How do you decide WHAT to eat?!?

Options
Duckz1
Duckz1 Posts: 145 Member
The conflicting information out there on WHAT we should eat is astounding. For example, I read Robb Wolf's The Paleo Solution that recommended following the diet our ancestors supposedly ate: meat, fish, veggies, fruits, NO process foods, NO grain products, NO dairy. The author claims that grain makes people sick because we evolved as hunter gatherers. Then I watched the documentary Forks Over Knives and the takeaway message from that is that meat WILL kill you and it is responsible for just about EVERY illness that plagues us. FOK advocates a plant-based diet of whole, unprocessed foods, NO meat, NO dairy.

So we agree...lay off the unprocessed foods. Other than that these two viewpoints couldn't be more different. The first guy claims that eating a vegetarian diet nearly killed him, the FOK people say that eating meat will kill you. And these are just TWO of the COUNTLESS schools of thought on what makes up the "best" diet for people.

I'm inclined to say, "moderation in most things for most people" and leave it at that, except I DO find that I have an issue with overeating carbs. One might call it an addiction to carbs. And I can overeat just about any kind of grain product, doesn't matter if it's super healthy whole grain bread, or kraft mac n cheese. I'm capable of binging on either. You won't catch me doing that with meat, fruits, and veggies.

I'm not necessarily asking you to tell me how I should eat. Rather, I'm asking how YOU decide what to eat. How do you wade through the plethora of information and misinformation and come up with a good, healthy, functional diet for your lifestyle?

Replies

• jamierose86
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in the food pyramid...And everything in moderation.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Do I like it?

Does it taste good?

Does it fit into my calorie goal for the day?
    If not, can I get in a workout to make it fit?
    If not, do I really want it anyway, enough to give up progress for today?

This is how I decide. No foods are verboten. I'm not afraid of HFCS, diet soda, or preservatives. Better life through chemistry.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I think to myself, "I'm hungry.. what sounds good?" ... then I think about things I want to eat. If one of them fits in my calories and macros, I have that.
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Do I like it?

Does it taste good?

This is how I decide. No foods are verboten. I'm not afraid of HFCS, diet soda, or preservatives. Better life through chemistry.

This!

Some people swear by Paleo diet or Atkins or whatever. I know that I would definately not stick with either and this is a lifestyle change that I want to keep up for the rest of my lives. So I eat what I want, when I want, in moderation and in respect to my calorie goals.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    For me I don't follow any one thing, it's really whatever I want within reason. I try to avoid bread, and use wraps and stuff, mainly because the bread just seems to sit there. But other then that there's nothing I really avoid.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I work it out with math.
    equation008.gif
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    For me I don't follow any one thing, it's really whatever I want within reason. I try to avoid bread, and use wraps and stuff, mainly because the bread just seems to sit there. But other then that there's nothing I really avoid.
    Breads and wraps are pretty much the same thing, nutritionally. Calorically too.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    The conflicting information out there on WHAT we should eat is astounding. For example, I read Robb Wolf's The Paleo Solution that recommended following the diet our ancestors supposedly ate: meat, fish, veggies, fruits, NO process foods, NO grain products, NO dairy. The author claims that grain makes people sick because we evolved as hunter gatherers. Then I watched the documentary Forks Over Knives and the takeaway message from that is that meat WILL kill you and it is responsible for just about EVERY illness that plagues us. FOK advocates a plant-based diet of whole, unprocessed foods, NO meat, NO dairy.

So we agree...lay off the unprocessed foods. Other than that these two viewpoints couldn't be more different. The first guy claims that eating a vegetarian diet nearly killed him, the FOK people say that eating meat will kill you. And these are just TWO of the COUNTLESS schools of thought on what makes up the "best" diet for people.

I'm inclined to say, "moderation in most things for most people" and leave it at that, except I DO find that I have an issue with overeating carbs. One might call it an addiction to carbs. And I can overeat just about any kind of grain product, doesn't matter if it's super healthy whole grain bread, or kraft mac n cheese. I'm capable of binging on either. You won't catch me doing that with meat, fruits, and veggies.

I'm not necessarily asking you to tell me how I should eat. Rather, I'm asking how YOU decide what to eat. How do you wade through the plethora of information and misinformation and come up with a good, healthy, functional diet for your lifestyle?

I now stay clear of sweets, cakes, chocolate and anything that is high in calories but empty.

I eat what I am going to enjoy. I steer well clear of any foods that make me "shudder" as I swallow them, if I do that they are doing me no good is how I look at it.

Ironically, I always thought people that preferred savoury stuff were lucky, in my view, at least they were eating stuff that was better for them than what I was doing who loved sweet stuff. However, now I think I am the lucky one, because by savoury stuff not really being my absolute favourite, I am unlikely to binge on it.

