One cheat day a week ?

Options

Replies

• mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't "cheat".
    There is nothing that I can say that I would not eat.
    It all depends on if it fits within my daily calories. and if it caused me to go just a little bit, that's quite alright.
  • claire7090
    Options
    Don't call it a cheat day - I always tend to go over on Sundays because it is a family day and involves a roast dinner and a pudding. I think it is good to have a day where the calories are logged but not worried over. I have reached my goal - it took nearly 6 months to lose 28lbs but I am confident that I can keep it off because I understand the food/exercise equation much more having had mfp by my side. Life has to be life otherwise you will never suceed - if you were exceeding your calories every day then it would be a worry - but a family day each week where life does not revolve around the calories is good for the soul!
  • Dianekent2
    Options
    Your right!!l
  • simplykate09
    Options
    I'm not going to sit here and tell you that what anyone is saying is wrong but I am going to tell you what works for me. 80/20 I believe most people call it.. where 80% of the time you eat healthy and the 20% is eating what you want. Throughout my entire weight loss never have I denied myself what I want. The key is this, instead of eating that entire serving of chips or candy, take 2 chips or take a piece of candy. If you want to eat what you want on that Sunday, then make sure you eat lighter meals the rest of the day. I did read about someone having a weekly intake.. that's great!

Don't focus on one day, focus more on a weekly basis, say your intake is 2000 cals/ day your weekly intake for that week is 14,000 ... now say sunday comes around (think of it as a spanish calendar week.. Monday- Sunday) and you've only consumed 11,000 calories Monday-Saturday, you have that extra 1,000 calories anyways.

The point is don't call it a cheat day, don't limit yourself, just eat healthIER for the most part and don't make yourself feel like you can't have this or that just learn little tricks for you.

Hungrygirl.com has some tips for eating out

Best of luck :)
  • ItsVJ
    ItsVJ Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi there. My usual Spike Day is Sunday, unless I have some big event coming up (special dinner out, etc.) The whole point is totally psychological. I feel the "freedom" of eating what I want, but the reality is I still find myself being careful about what I eat. I say go for it. Most of us need all the emotional help we can get, and if "relaxing" about your food intake one day a week does that, then all the better.

:-)
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz said its ok to have 1 cheat day a week. Just don't over do it. I do it and still lose weight.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I think one meal is fine. Try it out for yourself. It only doesn't work for some because 1 meal could turn into rationalizing it into multiple meals or some other reason.
  • jcrooks85
    Options
    I think it's pretty common, and from what I have heard from others it seems to help. My day is friday.
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    my sister lost over 50lbs and still went out for a pizza on saturdays it was her one thing and she still lost the weight and has kept it off for 4 years
  • GennetteD
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with a fat day.

There is a proven fact that you stick more to your diet, if there is one day where you get to cheat and eat whatever you want.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Don't call it a cheat day...we all need to treat ourselves every so often! The way I look at it, don't do it everyday, but every so often it's fine! Every night I have a small treat, and every so often I go out for a treat or for a meal with friends or family. :) I've found that times like that actually help with breaking my plateaus as well!
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Cheat day today (call it what you like, it is what it is)....mmmmmmmm
    1162901-Giordanos-Chicago.jpg
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    you are creating a life style here this is the way you are going to live for the rest of your life so that means some times events will happens weddings maybe celebrations you will go out and have a good time because that is what you need to do to live a normal happy life that said I cheat on all types of things I have cheat days I go way over on my exercise hours and calories burnt these usually follow closely a day I eat more than my daily plan but it all averages out I have living this way since May of 2008 and it works for me
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My co-worker and I call refer to it as "free". She actually has a free day once a month, and doesn't log anything. I, on the other hand, have a free meal once a week. I have a problem with control and not logging for me makes me feel like I don't have control. I don't mind seeing the red numbers that day and try to keep my weekly calories where they should be. I've only gone over my weekly numbers one time, I didn't plan ahead very well that week. :/

Thankfully I've lost consistently.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Cheat meals are what keep us sane!
    But remember, it's a cheat MEAL. I can't do cheat meals, because I turn it into a cheat binge, which defeats the purpose.
    Just make sure you're not wasting thousands of calories on one 'meal'. Be sensible about them.
    That's what I think anyways :)
  • marynmarty
    marynmarty Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    No I don't think having a cheat day is bad....They say to never let yourself give up all bad food completely as it will be harder for you on your diet. I use to have my cheat day every week on weigh in day. That way I have a whole week to lose it. BUT I did find after so long it sort of makes you sick because your body isn't use to that food anymore so I actually notice I feel worse if I have a cheat day. Enjoy your cheat days as it does keep you sane!!!!!! Go with what your body tells you.
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I believe that a weekly "cheat" day is important. If it works for you.
    I use mine to splurge when out with friends or to enjoy some cocktails.

In general I try to keep my total weekly calories under goal. Even with the cheat day. That means that during the week, I don't always eat back my exercise calories. My cheat day also seems to help me psychologically. I can sort of skip over the cookies at work and think to myself that I'm saving that splurge for cheat day.

And, it's purely anecdotal, but I think that varying the number of calories you eat on a day to day basis keeps your body from adjusting to your caloric intake. Bro-science, maybe, but it works for me. I've lost 2 pound/week, every week, for over 6 months.

Good luck!
    John
  • honeydoozy
    honeydoozy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with a fat day.

Now, this is interesting to me. "Fat Day".

I kind of like it.

If I call it my Fat Day, perhaps I will be inspired to make better choices, as I indulge in my freedom of choice. I'll still eat the macaroni and cheese (omg, omg, omg) but if it's Fat Day, I'll be reminded to go easy on it, or be FAT again. Hmmm... interesting. :huh:
  • dollymixsix
    Options
    I do! Once a week I don't log calories and just eat what I want. I don't go crazy but I have a few treats.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I agree with a majority of the posters...I am not really on a diet, I watch what I eat and get in regular exercise. But yes there is one day a week where I may take a day off from exercise and have something that may be deemed "unhealthy." We are need to let our hair down and relax.