Cheat Day vs. Fast Day

Options
I've seen a lot of people do "cheat days" once a week (I do it too!) where you eat as much as you want (keeping the foods healthy, though) without counting calories. The idea is that it shocks your metabolism to avoid plateau.

I have also seen people do "fasting days" where they eat 400-650 calories for one day, once a week. The idea is the same.

Does anybody know if these really work?? If so, which is better? Or a combination of the two? (One week cheat, the next week fast)

I don't know much about this topic, so if anybody can point me in the right direction of some research I would very much appreciate it!!

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Cheat day works for me, it has been for the past 6 months. And I don't particularly eat healthy that day either.

I've tried a fast day the past two weeks, no food for an entire day. So far I have mixed results. I lost 6.2lb last week, and only .2lb so far this week, and will probably only get to 2lb loss on the week. Small sample size, I might give it another few weeks, don't know yet.
  • kyrakoala
    Options
    Thank you!! I just like to hear other people's experiences with it, because what works for some may not work for others :)
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I do cheat days. It has always helped with weight loss. Fasting only hurt it.

Personally I don't see the point of fasting if it's not for religious or medical purposes. Your body needs fuel to function.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Try cheat day followed by a fast day. I hear it's the best way. I could never do it - a day with no food? No thanks.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Its called zig zagging your cals. I wouldnt go as low as 400 cals. I look at what cals I have to eat for the whole week and then split it out eg my allowance maybe 11200 for the week, so I may have 3 days at 1200, then 2 days at 1400 then 2 days at 2400 which comes to a total of 11200. So Im in my calorie allowance for the week, but can have high "cheat" days, but then just counter act it with low days. You dont need to go as extreme as fasting days.
  • bluberrygoo
    bluberrygoo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I fast, and it always jump starts weightloss for me. I also read in numerous fitness magazines that fasting is good for the body. I only cheat on holidays, but I still count the calories.

Everybody is going to have different opinions on this, and you need find what works for you.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I've done some form of fasting before, as well as cheat days. I lost weight on both, and didn't gain any of it back. The fasting wasn't fun though, so I won't be doing that again. :P
  • hollythehutt
    Options
    I've never done cheat days - at least, not intentionally. I have done fast days, and find that they work, but everything's best in moderation, including fasting.
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I call them "treat" days just because it sounds more positive and less like I'm doing something wrong (because I'm not).

I don't do fasting days only because a) I don't believe in ever depriving myself (especially not for the sake a few pounds) and b) I'd worry about cravings and binging afterward

I don't really know if fasting works the same as treat days, but I imagine it doesn't since it slows down your metabolism, whereas eating more actually speeds it up. But I don't know that for a fact, so maybe someone else can help better.
  • jodywalsh
    jodywalsh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "treat day" . I wiegh myself on tue AMs and usually tue is the day i treat myself to whatever i want. I dont feel deprived if i am allowed to have stuff I love here and there and makes it easier to stick with the program on the other days. I have lost 13lbs so far and feel really good about myself...which is the goal! Dont know about fasting...I like food too much :)
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    cheat day? a whole day of cheating? Really??

I prefer a cheat meal.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Try it for yourself and see. For me I just look at the weekly total. If you have a big day, have a smaller day to make up for it. I think it all averages out. But if you really want to test it, make sure you still log all your cheat day calories so you can get a scope of how your body reacted to what you did. If it's a positive reaction, do it again. If it's negative, don't repeat.

Happy Friday! :drinker:
  • auroranflash
    Options

I prefer a cheat meal.

I feel like I just had a cheat day by looking at your username. :laugh:
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options

I prefer a cheat meal.

Yes, it's often called a "spike day" in the fitness world, but programs like weight watchers usually refer to it as a cheat day. They are similar concepts. That's why I don't like the word "cheat"... it sounds like you are doing something wrong. I think it's supposed to be a day where you just eat more, and maybe have one really special "treat" (or meal like you have), but for the most part everything is still rather healthy; you're just eating more and not being so diligent about counting every last calorie.

I'm surprised you've never heard of this practice...
  • kyrakoala
    Options
    Thanks guys! I think I am going to try doing one week with a "treat day" and one week with a "fast day" then repeat for a while and see if my body likes or rejects it.

I think on fast days i'll do juice fasts (from whole veggies and fruits in a food processor or juicer) that way i don't loose out on vitamins and key nutrients.
  • auroranflash
    Options
    Watch out for too much sugar if juicing with lots of fruits... :]
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Its called zig zagging your cals. I wouldnt go as low as 400 cals. I look at what cals I have to eat for the whole week and then split it out eg my allowance maybe 11200 for the week, so I may have 3 days at 1200, then 2 days at 1400 then 2 days at 2400 which comes to a total of 11200. So Im in my calorie allowance for the week, but can have high "cheat" days, but then just counter act it with low days. You dont need to go as extreme as fasting days.
    It's called creating a calorie deficit. Carb cycling, zig zigging whatever you want to call it, has not impact on the metabolism. The whole point of a cheat or treat day is to provide a mental relief.
  • Peg5678
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas - I'm going to try the zig-zag idea as well!
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    Bump
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do fast days (twice a week). I do cheat days too I guess - well, really I just do two fast days a week and some days where I eat my TDEE and other days where I exceed my TDEE. I just prefer to not have to stick to one particular calorie goal per day.