Am I starving myself?

Options
2»

Replies

• MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary you are not eating enough. You're eating plenty of calories, but just too much at one time!

- Do not skip breakfast, if even a small something (granola bar, cereal, shake, etc).
    -Eat more of your calories for lunch vs dinner.
    - Drink a lot more water!! At your weight you should be drinking about 12 glasses a day minimum. My suggestion is to drink 1-3 cold glasses when you first wake up. It stimulates your body and gets the metabolism started - then eat breakfast and it will set you for the rest of the day.
    - Reduce your carbs!!
    - eat more veggies!!!!
    - Eat more lean protien !!!!

You should eat at least 4x per day.

^^ This - totally. You need to re-evaluate your eating - your portion sizes are very large in some cases, and on days where you eat 'properly' as in 3 meals a day plus snacks you're going over in your calories a lot. In some cases you're close to eating your daily total in one sitting. Stay clear of fast food places and allow your body time to adjust - you didn't put the weight on overnight and it's going to take time. In addition as some others have said I would drop to 1lb a week loss, while it may be safe to lose more it's not necessarily the sensible thing to do. Choosing to join this site means following what it tells you to do, not much point otherwise!
  • c8miller
    c8miller Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I'm exercising more in my life than I ever have for nearly two months now and I've lost four pounds total and have gained two of them back... Not happy about that. I feel like all my exercising is not helping to lose weight AND I'm hungry most of the time - especially after lunch.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Try to focus less on the calories and more on what Fat Carbs Protein Sodium and Sugars are in the foods. If you eat the right foods containing low fats/ moderate to low carbs and high protein you will be better off. I started on a fitness track at the end of June 2011 and i haven't paid much attention to calories but my concerns were with the Carbs Proteins and Fats. I was down 40 lbs by Jan 2012. So look at the whole picture rather than just the calories. Best of luck!!

Also, the first 2-3 weeks are the hardest. If you can fight the urge to quit, you will reap the benefits cause the weight will start pouring off. Your body just needs to adjust.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,230 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I'm exercising more in my life than I ever have for nearly two months now and I've lost four pounds total and have gained two of them back... Not happy about that. I feel like all my exercising is not helping to lose weight AND I'm hungry most of the time - especially after lunch.

What is your weight loss goal set at? Drop it to 1 pound per week at most. Probably half a pound per week would be better. Here is a helpful guide http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits Basically since you only have 14 pounds to lose, your body will not tolerate a larger deficit. Unless you are quite obese 2 pounds per week is too high a goal.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 12 or so of getting healthy again. In 2008 I was 165. I'm currently 253. My husband and I have lived fairly sedentary lives for the last 18-20 months.

My BMR is 1920 (or so). MFP has "given" me 1400 calories a day (2 pound/week loss). I try to eat back 70-90% of my exercise calories, and I try to underestimate calories burned during workouts because this site tends to be VERY generous on cals burned.

In the first 10 days, I only recorded a loss of 1.3 pounds. I had a couple of bad days, but I'm averaging just shy of 1400 calories a day. I know slow loss is sustainable, but at my weight, losing 2/week is safe... I'm just frustrated.

My question is- do you think my calories are too low and my body is just holding on to fat?

No you are not starving yourself at 1400 calories per day.

Look at WHAT you are eating rather than the calorie amount.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary you are not eating enough. You're eating plenty of calories, but just too much at one time!

- Do not skip breakfast, if even a small something (granola bar, cereal, shake, etc).
    - Drink a lot more water!! At your weight you should be drinking about 12 glasses a day minimum. My suggestion is to drink 1-3 cold glasses when you first wake up. It stimulates your body and gets the metabolism started - then eat breakfast and it will set you for the rest of the day.
    - Reduce your carbs!!
    - eat more veggies!!!!

agree, accept about skipping breakfast and eating heavier at lunch vs dinner..those are just flat out not true...if you can lower your carb total and make sure you consume a solid amount of fiber (from whole grains and veggies) and lean protein you will feel fuller longer

Please ....do tell - how is it "flat out not true"? Having something for breakfast kick starts your body and keeps it from "starving" and not having a 1000 calorie meal before bed is not healthy. Technically all meals should be close to the same calories - but if one is going to indulge and have a bigger meal (ie 700+ calories) it should be lunch to allow the body to burn it off and not store it!
  • vilardip1
    Options

- Reduce your carbs!!
    - eat more veggies!!!!

agree, accept about skipping breakfast and eating heavier at lunch vs dinner..those are just flat out not true...if you can lower your carb total and make sure you consume a solid amount of fiber (from whole grains and veggies) and lean protein you will feel fuller longer

Please ....do tell - how is it "flat out not true"? Having something for breakfast kick starts your body and keeps it from "starving" and not having a 1000 calorie meal before bed is not healthy. Technically all meals should be close to the same calories - but if one is going to indulge and have a bigger meal (ie 700+ calories) it should be lunch to allow the body to burn it off and not store it!

do some research please...back up with scientific evidence

http://www.leangains.com/

if you don't believe the science, idk what to tell ya
  • vilardip1
    Options

- Reduce your carbs!!
    - eat more veggies!!!!

do some research please...back up with scientific evidence

http://www.leangains.com/

if you don't believe the science, idk what to tell ya

more specifically here..

http://www.leangains.com/2011/06/is-late-night-eating-better-for-fat.html
  • nfgchick79
    nfgchick79 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and I think other posters have said this too, you really should try to prepare more foods at home. Fast food has so much sodium in at. It looks like you eat away from home quite a bit. I guarantee if you substitute more veggies and lean proteins cooked at home you'll start to lose faster. You'll probably also feel better as well!