FYI re: Shape Ups, Easy Tones, etc

Options
jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
You know those shoes with the bubbled/curved soles? Sketchers makes the Shape Up, Reebok makes the Easy Tone, I'm sure there are others out there too.

BE CAREFUL with these shoes.

They can be dangerous when worn during workouts. The "shaped" soles make them less stable than traditional shoes. The reduced stability is what leads to the manufacturer's claims about increased toning, muscle stimulation, etc. However it also, ready for this, makes the shoes less stable... which can lead to injury. Rolled ankles are much more common, and well as other foot/lower leg/knee issues.

As with miracle weight loss pills, there is no miracle footwear. You have to bust your *kitten* to lose your *kitten*. Period.

Replies

• PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor says those shoes are the devil. They don't help you, and they DO destabilize your spine, ankles, knees, etc.

Being off 1/4 inch at the foot is much more pronounced by the time it gets to your hip / spine.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    My chiropractor says those shoes are the devil. They don't help you, and they DO destabilize your spine, ankles, knees, etc.

Being off 1/4 inch at the foot is much more pronounced by the time it gets to your hip / spine.
    I totally believe it. I don't know the science behind it, but how many back issues start at the feet? Lots.
  • Justine13
    Justine13 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I tried a pair of those shape-up shoe.
    I deffinatley would NOT work out with them. the first while you wear them you have to be very aware of your walking as they are unstable.
    They do however make your lower butt and thighs feel good afterwords BUT i worked retail so i was litterally walking for 8 hours and only felt the burn at the end of my shift.
    I wouldn't really reccomend getting them, unless you are constantly walking all day it's not worth it.
    Your better off doing a 20min run at the end of the day instead.
    Justine :0)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Someone once gave what I thought was a great piece of advice; take the £100 or whatever that they would have cost, and instead buy some excellent quality nutrition!
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    All I can say about this is how silly they look. I've seen so many people wearing them and they look ridiculous.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    yes sir, dangerous and costly, may as well put in the actual hard work, instead.... better results and costs less.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that their sole reason for existing was as a walking shoe. They make dance and aerobic shoes for the other things that reduce your risk of, y'know, getting hurt.
  • Ryder9902
    Ryder9902 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of shape up's which I originally bought because I get severe heel pain and they take the pressure off of my heels. However, since I have started walking at a brisk pace and working out I have found it much harder to stay stable while doing so. Not to mention I don't look very graceful. LOL. Good for when my heels hurt but bad for work-outs.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I was under the impression that their sole reason for existing was as a walking shoe. They make dance and aerobic shoes for the other things that reduce your risk of, y'know, getting hurt.
    From the little bit I've seen that's generally how they seem to be marketed, as a walking shoe. 2 things:

1) How many people actually use a product the way it was intended to be used?
    2) Even as a walking shoe they reduce the stability at your foot, which can lead to problems.
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have the skechers shape ups and all I can do is walk in them. If I run or anything else besides, spinning or walking, they hurt the arch in my feet. I haven't tried the others though.
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    All I can say about this is how silly they look. I've seen so many people wearing them and they look ridiculous.

Yeah, I've seen those ones that have the big thing on the bottom. But the ones I got look like normal shoes. Maybe the funky looking ones are better LOL...
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of my weight loss I bought a pair of Shape Ups and started walking. I had been walking for days, when I started having trouble with my right knee. I kept going because I "thought" it meant I was working my muscles. After about 3 weeks the pain was so bad I went to the doctor. The doctor said I had tendonitis. If I would have kept wearing those shoes it would
    have ruined my knee for good. That was 18 months ago and to this day I have trouble with my knee. I never had trouble before and the doctor said it was due to those shoes and told me, not to give them away but to throw them away!!!
    Mary
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair at Costco for $20 (I didn't really buy into the hype but I figured for $20 I might as well try them out). I wore them twice, had back pain for a few days after each wear, then returned the pieces of junk.
  • kp1439
    kp1439 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    thanks for the heads up
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I got mine on clearance for $20. I love them. BUT they are for walking only. Not for elliptical, running, treadmill, raquetball, etc. If you use them for what they were made for, they are awesome!
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Exactly. I have them and I have tripped lots of times. They are made for walking outside and THAT IS IT!!!
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    It would be literally impossible for me to do any of my work out routines in these shoes, however, when I was waitressing 12 hour shifts, these shoes were a gift from God! They were so comfortable to wear for 12 hours straight, plus I became very aware of my footing.

Doesn't mean I'd ever wear them out for a run!!
  • kaf330
    kaf330 Posts: 61
    Options
    I have a pair and yes they are stupid looking, however, I where them when I bartend and am on my feet for 10+ hrs per shift. Other than that I dont use them.
  • AnnaCVeach
    AnnaCVeach Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think (pretty sure about it though) that I heard on the news a few weeks back that there is actually a class action lawsuit against either Sketchers or Reebok because of the injuries these shoes have caused.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I think (pretty sure about it though) that I heard on the news a few weeks back that there is actually a class action lawsuit against either Sketchers or Reebok because of the injuries these shoes have caused.

I hope not Skechers. They're the only shoes I wear.