water retintion

Options
Need some help..I was wandering why I was not seeing any loses on the scale..I now know..it is water..I have high blood pressure and take meds for it but I know my body accumulates it more then normal..The way I found out it was that I tried weighing myself first thing in morning,around lunch and at night..The first thing in the morning is horrible..But my hands are usually swollen in the mornings also..so around lunch and it was then that i found the weight dropped...

Any suggestions on what i can do to help get rid of the extra water???

Replies

• joshswifey2011
    joshswifey2011 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have you checked the sodium content in the foods your eating?:drinker:
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Watch your sodium and drink as much water as you possibly can!!! I know it sounds wrong, but it's true. The more water you drink the more you flush out of your system. I have the same problem. Especially around my TOM. I have to drink between 16 to 20 cups of water a day depending on what I eat. Good luck!
  • Diandra81
    Diandra81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Drink water. You should drink half your weight, in ounces, of water a day!
  • Justkf
    Justkf Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Monitor your sodium and potassium in here. Potassium can help flush out the water.
  • crystaldougherty
    crystaldougherty Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, my body was retaining water horribly(first 100lbs was fluid weight)... I used to drink about a 24 pack of mountain dew a DAY! and then I started walking and drinking nothing but water and it took 6-12 months to get all the fluid weight off. All you need to do is watch your sodium intake whether it be drinks or food, and drink lots and lots of water to flush out your system.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Track your sodium and carbs. High sodium doesn't necessarily mean water retention if your high sodium intake is a constant. It's when your sodium spikes for a day or two you may experience water retention.

My weight increases roughly 13lbs after my Sat / Sunday carb fest. Which over the next 2 or 3 days, will be gone as I return to a lower carb / sodium intake.
  • DeanLite
    Options
    Reduce your sodium and sugars. You really should'nt be swollen in the morning. That is when you should weigh your lowest.
    Yes, Keep close watches on your sodiums and sugars especially at night. I also drink warm lemon water at night with splenda.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Water Retention....

...are you eating lots of salt?
    ....could be your hormones/time of the month?
    ....eating too low calories?

Drink more water it might help...
  • Spacecas
    Spacecas Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    thank you all for the advice...yes it was that I was not drinking enough water...I have cut down to one cup of coffee a day and one glass of tea and the rest nothing but water..as much as I can stand to drink and it sure has made a big difference...I also have been watching my sodium best I can..hard to always stay within the recommended amount on that when it is in every thing...

I have started to see a loss now on the scale and do not wake to swollen hands any more and now morning is the best time to weigh...

Thank you all again for the advice..:)