Is it worth it?

Options
LiMer
LiMer Posts: 112 Member
Okay, so I walk everyday at work for at least 30 minutes during lunch. I was calculating the calories burned at walking 2 mph and it says calories burn was 100-130.

Yesterday, I wore my HRM and walk the same route, same pace and same amout of time. My heart rate never to to 60%. It stayed between 47-58%. I feel I was walking fast, even my legs were kind of sore, but my heart rate stayed low. When I was done, the calories burned was 75, so I'm thinking between 50-75 is the average.

My question is, is it even worth going for that walk everyday? Will it help my matebolisn somehow? Walking faster or jogging is not an option because I walk with a group and no one wants to sweat at work.

Thanks.

Replies

• vintageprop
    vintageprop Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It is worth it because its better than nothing and sitting around isn't it? That's what I think about every time I wonder if its worth it and it helps me get up and go every time. :)
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    yep,moving is moving.so keep it up. plus the social aspect is good too.

i wdn't count it toward my daily exercise tho, at least for purpose of calorie counting.

good job getting out there each day!
  • blessedtobefit
    blessedtobefit Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is worth it! Don't worry about the numbers. Staying active and getting away from your desk and moving is worth it. Studies have proven that walking is one of the best forms of exercise. They recommend just 30 minutes a day/5 days a week improves heart health along with weight loss. I add walking (10,000) steps a day to my exercise routine along with heavy cardio and strength training. Not only does it feel great to move, but toning the legs and bottom is great too. How blessed you are to have daily support with your walking buddies and as much as you depend on them, they depend on you. Keeping walking and doing something that you enjoy just for you. The work will always be there when you are done. :happy:
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! Activity is always better than inactivity. AND, your body will probably build up with the walking so you can do even more....really brisk walking, jogging, running....
    I know you probably don't want to get that intense on a lunch break, but you are still strenghtening your body with what you are doing.... AND I'm sure that your body is still working after your walk....much more than it would be if you were doing nothing....You will be getting a "residual burn" so to speak...
    Keep it up!! Stay encouraged!!! KEEP MOVING!!!
  • LiMer
    Options
    Thanks but it's so discouraging to walk for so long and burn so little. I'm still not over it....
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Thanks but it's so discouraging to walk for so long and burn so little. I'm still not over it....
    I walk everyday at lunch to at 3.5 mph at about a 5-7% incline. It's better than sitting arond all day or sitting around or eating. Moving is moving, but if you don't feel it's worth it, maybe try an incline or if you're walking outside, try walking a bit faster.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    228898.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

YES ITS WORTH IT! Are there any stairs around your walk you could go up and down them to add a little more burn....
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    do you know what? it some ways it's not really worth it. not when you can do intervals and circuit training and burn a WHOLE LOT more in that amount of time! PLUS you're building muscle which builds up your metabolism while resting...

Cindy
  • Skagirl
    Skagirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options

I hear you. I felt the same way when I got my hrm about our gazelle. I did end up moving on to find another workout that was more effective for me.
    do you know what? it some ways it's not really worth it. not when you can do intervals and circuit training and burn a WHOLE LOT more in that amount of time! PLUS you're building muscle which builds up your metabolism while resting...

Cindy
    Along this line... would your walking partners be interested in getting some fitness bands? You could do some strength training during this time 2/3 days a week and walk the others. No sweat there :wink:
  • LiMer
    Options

I hear you. I felt the same way when I got my hrm about our gazelle. I did end up moving on to find another workout that was more effective for me.

Cindy
    Along this line... would your walking partners be interested in getting some fitness bands? You could do some strength training during this time 2/3 days a week and walk the others. No sweat there :wink:

We tried videos before because there is a fitness room but only with TVs, but it was too hard for them so we went walking. Social walking... the group that I walk with are older and can't move as fast. I only walk with them because I don't like walking the skyway in downtown by myself. Besides, it's such a tradition now that we've been doing it for years. I do excercise more intensly when I get home, like jogging, I like it alot. I try doing some strenghth training but it's hard to do because I don't have any equipment.

