Fit Bits and Shape Up Sketchers

Hi All:

Does anyone have any feedback on using FitBits? Do they really help your weight loss? How about the sketcher shape up shoes which are supposed to tone your legs while you walk? Any feedback would be great, I hate wasting money on gimmicks.

Replies

• As for the Sketcher Shape Ups, I will say this - I could feel it in my thighs the first day or so that I wore them. After that, they felt like normal shoes. But they are the most COMFORTABLE shoes I've ever owned. If I want to walk long distances, I pull these bad boys out. I spent 5 hours touring Manhattan in these, as well as 4 days in Vegas walking several miles per day. Long day shopping - no problem. Touring the zoo - no problem.

I cannot attest to their fitness function, but they are the best shoes I ever bought and I wear them regularly.
  • I have had 3 pairs of Shape Ups. Not impressed. They are fashionable, but as far as "really working", save your money.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Hi All:

Does anyone have any feedback on using FitBits? Do they really help your weight loss? How about the sketcher shape up shoes which are supposed to tone your legs while you walk? Any feedback would be great, I hate wasting money on gimmicks.

Shapeups are currently being investigated by the better business bureau for false advertising. I wouldnt recommend them.

I am using a fit bit, been doing so for about a week now. I think the thing it helps with the most is making you realize how active you really are in a day. I realized that on days that I work, Im pretty active, but on my off days, Im VERY sedentary. Encourages me to get up and move around, go for a walk, just to keep active.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    I would love to have a fitbit. But don't know if it will be compatible with my iPad 1. I don't use my computer very often.

****Does anyone know if the fitbit will load tracked data onto the fitbit website via the iPad?

As for the ShapeUps. Definitely not worthwhile.
  • If your Ipad has internet access to myfitnesspal, I saw a page here where you sink the fit bit with MFP....I don't know if that helps or not.
  • Thanks everyone, I appreciate it! FitBit seems cool, I dunno if I wanna spend 100 for something to tell me to move more. BUT, tracking caloric deficit with accuracy is a worthwhile investment...esp because we always overestimate how many caloires we burn and underestimate how many we eat.
  • MarchelleLynne
    MarchelleLynne Posts: 229 Member
    Great question, I just seen the fitbit in the tools and was fairly interested. I think I will save some money to buy one of these!! :love:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Shape Ups are a gimmick.

Google a body weight workout and stop wasting time and money.

Fit Bit does the same as this free website can when used properly.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    I don't think I've ever seen a "fit" person wearing shape ups. Ever. They are always overweight, and I'm just making an assumption but is looking for a quick fix to lose weight...or to skip really working out. I don't want to paint a broad stroke...I'm SURE there are many who are doing it as well as other things to help lead a healthier life...but they don't work...I hate how they look actually...but I think they are just a gimmick. I'd put my money into some spin shoes. :wink:
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Here's the deal with Shape Ups -- I've had mine for a while now.

I'm a nurse and they are extremely comfortable to wear when you are on your feet all day, especially if you have to stand in one place for long periods of time. I went from having chronic foot pain to no foot pain and can attribute that to Shape Ups. A lot of nurses swear by them.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure they didn't make my butt any smaller.

Take it for what its worth. ;-)
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    :happy: :bigsmile: I have the fitbit and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!!

And yes, it did jump start my weight loss. I had plateaued, but have lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks of having it. It turned out I actually wasn't eating enough. The calorie burn it gives me is very close to my Polar HRM. It also sync's well with MFP!!
  • Ryder9902
    Ryder9902 Posts: 22 Member
    I have a pair of shape up's which I originally bought because I get severe heel pain and they take the pressure off of my heels. However, since I have started walking at a brisk pace and working out I have found it much harder to stay stable while doing so. Not to mention I don't look very graceful. LOL. Good for when my heels hurt but bad for work-outs.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    As for the Sketcher Shape Ups, I will say this - I could feel it in my thighs the first day or so that I wore them. After that, they felt like normal shoes. But they are the most COMFORTABLE shoes I've ever owned. If I want to walk long distances, I pull these bad boys out. I spent 5 hours touring Manhattan in these, as well as 4 days in Vegas walking several miles per day. Long day shopping - no problem. Touring the zoo - no problem.

I cannot attest to their fitness function, but they are the best shoes I ever bought and I wear them regularly.

DITTO THAT!
  • I also got suckered into the shape-ups. Although they did absolutely nothing for me, I have to agree with the couple of women on here who have said they are the most comfortable shoes they have ever owned. I walk 3-5 miles a day and because these shoes are made with so much padding on the bottom, my feet never hurt from all the pounding on the pavement. Sure, you can't run in these because of the odd boat shape, but if you want a comfortable, well-padded shoe, go for it.

It doesn't really help you tone that much though. I got more toned from 5 days of 30DS than I did from 3 months of wearing these.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    :happy: :bigsmile: I have the fitbit and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!!

And yes, it did jump start my weight loss. I had plateaued, but have lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks of having it. It turned out I actually wasn't eating enough. The calorie burn it gives me is very close to my Polar HRM. It also sync's well with MFP!!

DITTO THAT!
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    How about the sketcher shape up shoes which are supposed to tone your legs while you walk?

Just gonna throw this out there... There's no such thing as 'toning'. You're either building muscle, losing muscle or maintaining muscle.

Total gimmick.

Jay
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Here's the deal with Shape Ups -- I've had mine for a while now.

I'm a nurse and they are extremely comfortable to wear when you are on your feet all day, especially if you have to stand in one place for long periods of time. I went from having chronic foot pain to no foot pain and can attribute that to Shape Ups. A lot of nurses swear by them.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure they didn't make my butt any smaller.

Take it for what its worth. ;-)
    Also a nurse and this is my experience as well. I absolutely do not believe they do anything to shape me up but man my feet feel so much better!! I love my fitbit. I don't eat all my calories back, but I like to see an estimate of how much i move.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Hi. I bought the Champion version of Shape-ups only because they cost me $7.50. The first few days, I could feel them pulling on my upper leg under my butt, but that was because of how you have to adjust to walking. I do not think they'll do anything for me, but they are really very, very comfortable shoes to wear when I'm doing my walking. I wear them on rainy days so I don't ruin my good tennies. I wouldn't purchase these as an exercise tool.
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    As for the Sketcher Shape Ups, I will say this - I could feel it in my thighs the first day or so that I wore them. After that, they felt like normal shoes. But they are the most COMFORTABLE shoes I've ever owned. If I want to walk long distances, I pull these bad boys out. I spent 5 hours touring Manhattan in these, as well as 4 days in Vegas walking several miles per day. Long day shopping - no problem. Touring the zoo - no problem.

^^^this. They feel like walking on clouds, but I've had them for over a year now & haven't noticed any difference in the tone or shape of my legs. There is a specific way that you are suipposed to walk in them, very heel-to-toe using the full length of the sole, and when I'm thinking about it and walk that way I feel it in my thighs. But it's a very unnatural way to walk so I find that you lapse back into a normal walk very easily. Plus someone noticed me trying to walk like that here at work once & asked me what was wrong. They said it looked like I was a toddler trying to take her first steps without falling, lol.