used to it.

Your Mom really insisted you had to order something sweet? I can't imagine that. You are a grown person. Would it have been a big deal if you politely explained you are watching your diet and went with a cup of tea or something instead?
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    OP - I know that it seems rude to custom order, but it is not. I used to be a server, and as long as you tip well, they will be very accomodating. I custom order everything, and no one minds...especially with everyone so health concious.
  • wvbuckeye
    Options
    Im no expert by any means (yet), but I find that when the wife wants to go out to eat at a place i have not done yet, I go to the website and preplan a meal. Best to have a game plan. If I go to a restaraunt without one I blow up! Usually take in about 2500 calories in one sitting! Last night I went to Logans Roadhouse and because of the homework I ate talapia with brocolli and rice. I had the calories to spare for the rice so it was about 600 calories. I am proud of that!
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I try to find out which restaurant we are going to especially if its a chain so that i can go on their website to scan the nutrional menu. Be prepared is the only way to eat rigt :smile:
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    A 600 calorie meal is bad??

Ummm yeah for me it is. I try to keep it under 400 and under 300 if I can, eat more meals throughout the day with much smaller portions.