Collard Greens dilemma

Options
I have always enjoyed collard greens, but it was always with bacon or ham. Does anyone have a healthy alternative?

Replies

• Mommyofseven
    Options
    Have you ever tried them sauteed with onions, olive oil and garlic? You could even put in just one slice of chopped sauteed bacon for flavor, or try turkey bacon. My family and friends love them this way now. It's like a whole different vegetable done this way.
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Chicken? :) I don't even know what collard greens are hehe
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits into your calorie and macro nutrient goals, bacon and/or ham is fine. Just adjust the portion size.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I love collard greens. I just cook them in my steamer and add some garlic salt!
  • Talulahj
    Talulahj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Last night I cooked a cup of quinoa according to package (1 cup quinoa to 2 cups boiling water brought to simmer immediately) and after about ten minutes of simmering, I added a bunch of cleaned, cut up collard greens to the pot and covered it-let it steam/simmer for another 5 minutes on low heat and then 5 minutes on no heat.

Then I mixed in a separate bowl – ¼ cup or so fat free feta, juice from one lemon, I tblspn olive oil, 2 cloves minced garlic, a couple tablespoons of toasted pine nuts, and 2 pieces of cooked bacon crumbled. Dumped cooked quinoa and greens into feta, oil, and lemon mixture and then tossed together. It was delicious and my main course for dinner. From what I gather, 2 pieces of bacon are about 100 calories and I shared this recipe with 3 other people. So didn’t eat all the bacon. You can omit the bacon. I have done that and added cubed grilled chicken instead.

I think this is fairly healthy. Quinoa is great. The feta is fat free but adds some saltiness. The greens are great. Maybe it is an idea for you.

p.s. I also sauté them with a little olive oil and fresh garlic-salt pepper to taste and it is perfect to me and looks like others as well. :)
  • PoochPottery
    Options
    I always substitute Collard Greens for the Chard in the Eggs in a Nest recipe:

http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com/Recipes.html