weighing in

Options
How often should i weigh in? everyday? once a week? every two weeks? i don't want to be obsessive about it.

Replies

• shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    MFP recommends weighing in once a week and weighing yourself in the morning before breakfast.
  • Karmael
    Options
    I weigh in once a week, usually every Tuesday morning. I take my measurements once every 6 weeks.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Because weight fluctuates so much, the most accurate way to weigh is to do it once a week at the exact same time (eg. Before breakfast, after using the bathroom)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    How often should i weigh in? everyday? once a week? every two weeks? i don't want to be obsessive about it.

Once per week is what I do OP. I have weighed everyday before, but if the scales did not move or, God forbid, they went up a pound or something, I used to get fed-up and depressed. The scales fluctuate all the time, from day to day, it is completely normal for that to happen, but by weighing just once per week, you will see any true loss, rather than water weight or tiny fluctuations.
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week and it works for me xxx
  • tropical4321
    Options
    I agree with once a week - you don't want to get too tied to the scale....how your clothes fit is also a good measure of you losing inches. x
  • zumbagada
    zumbagada Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what works for you. I weigh every day (studies show that most people who have lost over 100 lbs and keep it off more than two years weigh every day). But I only record my weight on Monday mornings. I know full well that there will be fluctuations, and it may be entirely possible that my record date is a swing up day, but for me weighing everyday keeps me focused, although I can see how it would make some people obsessive.
  • edmoulaison
    edmoulaison Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Here's my take. I weigh myself every morning knowing full well that there will be fluctuations. This allows me to see a trend.

I think weighing yourself once a week could actually be very discouraging. Here's why. Our weight fluctuates, and sometimes, with enough sodium intake, as much as 1 or 2 pounds. If my weigh day is Friday and I happened to consume alot of sodium on thursday, my body may be holding onto excess water weight and show no change on the scale. If, on the other hand, I had weighed myself every day, I would have seen a weight loss trend earlier in the week and could brush off the odd weight on Friday.

I hope this made sense to anyone :D
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Here's my take. I weigh myself every morning knowing full well that there will be fluctuations. This allows me to see a trend.

I think weighing yourself once a week could actually be very discouraging. Here's why. Our weight fluctuates, and sometimes, with enough sodium intake, as much as 1 or 2 pounds. If my weigh day is Friday and I happened to consume alot of sodium on thursday, my body may be holding onto excess water weight and show no change on the scale. If, on the other hand, I had weighed myself every day, I would have seen a weight loss trend earlier in the week and could brush off the odd weight on Friday.

I hope this made sense to anyone :D

I do this. But then, I'm also kind of treating this like a game(You know, need to hit the next achievement/goal). My first week, though, I waited and it just about killed me trying to wait a whole week and broke three days early. So maybe I'm just unable to wait, lol.
  • edmoulaison
    edmoulaison Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's a game to me too...

And no, I could not wait either