I'm really cunfused about my weight

Options

Replies

• fidget77
    fidget77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" tall and weight 161 lb but I'm wearing size 4/6 in jeans and size S/M in shirts. all my friends that are about my height and wearing bigger size than me, weight less for some reason. How can it be?

i just have to say....WTH? I am same weight and height and I wear 12/14. Someone jipped me somewhere!

As previous commentors were saying.. body composition makes all the difference. I am also the same height and weight and I wear a size 8. Trying to get down to the 4/6 range!!
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Is this someone trolling?

I have the same stats and wear a 12/14...I don't even see how you could be in a 4/6 but good for you!
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" tall and weight 161 lb but I'm wearing size 4/6 in jeans and size S/M in shirts. all my friends that are about my height and wearing bigger size than me, weight less for some reason. How can it be?

i just have to say....WTH? I am same weight and height and I wear 12/14. Someone jipped me somewhere!

ALMOST the same for me. I'm 5'3" tall and weigh 147 lbs. wearing sizes 10/12! I've been jipped also!
  • Gemmageldmacher
    Gemmageldmacher Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above posters about muscle, that's definitely a key factor. The other one is frame - you may just have a smaller frame than your friends. I am 5'6, 145 and in size 6...I outweigh most of my friends in the same size and similar height by at least 20 lbs!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    People are different. There are many, many reasons that could cause this. Different body structures, different amounts of body fat and muscle. Your bones could weigh more than their bones. They could have less or lighter organs than you.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat! It just takes up less space!
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I would take a guess and say that your friends have more body fat then you do muscle weighs more then fat does which is why you can be the same height/weight as someone else but they would be in larger clothing sizes. :flowerforyou:

Muscles weighs the SAME as fat ... it just takes up less space pound per pound. That would probably explain it. Two people can be the exact same height, weight, age etc but fit into different sized clothing based on body fat %, muscle mass, fat distrubution etc.

It tends to annoy me when people say muscle weighs more than fat! ha ha... it weighs the same! Just takes up much less space.

I had to walk away from a lady at work once when she told me a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat.
    I love you for this post. 5lbs. of fat is the same weight as 5lbs. as muscle, but muscles takes up a ton less space.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and when I was 160, I was a size 14. Im 120 now and in a 4.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options

You're keeping the wrong thing constant. The OP wondered why she was heavier than her friends who wear the same size as her. SIZE is the constant here, and if you have two bodies of the same size but one is more fat and one is more muscle, the muscle body will be heavier because muscle is heavier than fat OF THE SAME SIZE.

To make it even more simple - take two pairs of size 4 jeans, fill one completely with muscle and one completely with fat. Which one will weigh more? The one filled with muscle.
  • whatluckycat
    whatluckycat Posts: 52 Member
    Options

That's what she is saying.

If you take a cubic inch of fat and a cubic inch of muscle, the muscle will weigh more than the fat.

Nobody is saying that a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat.
  • jsflare
    Options
    everyone is completely different, I weigh 177 lbs and wear a size 7/8 jeans, yet I am still considered overweight.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

It does not take up less space. A cubic cm is a cubic cm.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options

Nice :wink:

To reiterate - both of the following statements are true:
    Muscle weighs more than fat, when volume is constant.
    Muscle takes up less volume than fat, when weight is constant.
  • whatluckycat
    whatluckycat Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Nice :wink:

To reiterate - both of the following statements are true:
    Muscle weighs more than fat, when volume is constant.
    Muscle takes up less volume than fat, when weight is constant.

Exactly!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You will weigh more the further north or south you go from the equator. If you want to weigh less quickly, go move closer to the equator.

Do you get taller at the equator too, as you're further away from the magnetic poles

You might. We would need really big calipers to find out.
  • blueham5
    blueham5 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Woah, I weigh about 50 lbs less at 5'3 and I'm the same size as you.
  • snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3.5" and was 177 at my last weigh in. I am currently in a size 10 and wear a medium in shorts. When I got married 9 years ago however, I was 150 and in a size 4/6. I think it all depends on your body structure. I would say that if you are happy with the way you look and you are healthy, then don't worry about the number.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Its because they have a higher body fat percentage.. Im 5'6 and 256lb my mom is 5'9 and 230lb and I wear a size smaller than her for being 26lb heavier than her.. She doesn't work out, I do.
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options

You're keeping the wrong thing constant. The OP wondered why she was heavier than her friends who wear the same size as her. SIZE is the constant here, and if you have two bodies of the same size but one is more fat and one is more muscle, the muscle body will be heavier because muscle is heavier than fat OF THE SAME SIZE.

To make it even more simple - take two pairs of size 4 jeans, fill one completely with muscle and one completely with fat. Which one will weigh more? The one filled with muscle.

Thank you! I hate when people go into the whole "a pound is a pound" because yes, we are aware of this. However, a square inch of fat will weigh much less than a square inch of muscle. THAT is what the "muscle weighs more than fat" statement means, not that a pound of muscle is heavier than a pound of fat >.>
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I would take a guess and say that your friends have more body fat then you do muscle weighs more then fat does which is why you can be the same height/weight as someone else but they would be in larger clothing sizes. :flowerforyou:

Muscles weighs the SAME as fat ... it just takes up less space pound per pound. That would probably explain it. Two people can be the exact same height, weight, age etc but fit into different sized clothing based on body fat %, muscle mass, fat distrubution etc.

^^^^^^^^^^ This!

it suprises me that people still say that; a pound is a pound, whether its a pound of lead or a pound of sand whatever, it still weighs a pound

For crying out loud will you all stop arguing about semantics! She never said a pound of such and such is more than a pound of such and such. It was obviously implied as a measurement of volume.

If y'all are going to be know it alls at least don't be correcting something that doesn't need to be corrected.