I'm really cunfused about my weight

Options
13»

Replies

• CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" tall and weight 161 lb but I'm wearing size 4/6 in jeans and size S/M in shirts. all my friends that are about my height and wearing bigger size than me, weight less for some reason. How can it be?

i just have to say....WTH? I am same weight and height and I wear 12/14. Someone jipped me somewhere!

ME TOO! 5'41/2 and wear a 10/12!
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    If this is so and you are not using extremely vanity-sized pants, then it is probably about weight/muscle ration.

I am 5'3, for reference.

At 160 I wore a size 10 or 12. At 118 I wore a 4-6. And now that I am in between (125) I wear a 6 sometimes a very loose 8.

So yes. Weird mistery. Or vanity sizing. I mean I have a pants labeled "size 2" that I can fit into but I KNOW that is not my size.

Also, try comparing measurements with you friends or others here with your same states and/or pant size. For instance, when I was a size 4/6, my measurements were 34-25-35 and I was 118.

Also, maybe you have your weights distributed very differently. Maybe you are top heavy while you friends are bottom heavy or evenly distributed.

Hope you can solve the mistery... let us know!
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    I'm like you. I'm 5'5" and 155 (was 160) and no one believed me 'cept my doctor! lol! Muscle does appear smaller or takes up less space.. so it seems to weigh more. It still bothers me that the scale doesn't budge as much as I want it too. I did weight training for a month, loss 6 pounds of fat and gained 7 pounds of muscle, so on the scael, I gained a pound. go figure!!! so you can be smaller in size , but weigh more... just know where you are and don't compare yourself to others. it's not worth the stress! and stress can either help you or make it worse...
  • montikid
    montikid Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really am muscular. My body fat % is about 30% though. It doesn't make any sence to me :frown:

How are you calculating your body fat? Via caliper or BMI calculator?
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Is this someone trolling?

I have the same stats and wear a 12/14...I don't even see how you could be in a 4/6 but good for you!

It's possible, although I don't know whether it's a troll or not. I'm 5'2", and I weigh in at 150 and can wear a ladies 6 or a Junior 5.

(my lightest adult weight: 133; size 4 were very comfortable, as were size 3 juniors)

We're all built differently.

Although, my BF % is less than 30.

I'm curious, OP--are you large chested? Boobs are allllllllll fat.... they'll look higher. My #'s are slightly skewed because of breastfeeding too, I'm told. The BM has high fat concentrations, and it is stored in my fatty breasts... supposedly I won't get a more accurate idea of my real % until I wean my boy. That isn't happening for awhile. ;)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Okay this may be a weird question, but how tight are your clothes? Do you wear them very tight?

I am a size 3/5 and only 119 pounds
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because metric system?
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking...
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

That's what I was thinking...

I don't think so, what a weird thing to troll about! xD
  • Anamatronic
    Anamatronic Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am so glad someone posted about this sizing in stores causes me so much anxiety. I'm 5'9 and currently about 160lbs an I tend to wear a UK size 10/12 or a US 6/8 I am smaller up top I carry weight on my hips. But I am really struggling with sizing at the minute because my current clothes are a bit tight but the size up is too big, more confusing is that my 5ft0 friend wears the same size as me well at least on the bottom but she is much rounder than me and shorter.
  • Noadi
    Noadi Posts: 27
    Options
    Your frame can certainly affect what clothing size you are. Even at my skinniest in highschool when I barely weighed 120 lbs (I'm 5'6") I was a size 8/10 because I have broad shoulders and wide hips. My bone structure means I will never fit a size 6 no matter what I weigh because I can't make my bones smaller (well maybe I will with the vanity sizing a lot of brands are doing but that's the only way). And like has been stated before, muscle weighs more than fat by volume.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I would take a guess and say that your friends have more body fat then you do muscle weighs more then fat does which is why you can be the same height/weight as someone else but they would be in larger clothing sizes. :flowerforyou:

Muscles weighs the SAME as fat ... it just takes up less space pound per pound. That would probably explain it. Two people can be the exact same height, weight, age etc but fit into different sized clothing based on body fat %, muscle mass, fat distrubution etc.

^^^^^^^^^^ This!

it suprises me that people still say that; a pound is a pound, whether its a pound of lead or a pound of sand whatever, it still weighs a pound

The original point was just badly phrased - by volume, muscle DOES weigh more than fat. A cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat, hence you can be well-toned and weigh the same as someone who has substantial amounts of fat on their body. This would explain why the (probably quite muscular) original poster is smaller but weighs the same as their flabbier friends.
  • shanilachish
    shanilachish Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    ש
  • shanilachish
    Options
    Here are some photos of before and after I hope you will see the difference.

Before: (159 lb)
    scaled.php?server=515&filename=img0476oc.jpg&res=medium

After few weeks:
    scaled.php?server=803&filename=img0797s.jpg&res=medium

now: (163 lb)
    scaled.php?server=718&filename=43013210150574995683813.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=406&filename=40021710150555616538813.jpg&res=medium
  • shanilachish
    Options
    By the way I'm sorry that the photos are not in a good quality (and also my English), I just don't like taking my photos.
  • imjessly
    imjessly Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I would take a guess and say that your friends have more body fat then you do muscle weighs more then fat does which is why you can be the same height/weight as someone else but they would be in larger clothing sizes. :flowerforyou:

Muscles weighs the SAME as fat ... it just takes up less space pound per pound. That would probably explain it. Two people can be the exact same height, weight, age etc but fit into different sized clothing based on body fat %, muscle mass, fat distrubution etc.

^^^^^^^^^^ This!

it suprises me that people still say that; a pound is a pound, whether its a pound of lead or a pound of sand whatever, it still weighs a pound

The original point was just badly phrased - by volume, muscle DOES weigh more than fat. A cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat, hence you can be well-toned and weigh the same as someone who has substantial amounts of fat on their body. This would explain why the (probably quite muscular) original poster is smaller but weighs the same as their flabbier friends.

It would only be wrong if they said that a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat. Otherwise ofcourse they are referring to volume/density!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I think as women we get so stuck on the number on the scale. It's hard to overcome that. I find myself struggling over that number too, but have to remind myself that I now fit into a size 2!!! Just bought some more exercise pants and they are XS!! And yet, I am so stuck w/ the scale not saying what I want it say. I'm 5'2" and currently 127, and yet my new jeans are 2's. To hell with the scale! :wink:
  • RBRoy
    RBRoy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on a lot of factors... muscle vs. fat, style/make of clothing, how tight or loose people wear their clothes, etc. The key is feeling good about where you are. Keep up the great work!
  • shanilachish
    Options
    I was just confused because I gained weight
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I was just confused because I gained weight

I'm going to assume you are working out. You are transforming your body and building muscle. There are many people here who have gained weight by building muscle at the same time they are trimming their bodies down. This is why it is so important to take measurements to track your success. Girl, you're in a size 4 now, does the number on the scale really matter at this point? ;) It shouldn't.