Encouragement for those with less to lose

Options

Replies

• Chevitz
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and weigh 144... Ideally I'd like to lose another 4-6 lbs but I'm not going to kill myself over it. I do Insanity 6x per week (I'm on Day 3 of Month 2) and have really started to tone and build muscle. I'm much more focused on my measurements, BF %, and what size I am wearing than what the scale says. I have friends that are on me that I don't "need" to work out like I do and that I look good, "especially for having 2 kids" - but I like how strong I'm feeling, my endurance and I REALLY love that post-workout high :) I simply want to be totally comfortable in my own skin, regardless of what I'm wearing or where I am.
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    I actually have to gain some, then lose what I gain, plus a few, etc., but overall, its all about lowering my body fat.
    \

Well I did gain a bit so now that is what I am trying to do ha!

gotta say, you are looking pretty good in your pics - keep it up! :smile:

Those pics were from this past Nov and Dec. I have gained only a little since then but thank you!! I am trying :)
  • debbieplus3
    Options
    I also have only 8-10lbs to lose, nice to hear it does come off (as it seems very slow). Loving the M&M's idea - thanks! ;o)
  • LJC44
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and weigh 144... Ideally I'd like to lose another 4-6 lbs but I'm not going to kill myself over it. I do Insanity 6x per week (I'm on Day 3 of Month 2) and have really started to tone and build muscle. I'm much more focused on my measurements, BF %, and what size I am wearing than what the scale says. I have friends that are on me that I don't "need" to work out like I do and that I look good, "especially for having 2 kids" - but I like how strong I'm feeling, my endurance and I REALLY love that post-workout high :) I simply want to be totally comfortable in my own skin, regardless of what I'm wearing or where I am.

Oh that post workout high is what keeps me workin out!! LOVE it!
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: : anytime... I found i dont have to deprive myself the things I like its just learning to eat them by ACTUAL serving sizes or less... in the case of chocolate way less considering a serving size is a whole bag with a whopping 250 calories...
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Fri 02/17/12 12:54 PM
    I also have only 8-10lbs to lose, nice to hear it does come off (as it seems very slow). Loving the M&M's idea - thanks! ;o)
    anytime... I found i dont have to deprive myself the things I like its just learning to eat them by ACTUAL serving sizes or less... in the case of chocolate way less considering a serving size is a whole bag with a whopping 250 calories...
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 157ish at 5'8 my dream number on the scale is 130 but I have been inspired by another thread to start lifting to bring down my bodyfat so my real goal is to have a flat tummy since I haven't had one since I was a child lol!!
  • Spamee
    Spamee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have about 15# to loose including 1 Muffin top.

I was diagnosed with breat cancer 4 years ago. I had 8 surgerys in 2.5 years. I lost alot of muscle not being able to work out for 6-10 weeks between each surgery. Im trying to loose some weight & get back some muscle.

overall be healthier
  • LJC44
    Options

I was diagnosed with breat cancer 4 years ago. I had 8 surgerys in 2.5 years. I lost alot of muscle not being able to work out for 6-10 weeks between each surgery. Im trying to loose some weight & get back some muscle.

overall be healthier

Be patient, it takes time :) I know everyone says that but it is true.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I am sure a lot of people look at us, and think we are crazy for wanting to lose weight/tone. But in the end, it's what make us happy. What I really don't understand is why people associate exercising/fitness with weight loss. I never told anyone that I was trying to lose weight, but they always say "you don't need lose weight" or "you are skinny already" when I talk about my workout. I exercise to be healthy and to maintain my weight. I have to admit that I think to myself "I look pretty good for someone with 2 kids". I don't know why, but I do.

Keep up the good work ladies.
  • LJC44
    Options
    I am sure a lot of people look at us, and think we are crazy for wanting to lose weight/tone. But in the end, it's what make us happy. What I really don't understand is why people associate exercising/fitness with weight loss. I never told anyone that I was trying to lose weight, but they always say "you don't need lose weight" or "you are skinny already" when I talk about my workout. I exercise to be healthy and to maintain my weight. I have to admit that I think to myself "I look pretty good for someone with 2 kids". I don't know why, but I do.