I could try strength training... maybe bring in some free weights and try them.

Thanks everyone.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    If you're only exercising for 30 minutes, it really needs to be higher intensity. If you're working out at lower intensities, you need to go longer. I would never say that a 30 minute lunch break walk is a bad thing though. If it's something you enjoy, keep doing it- if it's not, you could consider dropping it. What if you took along a set of small hand weights and pumped those nice and hard while you're walking? That'd be bound to get your heart rate up.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I started in Jan by just not eating any more fast food and not drinking soda. Then I joined Curves gym in March. Now I am on here and I am trying to eat better. Every time I did something more, the better and faster my results got. I think that you should still walk, but also (like you are doing) go the extra effort and do something in addition.
    Even if this walk isn't contributing to your weight loss as much as you would like, you are still keeping your body working and giving yourself a little air. Clears your head before going back to work at the least. I say keep it up! Everything helps.
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    strength training.... you need a set of weights...I'm talking 2 dumbells that are heavy for you. and your body weight. push ups, etc. if possible, try to get a hold of one of the biggest loser workout dvd's.

just an idea!
    Cindy:heart:
  • Skagirl
    Skagirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Adding a set of hand weights and ankle weights would make the walk more intense and still allow you the social aspect. I say keep it up and ramp it up with weights. :wink:
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    If you're only exercising for 30 minutes, it really needs to be higher intensity. If you're working out at lower intensities, you need to go longer. I would never say that a 30 minute lunch break walk is a bad thing though. If it's something you enjoy, keep doing it- if it's not, you could consider dropping it. What if you took along a set of small hand weights and pumped those nice and hard while you're walking? That'd be bound to get your heart rate up.

second this.

Your going to have to hit it harder to get what you want.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who think this isn't really a good use of 30 minutes.

It would be better for you to take 20 of those minutes, and work out at about 75% HRmax and use the other 10 minutes to change clothes and (shower if you need), you'll burn a few more calories, and much more importantly, working this hard will cause muscle and cardiovascular systems in your body to improve.

You don't need to work out for hours a day to become strong, healthy, and change your body. I only do about 35 minutes a day (plus 10 for shower and change), and I'm doing pretty well. Some of the best, body changing exercises are only 15 to 20 minutes long.
  • angelajiniel
    angelajiniel Posts: 115
    Options
    I work in an office setting and know that sometimes it's not practical to expect to be able to do circuit training or take a shower during your lunch break (especially in only 10 minutes!)

I walk for 30 minutes (at about a 16-17 min mile) and get in around 1.75 miles and 250 calories. I don't usually get too sweaty to go back to work, and I feel so much better the rest of the afternoon. Even without the calorie burn, it would still be worth it for me just to get outside and get some fresh air and get my blood pumping a little!

I don't have a group to slow me down and I really push myself, so I know it's not exactly the same. Instead of using it as a cardio workout, just see it as a way to make yourself feel better and it can be a great way to work through soreness from a harder cardio workout the night before :)

Keep it up!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I agree with angelajiniel and Skagirl use weights to ramp it up. I use 5-8 pounds and its good for the arms. Whether or not you keep doing it depends on your motivation. I enjoy doing leisurely strolls. Sometimes it's more about helping others be healthy and socializing (like when I walk with my grandma). If quitting will negatively impact your working relationship I say keep doing it. It will cause less stress in the long run. You can do a good intense 30 min workout after work.
  • GetFitBy2010
    Options
    It's worth it. I used to do and lose weight without knowing it.
    Walk during lunch, it makes the lunch hour seem to be longer.
    It 's also relax me, release stress from work.
    Event tho the walk did not burn much calorie but it reduces the cotisol (sp?), less stress...
    make it easier to lose weight. Also it meant I don't go out for lunch, save money & each less calorie also.
    :wink: