Cooking Veggies

Options
I'm wanting to detox my body in a very healthy and ongoing way. I'm growing tired, physically, of these food products with chemicals and so many processed BS. I want simple foods where I know all the ingredients very easily.

I've decided to clean up my eating habits and eat more veggies and salads for lunch and dinners, incorporating chicken and beans, etc so I get everything I need nutritionally.

My question is this...if I were to cook say, squash or a veggie and make that my entree then what spices do I cook it with to make it taste better than just a veggie. I want them to be flavorful and filling. Please help!

Replies

• mycovington
    mycovington Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I usually steam mine and I like to keep it simple with just lemon juice, salt, and pepper :)
  • tdegie
    tdegie Posts: 14
    Options
    I use a lot of mrs dash seasonings... Especially the tomato basil.
  • Inchoately
    Inchoately Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love roasting veggies. You get a more nutty and full flavor by doing so.

Asparagus--toss with a little salt, pepper, minced garlic clove, and just enough olive oil to coat. Throw in the oven at a high temp...425-ish or you can broil them. Just keep an eye on them. They usually take 5 minutes or less.

You can do the same with brussells sprouts. (Cut them in half.) When they're roasted they become crunchy on the outside and nutty and soft on the inside. It's also good to toss them with shallots (or any onion) and sundried tomatoes. They're also great with bacon, but what isn't?

I also have fallen in love with kale. It's great in soups. You can also make a kale salad with ginger, a little olive oil, garlic, sesame seeds, matchstick carrots, salt and pepper. Or, if you're feeling lazy and have a Whole Foods, their premade garlicky kale salad is pretty amazing.

I've started to make soups--throwing in whatever veggies look good, maybe some ground turkey, and some sort of bean. I try to keep low sodium chicken stock on hand.