You look awesome for 2 kids and you look awesome in general! (not just for having kids) ;)
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options

overall be healthier

I was dx'd 6 years ago next month, and I've also had a ton of surgeries (#10 was last just last year). Since joining MFP, I've lost 12 pounds and am at my goal weight, but I desperately want/need to get stronger. I haven't worked out my upper body since before I got sick because so many doctors told me not to lift anything over 10 pounds - FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE! Now that there have been studies showing that strength training is actually beneficial to breast cancer survivors, I've finally started lifting weights. It feels great!

(My one concern though is that the chest strengthening exercises are going to mess up my reconstruction. Ugh...)
  • hilary619
    Options
    Hello! I am glad this thread is here. I am currently 137# @5'4" and would like to lose about 10 more lbs. to reach a goal weight so I can run a Personal Record (PR) in a half-marathon this June. When I tell others about my goal, I always get replies that are less than encouraging. I don't want to hear that I am already thin, it would be nice to hear some support toward my goal.

I am always trying to encourage others to run/walk with me because that is how I lost my weight, but I just can't seem to convince others to join me. I sit and listen to friends and relatives complain about their weight, poor health, sleep problems, and I naturally want to help. I never judge, and never wag my finger at them...I give suggestions, I tell them about MFP, I call them to join me for an exercise class, but alas--they don't return my calls. Then I sit and listen to them complain...again.

Goal setting is healthy and although I am thinner than many of my friends, I wish I could get the same amount of support that I give to them. I have inspired several friends to get healthier and they have told me that I have inspired them, so that's good news :)

What's a good angle to approach others to set a goal and encourage them to join me as we reach our goals together?
    Thanks!! Best to you in reaching your goals!
  • hungryPHATbunny
    hungryPHATbunny Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I am sure a lot of people look at us, and think we are crazy for wanting to lose weight/tone. But in the end, it's what make us happy. What I really don't understand is why people associate exercising/fitness with weight loss. I never told anyone that I was trying to lose weight, but they always say "you don't need lose weight" or "you are skinny already" when I talk about my workout. I exercise to be healthy and to maintain my weight.

Yep, I get a lot of odd looks and comments when I talk about exercising. And I've always got a lot of comments about how nice it must be to not "have to work at it" or be able to "eat whatever I want and not gain weight." That's just not true. I DO watch what I eat and I do exercise. I love that there are so many fitness minded folks here who understand.
  • LoriPayne
    Options
    Re a new kind of 'tipple' I hear you, love beer and wine, but the calories are so high. I now drink vodka with a zero calorie addition, Costco sells a great case of carbonated zero calorie drinks, and if I'm in the bar I'll have vodka with club soda or a wine spritzer. takes away the guilt thats for sure! Also looking into one of those carbonated water makers for the home to make my own zero cal drinks.:drinker:
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    so does anyone have a good response on what is a easy good way to reduce your body fat? I have been doing 30ds daily and 30 min cardio but i am just not loosing weight or inches at all... i would love to take a bit of fat off and be leaner..
  • robbda
    robbda Posts: 82
    Options
    Im so glad i've found people in the same boat, i'm unhappy about how I look, i was until monday over weight on the BMI - now I'm the top end of my healthy range but none of my mate seem majorily supportive.. i get told i don't need to.. or oh is that ALL your eating? your disappear! or i'm told i don't have to work as hard to lose the weight as some of my larger friends... it really upsets me! i'm trying so hard!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Lin7604 - Probably will have more to do with diet, so hopefully someone can chime in for you. As far as workouts, maybe add more strength training.
  • flowrinmyhair
    Options
    I'm so glad to see this. I just started yesterday, and I'm along the same lines. My goal isn't huge, 10 lbs. But I figure I can be skinny-ish, and still not very healthy. This at least keeps me more accountable to working out regularly. And if I lose weight along the way, awesome!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!