I'm really cunfused about my weight

Options
I'm 5'4" tall and weight 161 lb but I'm wearing size 4/6 in jeans and size S/M in shirts. all my friends that are about my height and wearing bigger size than me, weight less for some reason. How can it be?

Replies

• Stinalynn121
    Stinalynn121 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would take a guess and say that your friends have more body fat then you do muscle weighs more then fat does which is why you can be the same height/weight as someone else but they would be in larger clothing sizes. :flowerforyou:
  • SFalconStorm
    SFalconStorm Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking you have more muscle mass. At your size, I wouldn't go by the number on the scale. I would see about having my body fat percentage calculated and use that to determine if you even need to lose weight. You may be just fine. Every one is different and the bmi charts aren't always applicable.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I would take a guess and say that your friends have more body fat then you do muscle weighs more then fat does which is why you can be the same height/weight as someone else but they would be in larger clothing sizes. :flowerforyou:

Muscles weighs the SAME as fat ... it just takes up less space pound per pound. That would probably explain it. Two people can be the exact same height, weight, age etc but fit into different sized clothing based on body fat %, muscle mass, fat distrubution etc.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    If you're muscular but weigh the same as they do you will appear a lot smaller. Muscle is more dense than fat so it takes up less space, giving you a leaner appearance.
  • shanilachish
    shanilachish Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I really am muscular. My body fat % is about 30% though. It doesn't make any sence to me :frown:
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options

Muscles weighs the SAME as fat ... it just takes up less space pound per pound. That would probably explain it. Two people can be the exact same height, weight, age etc but fit into different sized clothing based on body fat %, muscle mass, fat distrubution etc.

^^^^^^^^^^ This!
  • abutterflyemerges
    abutterflyemerges Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" tall and weight 161 lb but I'm wearing size 4/6 in jeans and size S/M in shirts. all my friends that are about my height and wearing bigger size than me, weight less for some reason. How can it be?

i just have to say....WTH? I am same weight and height and I wear 12/14. Someone jipped me somewhere!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You will weigh more the further north or south you go from the equator. If you want to weigh less quickly, go move closer to the equator.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    wow, I'm 5'4 too and in order for me to wear a 4/6 i have to weigh around 125-130.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

i just have to say....WTH? I am same weight and height and I wear 12/14. Someone jipped me somewhere!

Me too! I wear a 12 when i'm 160-165.
  • Hanablu2
    Hanablu2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Your body is more dense because you likely have more muscle mass. I'm 5'4" and have a lot of muscle in my legs I also have smaller arms, while I am losing weight because I am too big I have always lifted weights, genetically I build muscle fast. Friends and family that are my height and weigh less are wearing bigger sized clothes and look bigger but I also know they don't work to build muscle. I saw a show in which a 5.5" woman who was overweight had125lbs of pure muscle mass. wow! So it could be that you are more muscular and dense to you look smaller.
  • CarolynKlum
    Options
    Remember: You can't change your hip bones! Jean sizes can only get so small for every person -- your hips and natural bone structure dictates what you wear too!
  • Dammitviv
    Options
    I really am muscular. My body fat % is about 30% though. It doesn't make any sence to me :frown:

Is this a body fat measurement taken by a trainer with hands on different areas of your body or is it from standing on a bathroom scale?

If it's from the scale, it may not be as accurate as you would hope.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options

LOL! I'm between! At 160 I am about 10/12. Gain more muscle, fit into smaller sizes even at heavier weights!
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You will weigh more the further north or south you go from the equator. If you want to weigh less quickly, go move closer to the equator.

Do you get taller at the equator too, as you're further away from the magnetic poles
  • shanilachish
    shanilachish Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Is this a body fat measurement taken by a trainer with hands on different areas of your body or is it from standing on a bathroom scale?

If it's from the scale, it may not be as accurate as you would hope.
    My trainer took it at the gym
  • I would take a guess and say that your friends have more body fat then you do muscle weighs more then fat does which is why you can be the same height/weight as someone else but they would be in larger clothing sizes. :flowerforyou:

I love you for this post. 5lbs. of fat is the same weight as 5lbs. as muscle, but muscles takes up a ton less space.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

I am totally jealous of you! I'm 6 inches taller, weigh 9 lbs more and I just got back into my size 12 pants. If I could wear those sizes, I'm thinking I would throw my scales away and just go with it! :)
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^ This!

it suprises me that people still say that; a pound is a pound, whether its a pound of lead or a pound of sand whatever, it still weighs a pound
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat.