numb feet from running shoes

I am trying to get into running. I just recently got new running shoes (Asics Gel-enhanced ultra). I did not do the store analysis or anything. Just tried on some. (yes, I'm very new at this)

I've only done some in-door wearing/exercise with them and within 10 minutes of wearing them my feet go numb. Is it because they are too small (I got the same size as I would a casual shoe)? They just need to get broken in?

Any advice?

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    I know that when my toes go numb, I usually need to loosen up my laces (but that hasn't happened for a very long time, so it might not always fix things)
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    You've probably got them laced up too tight. When you run your feet swell. Try this before anything else.

Best wishes.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    It sounds like they might be too small. I always buy my running shoes a 1/2 size larger than my casual shoes because my feet swell when I run. It cold also be that they are too narrow or that they are laced too tight.
  • My feet used to get numb when I wore just regular "running" shoes from a department store, before I got serious about running. After getting some shoes that fit my feet (store analysis) and was told to get a half size bigger than my normal shoe size, I no longer get numb feet!
  • Loosen the laces - this happens to me a lot but it is because I have a wide foot and my shoes are rarely wide enough for me...
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    probably just need to be broken in and be loosened. i break in a new pair of sneakers around the house and the neighborhood before i use them for running or the gym.

also, i'm thinking of trying barefoot style footware. http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/11/04/barefoot-running-the-great-debate/
  • blondeboms
    blondeboms Posts: 73 Member
    I had this when i first got my asics. I loosend my laces a little and kept at it. After a few days the numbing stopped and now they are my favourite shoes, so comfy.
  • In my personal experience that happened to me when I first started working out. Just being out of shape I guess my feet got tired and feel numb and achy. Just try increasing the intensity of your workouts slowly. Good luck!
  • Babs0077
    Babs0077 Posts: 51 Member
    I would HIGHLY suggest going to your local running store. A "real" running store, not like foot locker or Champs, will take the time to tell you why your feet are going numb. These stores are usually staffed by runners and every store I've ever been into, the staff has been MORE than willing to help and advise. Take your normal everyday walking shoes with you. They can look at the bottom of your shoes and tell what kind of shoe you should be using. Do you need something for stability? Are you a pronater? Most places will watch you run up and down the sidewalk in them just to see how your body mechanics are. I went to FLEET FEET and they looked at my shoes and my feet, suggested some shoes for me. I tried them on, the girl watched me run and said, "Oh I totally have you in the wrong shoe.... come back in." She put me in the most comfy shoe EVER!! (I'm a Mizuno-girl)

A lot of suggestions on here are your laces are too tight, or your shoe is too small. I agree with everyone. You will be surprised on how different your running shoe size is compared to your casual shoe size. (Oh and another thing, if you can go to a running store AFTER you've been on your feet for a while, will help. That goes with what someone said about your feet swelling.) On Runner's World's website, there used to be an article about different ways to lace your shoes depending on where your discomfort is. It may be worth googling?

But be forewarned...... once you go into a running store, you will want to go back ALL THE TIME!!! I love my running store!!!

Best of luck!!