protein

Options
is it all right to go over the protein requirements on here? if so what are the down falls of it?

Replies

• getfit4u89
    Options
    bump
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    is it all right to go over the protein requirements on here? if so what are the down falls of it?

I try for a gram per llb body weight a day. Sometimes I'm over, but better over on protein than sugar, fat and carbs I say...
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    BuMp
  • jademh
    jademh Posts: 94
    Options
    With heavy workouts and whatnot protein is the most important thing, at least compared to carbs, sugars, fats, etc. I go over in protein almost every day (I drink a proteins shake for breakfast every morning after a workout) and i lose weight at a very steady pace...know why? protein keeps me full MUCH longer :D i try to have higher protein content, because I know how important it is. Not excessively high though.....
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you are working out very intensely you can bump it up to the 30- 35% range, but if you rae working out regularly I would keep it in the 20-30% range... Protein is used for rebuilding muscle and if you are not working out that hard you do not need any more than 20-30%.... if you do eat more you will get excess nitrogen in your body from the extra protein and your kidneys will have to filter out all of that nitrogen, thus putting a strain on your kidneys... all you do is pee it out, so there is not really a point than going over those values.....
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I've reset my goals to 40% carb, 30% protein, 30% fat. The automatic ones are very low, and that's what I kept hearing was a good percentage.
  • Jean1Marc
    Options
    I've read a lot on this since initially picking up Atkins' book about a dozen years ago. As someone else mentioned, better to go over in this category than in almost any other. Your body will not "use" more protein than it needs, but it also won't turn it into globs of fat as it does with sugars and simple carbohydrates. Read something about the Atkins diet, or better yet, pick up a copy of "Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights" by Alex Hutchinson. He reviews decades, even centuries, of studies and myths about various aspects of diet, exercise, weight loss, and related topics, and the book absolutely explodes most of what you hear at the gym, on TV, and from the government.
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    Absolutely go over MFPs suggestions are way to low. Try changing macros to 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. That protein will keep you feeling full longer.

6143704.png
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    For me, I actually try and go OVER my daily recommended amount.
    But that's because I'm vegetarian and it's a necessity to feeling more energized.

Also, what @jademh said is very true, filling on protein keeps you feeling fuller throughout the day.
  • ashliehawk
    Options
    With heavy workouts and whatnot protein is the most important thing, at least compared to carbs, sugars, fats, etc. I go over in protein almost every day (I drink a proteins shake for breakfast every morning after a workout) and i lose weight at a very steady pace...know why? protein keeps me full MUCH longer :D i try to have higher protein content, because I know how important it is. Not excessively high though.....

What kind of protein shake do you drink? I was asking on here if maybe I should be drinking any kind of protein shake but didn't get many response like 2 ppl. What about whey protein? I am trying to lose and be lean and I workout pretty hard 5 or 6 days a week..
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    In general, yes.

The MFP default settings are pretty low for protein, and unless your are eating an awful lot of protein (> 150g a day) or have kidney problems, it shouldn't be an issue.

protein is very important if you're doing any strength or weight training, as its needed for muscle building.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Absolutely go over MFPs suggestions are way to low. Try changing macros to 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. That protein will keep you feeling full longer.

6143704.png

I use these macros too. 40/30/30 isn't for everyone, but it does create a diet higher in protein than MFP suggests by default.
  • victoria2107
    Options
    I am just starting as a vegetarian- what do you suggest for sources of protein? I am definitely feeling a lack of it, and I want to work out but not exhaust my body.
  • glenr79
    Options
    An excess of any macronutrient will get converted to fat... I think I saw someone say that if you ate too much protein it wouldn't get stored as fat, that is false
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    but it also won't turn it into globs of fat as it does with sugars and simple carbohydrates.

Sugar and simple carbohydrates will not turn into globs of fat unless you are eating in a calorie surplus, at which time protein would fall into the same category and become stored energy.
  • zenJes
    zenJes Posts: 198 Member
    Options

6143704.png

I use these macros too. 40/30/30 isn't for everyone, but it does create a diet higher in protein than MFP suggests by default.

I workout heaps and always go over my protein, but was wondering how do you actually change mfp default settings??? also when do you think you need to up your protein enough to go onto protein shakes?? i do 2 workouts on one day then one the next and so on, with one day off a week..
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    If you are working out very intensely you can bump it up to the 30- 35% range, but if you rae working out regularly I would keep it in the 20-30% range... Protein is used for rebuilding muscle and if you are not working out that hard you do not need any more than 20-30%.... if you do eat more you will get excess nitrogen in your body from the extra protein and your kidneys will have to filter out all of that nitrogen, thus putting a strain on your kidneys... all you do is pee it out, so there is not really a point than going over those values.....

High protein diets do not put a strain on the kidneys unless you are eating freakish amounts of protein or if you have any sort of health issues/problems with your kidneys. High protein diets are excellent for weight loss. You consume calories from protein, fats and carbs. So, if you aren't consuming a lot of protein, then most of your calories come from carbs and fats. And MOST people aren't active enough to utilize all the carbs they intake.
  • glenr79
    Options
    I highly suggest that you look into eating GOJI berries..... they have more amino acids than any other plant source... they have 18 amino acids and there is 20 total.... and also they have 90 antioxidants in the, probably the healthiest food on the planet and super tasty
    I am just starting as a vegetarian- what do you suggest for sources of protein? I am definitely feeling a lack of it, and I want to work out but not exhaust my body.
  • catic
    catic Posts: 156
    Options
    Yes! I strive for a high protien low carb diet! protien is great to build musle and use up fat stores! GO PROTIEN!
  • jjteddy1982
    Options
    DOES ANY ONE KNOW ABOUT A GOOD PROTEIN WITH NO SIDE EFECTS DURING PREGNANCY??? (IS FOR MY WIFE LOL)