I adore Quorn, I eat loads of that.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I agree, it is so confusing reading the different plans and studies. This is what I shoot for:
    1. Lots of veggies of all colors
    2. Fruit
    3. Water or tea as only beverages
    4. lean protein (mostly fish and chicken, very little red meat). I also try not to eat any form of meat a few days a week
    5. whole wheat and whole grains
    6. limited dairy and limited eggs
    7. trying to work in more healthy fats (almonds, avocado, not "healthy oils" as much)

I try to limit anything fried, less packaged food, try to get some raw food in every day.
  • swellen
    swellen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat loads of processed food, but honestly that's often more about my budget! It's far cheaper (and tastier) to cook fresh food than buy processed. I consciously try to eat dairy or dairy substitutes, just because if I don't pay attention to that I can go for days with NO dairy at all, but other than that I ignore all the documentaries and eat the things I enjoy. Severe restricting or cutting out entire food groups only makes me binge on something else. Moderation and variety works for me.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Oh one more thing to add: my basic effort is to look for those items that are low calorie but high in nutrients. I want to eat things that give my body want it needs. Try watching Forks Over Knives and Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. Might confuse you more but I took away things that I am glad about.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I eat meat AND dairy. Just lean cuts and fat free.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I say if it doesn't upset your stomach or cause you health issues eat what you want!

I eat what I want but I try to eat clean and stay away from processed foods. I bake my own bread and cook my own lunch meats. The only down fall I have is I love greek yogurt and cheese.
  • newbs4
    newbs4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do I like it?

Does it taste good?

My thoughts EXACTLY! :)
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I feel like eating, and in moderation.

I always make the best choice in a given situation, but that's the best choice for me. I won't choose a salad at McDonalds, for instance. I don't like them. Instead, I go for, say, a chicken wrap.

That's all there is to it, to me. I don't pay attention to the 'science' behind anything I eat, or to any 'expert' opinions on food.
  • johncaraher
    johncaraher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Michael Pollan ("In Defense of Food" and other books) has a nice rule of thumb. If it's something your grandmother (or great-grandmother) would recognize as food, eat it. (In other words, think 1950 or earlier.) He also says if a food makes a health claim, avoid it.

I'm not a fanatic about this, but it's amazing how much better it feels to eat something when you know exactly what's in it.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I do eat meat but I try to find organic whenever possible, if not then I look for grass fed meat. If you eat lamb that is supposed to be the cleanest food because it is solely grass fed.
    Here is some information re: the grass fed meat from American Grass Fed Beef.com. Likely some bias here but other sources I have read confirm.

"Grassfed products tend to be much lower in total fat than grainfed products.

The CLA Bonus The meat and milk from grassfed ruminants are the richest known source of another type of good fat called "conjugated linoleic acid" or CLA. When ruminants are raised on fresh pasture alone, their milk and meat contain as much as five times more CLA than products from animals fed conventional diets.12
    CLA may be one of our most potent defenses against cancer.

In laboratory animals, a very small percentage of CLA --- a mere 0.1 percent of total calories ---greatly reduced tumor growth.13 Researcher Tilak Dhiman from Utah State University estimates that you may be able to lower your risk of cancer simply by eating the following grassfed products each day: one glass of whole milk, one ounce of cheese, and one serving of meat. You would have to eat five times that amount of grainfed meat and dairy products to get the same level of protection.

There is new evidence suggesting that CLA does reduce cancer risk in humans.

In a Finnish study, women who had the highest levels of CLA in their diet, had a 60 percent lower risk of breast cancer than those with the lowest levels of CLA."

The other problem is that grass fed meat is hard to find. Usually find it in the smaller markets or health food stores where they get it from local ranches. Lamb of course is grass fed.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I eat high fat, moderate protein and low carb. It's cured my reactive hypoglycemia and I've lost 60 lbs. To each his own! :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If someone is talking in absolutes in regards to what not to eat, i ignore them (with the exception of synthetic trans fats). Like the whole don't eat processed foods is a bunch of BS, zomg! protein powder, milk, olive oil, frozen veggies and fruits are all processed
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I believe in Low Glycemic living. Wholegrains, protein, healthy fats. And pairing any fruits with a protein to slow its absorption.
    This way of living only eliminates crappy foods, so rather than being a temporary 'diet' it is a very healthy way of life.

Also more specifically, when I wake up, if I feel like a more carby breakfast, I go for oatmeal or a fruity protein shake, or if I feel like protein, eggs and smoked salmon :D

Listen to your body. Once you've de-bunked it's calls for junk food (It doesn't actually want it, it just needs to be reminded of how amazing good food is!) it will let you know what it needs

Good luck!