Over Eating at Night

Options
I've tried a million times to stop eating at a certain time and just drink water for the rest of the night but nothing is working. I don't get hungry at all during the day i mean i don't crave food, it some times makes me sick looking at it but then at night around 5pm i want to eat everything in sight It's sad but sometimes i'll take a bowl of something to bed with me and watch tv and snack right before falling asleep... I also can't seem to cut out my wine or beer, i've tried over and over again but i always seem to grap a wine glass or a bottle opener once my kids go to sleep... Am i the only one struggling with this ? Does anyone have some help full tips or idea's on how to stop this habit im never going to lose weight if im only eating at night and can't cut back on the drinking.. i don't get drunk i just have a few glasses or beers to calm down from my day....Help !!!!

Replies

• 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    Maybe it's our name? My name is Tamara which I go by Tamifanny too! :laugh: Anyway...I too do not really start my cravings until the night & was drinking my usually 1 glass of wine or beer that started into 2 glasses or wine or beer. I couldn't loose any weight so I've started eating my "breakfast" at lunch & cut out the beer & wine. It was hard I have to say but I'm finally noticing a gradual lose:happy: I have been trying to eat my salad from dinner with lite italian dressing which is only 45C for 2 Tablespoons. It has helped alot to snack on low or no calorie foods. I also seem work out in the evening so I'm not eating too. I have more energy now that I've cut out the sugar (most of it anyway) & the alcohol. I do have a sugarfree fudge bar for desert while watching TV. Hope this helps.:drinker: :drinker:
  • savanahspring
    Options
    That sounds just like me! I do so good during the day and don't even feel hungry, but I ALWAYS have to have something right before bed. You have kids so you probably can't do this, but we started eating dinner much later like at 8:30 or 9:00pm. So I'm still eating at night, but it's not extra stuff, just whatever I would have eaten anyways, and then I always have to have something sweet too, so right before bed I eat some fruit or just a little bit of ice cream or lately I've been sipping a diet soda. This is what I found works for me. And then I just always try to remind myself that I didn't work hard all day just to mess it up and night.

Hope some of this helps! I think I know what you're going through
  • 1Sweets
    Options
    I have been trying to eat my salad from my dinner with lite italian dressing which is only 45C for 2 Tablespoons for TV snackies. :laugh:
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I know this might sound bad but every time my honey is home is when i want to over eat, during the day im so darn busy with the kids i have no time to think about food or over eating but once he gets home from work is when the problem starts he's 6'2" 170 and eats like a horse and looks a amazing yeah it's not fair, so he always wants to get chips, cookies, ice cream and drink when he gets off work. And how do you sit there eating carrot sticks and not want to tackle him for the bowl of chips...So my biggest problem is not snacking when im winding down from my day .... But how ? I hate my weight but yet struggle with saying no!!!
  • dms24
    dms24 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That's exactly the time that we eat dinner, at 8 or 9 at night, cuz' my hubby doesn't get home till then. I just make sure my kids are fed earlier. As far as the wine and beer, I love both and totally understand how hard it is to cut them out entirely. But on the days I know I'm going to drink a little, I exercise more so I can have the extra calories. And if it's just 1 glass of wine at the end of the day, I make sure I leave at least 100 calories for it. So I guess my suggestion would be to exercise a little more during the day to balance out the alcohol at the end of the night. And if you can, drink red wine instead of white wine or beer. I believe the red is less in calories and it's supposedly very good for your circulation (1 glass, not the whole bottle :) You will still lose the weight. Trust me, I am down 10 pounds and 1 full pants size in 3 weeks!! Good luck and stick with it:) :glasses:
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    I tend to have cravings at night too...i just try to ignore them and smoke more ciggarettes (yea yea cuz thats healthy for me :laugh: ) but if it gets to the point where i cant ignore the wanting to eat I just go to bed (so long as my kids are asleep)
  • 1Sweets
    Options
    My husband is a candy-aholic:laugh: He eats it in front of me too! He thinks because hardcandy has no fat that it won't add pounds. I just sit on the side of the couch where I can't see him while I'm watching TV & have my healthier foods as not to want his candy & icecream. By doing this he is starting to feel unhealthy:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Also,it probably get him to think about how my weight lose is "working" for me & not "working" for him without saying a thing:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's so hard I know....If only we could "buy" WILL POWER:sad: Just keep trying or work out more in the mornings so you can allow for those "treats" & maybe have less of them. :drinker:
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    My husband is a candy-aholic:laugh: He eats it in front of me too! He thinks because hardcandy has no fat that it won't add pounds. I just sit on the side of the couch where I can't see him while I'm watching TV & have my healthier foods as not to want his candy & icecream. By doing this he is starting to feel unhealthy:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Also,it probably get him to think about how my weight lose is "working" for me & not "working" for him without saying a thing:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's so hard I know....If only we could "buy" WILL POWER:sad: Just keep trying or work out more in the mornings so you can allow for those "treats" & maybe have less of them. :drinker:
    LOL my boyfriend was doing that to me...he was eating mcdonalds infront of me at night ...devouring french fries (my biggest craving) and double cheeseburgers and he'd rub it in my face about how good they were...i wouldnt say a thing because I've been harping on him for a few yrs now that that crap is gonna catch up with him and make him sick and he refuses to listen...but then he had a doctors visit and was shocked when the scale tipped over the 300lbs marker...now he's eating healthier granted its only been about 4 days but he's doing great....except at night he's always craving food as well .....so i made some sugar free pudding and sugar free jello with fruit in it....or i set aside one serving size of pretzels or gold fish....but I think he feels bad now about eating all that yummy bad food infront of me at night because he knows what the cravings are like now lol
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You know, I've always had the same problem, but this spring I found a solution that seemed to work well for me: a normal sleep schedule. I've always been a chronic insomniac but I just got sick and tired of losing half my day to my grogginess because I didn't get to sleep until 3 am, so I started taking OTC sleep meds regularly (and living alone really helped too). Now I've graduated and I'm living wih my boyfriend over the summer before leaving for grad school and working second shift at a restaurant, and I could just die. It's extremely frustrating. I've determined to make fitness my priority this summer instead and tough out the food aspect as best I can until I can get away and get back to a normal schedule. It's easiest to simply beat my cravings to the punch and be in bed and asleep by the time they hit. :blushing:

Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you!
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you have a craving, go for a walk? I do whenever I feel like binging and because your appetitite is suppressed when you work out, by the time you get back, you're not even "hungry" and no longer have cravings. I don't know if this something you could do because you have kids, but it's just a thought.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I plan for my cravings. Eat all my previous snacks on time, fill up on dinner, and plan for my evening snack. I always want to get in bed with something...and watch a show for a bit before I fall asleep. I know this, so I plan for it. I've had low fat pudding planned, or low fat ice cream, or peanut butter/celery, crackers w/peanut butter, or cheese and hot peppers, or whatever I'm in the mood for.

I make sure I'm reasonably full so it isn't actual hunger, but habit, that is driving me. Then I give myself what I want (and still stay in budget) :bigsmile: .
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I bring all my food to work, so I do really well during the day, but at night.... I too have a two beer a night habit, and I don't like lite (read: cheap) beer! That's an extra 300 calories a day! I have cut back to only one.....:sad:

I don't snack much because we don't eat until late. I have an hour commute, so I don't ever want to walk in the door and start cooking, so we never eat until 8 or 9.
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Options
    I think I could quote everyone in this thread! I can relate to all of you! I don't drink, but, I do have to take meds for insomnia. They have a side effect of "sleep eating". In my case, I'm awake, but its like I have no control over what I am eating. I have come to the point of lowering the calorie intake of my meals to under 250 cal because I never know what I'll get into at night. My husband reminds me so much of what u all talk about! He has always been very athletic, but now, at 34, he is no longer playing sports, but is a umpire and referee.He eats so terrible and gets upset with me when I don't buy little debbies, cookies, and pretty much anything bad for you. I do my best to resist all of the goodies in the house. I do a really good job of it until late at nite. Ok, done venting! Good luck to everyone on this topic! I thought I was the only one!

146230.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I am starving when I get home from work, even though I take a good lunch. I make sure to always have a supply of ready-to-eat veggies and fruit on hand. Once I've had a big helping of those, I can settle down and think about making a healthy dinner instead of getting take-out because I'm too hungry to wait.

I also like red wine and need to save calories for it during the day, or do extra exercise when I can. But I don't have any late-night cravings because I'm the worlds biggest party pooper - start nodding at 9, bed at 10 :yawn: